280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

thxone's Turbo Resto/Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 PM
NisTuner

Yeah I went ahead and ordered one off ebay. I figured I might as go along, as in I'm really loving boost, and now I want more. I'm probably going to pull off the pop-off valve soon, but for the moment, I think I might leave it, and just see what the difference is like running about 8 psi, since it is a good safe-net.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:31 PM

Thumbs up Hood Replacement

Well I finally got off my *** and swapped my hood from my Gold '82 N/A onto my Red '82 Turbo...the contrast in colors makes me want to vomit uncontrollably but there are is no rust on the gold hood and I can put my hood emblem on it. Well...here are the pics:

Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Here are the rest of the pics:

Old 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Über User

aaaahahahaha.... think yah need paint. lol, better than rust i guess. looks like teh bumper is a little screwed up around the drivers side headlight bucket.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 PM
NisTuner

Ouch...that's yeah a bad color mixture, but at least the hood doesn't look rusted out. Maybe you could swap the gold bumper over too to help a little? Or just get some rattle cans and like spray the hood black.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
aaaahahahaha.... think yah need paint. lol, better than rust i guess. looks like teh bumper is a little screwed up around the drivers side headlight bucket.

Yeah, the whole bumper is shifter to the right (passenger side) from the previous owner...he hit a 911 some years ago...it shifted the struts behind the bumper. If you look at the pic of the front of the car without the hood on you can see they don't sit right...gonna make it a pain to put on a MSA II front air dam.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 PM
NisTuner

Is it possible to remove the bumper shock/struts and swap them out for the struts off one of your other Zs? Or are they welded into the body?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
Ouch...that's yeah a bad color mixture, but at least the hood doesn't look rusted out. Maybe you could swap the gold bumper over too to help a little? Or just get some rattle cans and like spray the hood black.
Nahh, I am gonna wax the hell out of the gold hood and at least have one shiny part on the car....it will all get painted eventually. If I get an air compressor the whole care will be gray (primer) till I get it painted.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
Is it possible to remove the bumper shock/struts and swap them out for the struts off one of your other Zs? Or are they welded into the body?
They are still good...it's the metal they are attached too, the metal is crushed on the passenger side.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:10 PM

We will see what happens when I come across an MSA II front air dam....I may be able to make it work without the struts and bumper brace.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:11 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

haha, paint a big M on it and charge McDonalds for advertising, hahaha.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31

I didn't even think about it looking like a McDonalds car....thanks alot man...thanks alot
Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by entropy31
lmao! thats funnt ****. you should do that. hahaha....
Old 07-14-2007, 05:20 PM

I got some sad and good news....first the sad, my gold '82 is now gone, the scrap guys picked it up today. The good news is I was able to save a couple of things from the car before the guy took it. I would put these in the "For Sale" section but i'm not gonna....I have the left and right arm rest (Black) the right door handle that goes on the inside of the door...what you are supposed to pull on to close the door (Black with bolts) Left and Right window switch covers (Black) the rear shock tower covers (Black) and the left and right lights for the lower rear door panels (with hardware) Somebody make me an offer, all parts are in great shape as you will see in these pics. You will have to reuse your hardware for the arm rest.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Doesn't post much...

Wow,

Those two colors together are OFFENSIVELY ugly.

Nice.

Rod.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Big Poppa

how much stuff did you strip off the gold car?, i didnt think it was in all the bad of condition to scrap paint the dang hood primer black , or something!! should have swapped over the bumper shocks, the other ones were prolly straight!!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
how much stuff did you strip off the gold car?, i didnt think it was in all the bad of condition to scrap paint the dang hood primer black , or something!! should have swapped over the bumper shocks, the other ones were prolly straight!!
Most of the Black interior pieces a while back and I have already put them in my turbo. Then what you see in the pics + the hood is what I saved...I wanted to save the engine as it only had like 90,000 miles on it and did run good except for the exhaust leak. I will miss that baby poo gold car.

As for the bumper shock mounts...I think some angle iron welded in those areas will solve that problem...ya know, kinda box out the mounts so they are straight then remount the shock and I should be good. It doesn't need to be super structural...I just want to be able to mount the MSA II front air dam if I even need the shocks.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:10 PM

Crap Crap CRAP!!! All of the sudden I have this horrid screeching coming from under the hood...sounds like a belt but I think my power steering pump is finally going the rest of the way out cause even with the Lucas in there it is getting hard to steer whereas before it would last for like a week SHITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:22 PM
The Good Twin

The belt is the right tension & it's got the proper fluid level?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Big Poppa

check the idler pulley, the bearing seizes in those all the time, just get a new bearing if thats the case
Old 07-15-2007, 05:00 PM

I am so very pissed off right now...the Turbo is now parked until further notice...I don't want to risk breaking it. The sound is definitely on the front of the engine, I just cant pin point it and it is driving me ****ing crazy!!! It needs a new PS pump for sure and maybe the pressure hose for it. The belt is the right tension with the right deflection but the pump leaks so bad that all the Lucas I put in it today is gone. I am glad I still have my '79, she has been sitting for a while but will be my DD till I can fix the turbo or sell it....at least I will have A/C now....unless someone wants to give me $500 and not a cent more for the whole 280ZXT...any takers? I am not pissed at the car but I am not fixing two cars when I only need one. So if anyone needs the Turbo let me know, I know I can get another one when I need to. $500 - Good T-5, Good R200, Good L28ET @ 11psi, Black interior, Gold Hood

Don't think I am giving up on ZX's I just want to make sure it gets a good home and this will give me a chance to save up for another ZXT in the future. I can't part it out though so it's all or nothing. Hey raythenegr0 $500 and I am an hour away, you could have a Turbo set up!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by thxone
Hey raythenegr0 $500 and I am an hour away, you could have a Turbo set up!!!!
LOOK, an L28ET in FL that has not been crushed. jump on it raythenegr0.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Über User

yeah for sure, sell your heap. raythenegr0

hmmmm.....

but thxone, its just a belt of pulley, whats the big deal? dont you ahve parts off your gold like power steering pump? belts. its not a big deal, a grinding and clunking noise in my transsmission, now thats a big deal but im not freting, i love pulling the trannies on these cars for some reason. lol. if you want to find whats squeling, remove the power steering belt, or just cut it since it probably isnt even working, and see if it stops. if so, problem solved. your belst are probably squeling from all the lucas oil dripping on them. your such a negative nancy sometimes. lol
Old 07-15-2007, 05:52 PM

yeah for sure, sell your heap. raythenegr0

hmmmm.....

but thxone, its just a belt of pulley, whats the big deal? dont you ahve parts off your gold like power steering pump? belts. its not a big deal, a grinding and clunking noise in my transsmission, now thats a big deal but im not freting, i love pulling the trannies on these cars for some reason. lol. if you want to find whats squeling, remove the power steering belt, or just cut it since it probably isnt even working, and see if it stops. if so, problem solved. your belst are probably squeling from all the lucas oil dripping on them. your such a negative nancy sometimes. lol

I know I know...it's nothing major but I don't want to sink any money into fixing it right now so better to get it to someone who needs it...I don't...nothing against it, I love the 11psi but i also love a/c, ps, and good brakes....plus I like rolling down my window with the touch of a button....I am not making a big deal out of it cause i still drive a ZX...it's not like I am getting rid of it to get a Honda.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:32 PM
The Good Twin

but thxone, its just a belt of pulley, whats the big deal? dont you ahve parts off your gold like power steering pump? belts. its not a big deal
Seriously... it's just a freaking power steering pump... that's sissy stuff. And because of that you want to sell the car? Come back when your car breaks down a thousand miles from home & have to spend $900 to get it and yourself home.

Take the freaking belt off the power steering pump... or get another pump... or fix the leak... or... sell the car.

Aye Aye Aye!!!!

Quick Reply: thxone's Turbo Resto/Project