280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

thxone's Turbo Resto/Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Über User

4 days? what are you ? lol, timing these cars is the freakin easiest. flip that **** and start it. damn!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
4 days? what are you ? lol, timing these cars is the freakin easiest. flip that **** and start it. damn!
Can't start it yet....no AFM. 3.5 days and counting till I get one.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Über User

how do you know your AFM is even bad? did you test it? anything? or just assuming?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:05 AM
NisTuner

Did you see the pics that showed the carbon track?
Old 05-12-2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by thxone
I thought I would go ahead and start a dedicated thread for my 1982 Turbo Coupe where I can combine every aspect of the Resto into one thread. In this thread I will attempt to cover the engine, the electrical, the body, the interior and the rest of the drivetrain with step by steps and pics. Who knows, I may just help some of you along the way and maybe some of you can help me.

Let me say this first. When I got my '82 N/A I was happy but it is an auto tranny. I wanted a 5 speed to make up for it and found my '79 N/A....I still wanted a turbo but after a while started accepting the fact that I might not get one. Well I did get one and it has all the things I wanted...T-Tops, 2-seater, 5-speed and black interior. What I am saying is, if you want something, you can have it. It sucks that I have to work outside in the Florida heat to get the things I want but hey...what are you gonna do right?

thxone, Mike Hood
What are you gonna do you ask ? Well what you're gonna do, is simply move to Georgia so your main homey can not only help you fix your car(s), but also ensure things are done correctly, the first time, and nothing is unnesisarily fu@*ed with. Problem solved.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks Duowing...I got the part, it is very clean and looks to be un-scathed from the trip.

Duowing is an excellent seller and I would definitely buy from him again. Product was very well packed (yes I got all the peanuts out of the part ) This is the kind of person you deal with if you want something. Again, thx's man, you rock...Go Bucks!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Über User

what is this.... ebay? lol leaving him official feedback lol. you still never said, how did you know for sure the AFM was crapped on you?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
what is this.... ebay? lol leaving him official feedback lol. you still never said, how did you know for sure the AFM was crapped on you?
Well the carbon track circuit board moves freely on its own...not the part that the screws hold down but the board itself. The copper contacts are all bent out of shape and only one point makes contact with the carbon track. The carbon is scrapped off at the beginning of the arch and the coil spring inside of that big cogged wheel has been unsprung...trust me, it is fooked. I posted pics.

The feedback is me being silly...Ha Ha....but I would buy from him again.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Über User

you should know im all bussiness by now
Old 05-15-2007, 08:20 PM

hey thxone do u want another Z? im selling mine check the marketplace,
its a 79 jus like yours. the afm is good
Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
NisTuner

Glad you got the AFM and everything is in good shape. You may need to find a little better sealant though, to seal up that cover, as what I used kinda sucked.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Dizzy question???

Ok quick question....clockwise or counter clockwise to set the timing on the turbo and what else do I need to do to set the timing at 20*?? Also, the dizzy is surprisingly easy to remove and put back in. The Oil pump coupling is not notched in the center it is a half circle as well as is the coupling on the Dizzy.

I need to get the car at TDC....HOW can I do it real easily??? I want to start from almost 0* and time her from there. Anything need to be unplugged to time the car...the book says nothing to the fact that I can see just that you have to plug the advance on the dizzy for non turbo cars but says nothing about the Turbo car...so does that mean just set it and forget it??? Help me please....the sun will be down soon and I want to drive it a bit.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
The Good Twin

Procedure is 99% the same as the n/a motor...

Hook up timing light, Start motor, aim timing light & pull trigger, watch the plate to see what degree it's currently at, set timing from there.

And yes, you do need to disconnect something... the TPS. It aids in timing advance, which you don't want when setting the timing.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:25 PM

WERD...be back soon with an update.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM

Some bitch fired up but idle is weird...not a steady exhaust not but more of a bluh bluh bluh bluh. No backfireing through the AFM So, now what do I do?
I can only turn the dizzy so far in either direction. Where are we at with the TDC thing...anyone?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by thxone
I can only turn the dizzy so far in either direction. Where are we at with the TDC thing...anyone?
TDC is when the V on the crank pully is lined up w/ the 0 degree mark on the timing plate, and when the rotor in the distrib is under spark plug wire #1. You can also set the distrib to TDC w/ the timing gun.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM

How about I went old school....timed it by ear....After I found out why it was putting....the wires are 1-5-3-6-2-4 not 1-3-5-6-2-4 like I had it in my haste. I just took it around the block...HOLY SHEET ***** FOOCKA!!!!! IT IS FAST...FAST I TELL YOU and sounds so fookin sweet...SWEET I TELL YOU!!!!!! I am in the Boost!! I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! No misses all the way to 6,000rpm!!! I am good...with your alls help of course.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:14 PM
The Good Twin

Excelent brah!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
NisTuner

Glad to hear it and welcome to the Turbo Difference.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM

I put air in the tires...took off the T-Tops and have been just driving for 45min....I love boost.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Über User

TDC is only used when re-doing the timing by dropping the oil pump and blah blah blah, if its idling right time it with the light, your ear will never be right, the will run almost the EXACT same at idle other than a lil slower or faster but on revving it will make the difference, setting between 22 and 8 degrees on my car idled teh same just a little slower or faster, nothin else really, so check it with the light.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM
NisTuner

As for disconnecting the TPS, I remember J said for him it made no difference. After I finally replaced my Ignition Module and Coil, along with basically the rest of my electrical system IE: dizzy, cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I set the timing with the TPS unplugged. The car ran sluggish when it was all reconnected, so I re-set the timing by the TPS and then the car ran incredible. I think Bleach also set his timing with the TPS connected. The only time my car ran good when I timed it with the TPS disconnected was when my Ignition Module was dieing out. Almost like that advanced timing was compensating for the other issues. Maybe I'm wrong or my car is just weird.

Also like I said before, just go get some whiteout, mark the 20* mark on the plate and the notch on the pulley. Then aim the gun, pull the trigger and just adjust the dizzy until the marks meet up, once you have it all marked, especially in the dark you will find out nothing needs to be moved out of the way, but by ear I guess just drive it and adjust it little by little until it seems to run right.

Last edited by duowing; 05-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:06 AM

I will be timing the car with the light today....I don't know how but i can see the whole Tab and pulley on the '82 Turbo but not on the '79 N/A...strange.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 AM

I got the passenger seat in the car last night....gonna start putting in the carpet and interior panels today...I took off work and went to the ER cause I feel ill...just a cold that has spread to my sinuses...I will be fine so I am gonna work on the car to keep busy. On my way to the ER I turned left down the street to the ER and had to get on it to avoid some oncoming elderly drivers and the positive pressure kicked in and the *** went right...wasn't trying to slide her just used to the '79 N/A not having any ***** where as this car is ready to go apparently when you hit the gas. I bet I could make a cool video.....if I just had a camcorder.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
NisTuner

Maybe the 79' is different in setup? I mean it would be a different block and head combo, so unless it sits just slightly different maybe?

Quick Reply: thxone's Turbo Resto/Project