280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

thxone's Turbo Resto/Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:06 PM
The Evil Twin

sounds like yours runs better than mine...
good job.

mine seems to suffer top end. Not sure if its a minor boost leak (then runs rich) or restricted exhaust. It has good torque and then just seems to fall flat after 3500.... it still accelerates but not how I think it should.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
Maybe the 79' is different in setup? I mean it would be a different block and head combo, so unless it sits just slightly different maybe?
Yeah I am 90% sure the 79 needs a clutch and a new intake/exhaust gasket and it will get it's ***** back.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:30 PM
NisTuner

Mine runs pretty much like yours, only my intake/exhaust leak was definitely causing warm-up issues. Which is almost fixed. Man I'm slow.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
sounds like yours runs better than mine...
good job.

mine seems to suffer top end. Not sure if its a minor boost leak (then runs rich) or restricted exhaust. It has good torque and then just seems to fall flat after 3500.... it still accelerates but not how I think it should.

I don't know....I am finding some minor misses in the idle....I am thinking fuel filters and maybe some other stuff and the proper ignition timing and it will go away. Still haven't set the final time on the engine yet. I have yet to romp on it from a dead stop...I have been doing rolling starts and the boost starts at almost 3,000rpm and even though around 5,000rpm or so the boost seems to level out it still pulls till 6,000...I have not tried to push it past that. I for sure found my water leak...gonna get a water pump Friday and maybe swap my radiator from my '79. That should take care of it. I got most of the interior back in. I was going to use the new carpet that the guy bought for the car but I think the molded carpet from BD will do much better.

I took my buddy for a ride in it today..the guy who has owned like nine 5.0 Mustangs and he liked how the ZXT pulled, and the T-tops. He also said it sounds much better than my N/A's.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 PM

A Short Vid

Heee Heeee Heeee.......I was babying it too. I am going to make a better clip of it really rippin. The exhaust is stock...sounds good don't it?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 PM
NisTuner

Looks like it's time to fix up your rear suspension. Quite a bit of hop in the rear though, but went good.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Yeah...I am surprised the bumper didn't hit the damn ground on that on lol. The more I play with stuff on the car the better it gets. Still haven't set the time yet...lol
Old 05-17-2007, 02:11 PM
The Good Twin

Easy fix on that rear end squat.... Mercedes 300D springs from a junk yard....
Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Easy fix on that rear end squat.... Mercedes 300D springs from a junk yard....
or just weld the rear shocks solid. It will give the same effect
Old 05-17-2007, 03:00 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
or just weld the rear shocks solid. It will give the same effect

I will do that someday! Go-kart Z!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 PM

Well I assume the shocks and springs are the same for the N/A's and the Turbo so I think since my '79 has some real good springs and new shocks on the rear I will just swap them...for the third time/third car...man those things are gettin around.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Über User

go tokiko, i LOVE saying that name! TOE-KEE-KOE
Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
go tokiko, i LOVE saying that name! TOE-KEE-KOE
Dude...you need to go out and have some sex...please...go have sex!!!! LOL

I have been looking at that set of shocks and springs (TOE-KEE-KOE's) on ebay for a while...seems like a good deal...but I also like the progressive rate Eibach springs...don't know if the "tokiko's" are progressive rate springs. I want a comfy ride till I get on it.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Über User

see i think that to ^^^^ but at teh same time, i just dont believe in springs stiffenning on their own, so thats why i want tokiko. and yes, yes i do need to get laid, but i havent really cared about doin the nasty lately, im getting my car on the roads i dont have to think about girls till after that. plus i got my hoffman condor bike fixed so im gonna pedal through town now, lol.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:39 PM

see i think that to ^^^^ but at teh same time, i just dont believe in springs stiffenning on their own, so thats why i want tokiko. and yes, yes i do need to get laid, but i havent really cared about doin the nasty lately, im getting my car on the roads i dont have to think about girls till after that. plus i got my hoffman condor bike fixed so im gonna pedal through town now, lol.
Matt still rides little boys bikes?.... You'd think being grown up he would have graduated to a Motocross Bike.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:54 PM

Hey, polished my rim a bit...Neverdull, who would have thunk it.

Before

After

Old 05-18-2007, 05:05 PM

OK, I bought a water pump today...$19...I hope it works lol.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Water Pump

Well I decided to start the water pump replacement today...holy crap is it messed up. The bearing is really messed up, before I started removing things I grabbed the fan and wiggled it...there was alot of movement and dripping at the water pump. Take a look at the build up of...well gunk on the water pump. I think this guy was running pure rust water and radiator leak sealer. Thankfully I have not found or seen any sign that the radiator has any leaks...looks good on the outside, the inside...well. If you notice in the last pic, I have a clear shot at the timing tab

Old 05-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Water Pump

The new water pump is in and working very well. No leaks of any kind, any where. Had I had someone here to talk to I think I could have done this in about half an hour to 45 min. Feels good to get in there and just do it. I was able to flush about 85%-90% of the orange colored water out of the system by filling the radiator with clean water 5 different times and spinning the old pump by hand then after the new pump was put on I filled it again with straight water 2 more times with the engine running then draining it...worked pretty well. She now has a 60/40 blend of coolant/water. I did not re-use the old pulley bolts, I bought new SS grade 8 bolts of appropriate size...a little insurance if you will. I think since I have a shop not 2 miles away that will ceramic coat any metal part for a low price, I will sometime here in the future have my pulleys done.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:43 PM
NisTuner

Glad to hear things are working out for you. All I've been doing lately is cleaning up my horrible looking paint while I wait for my gaskets. I'm hoping I can drive my Turbo again real soon.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:49 PM
The Good Twin

An easy way to flush shiz out of the coolant passages is to remove the thermostat, stick a hose in the housing & let the water come out the lower rad hose. Just for future reference...
Old 05-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
An easy way to flush shiz out of the coolant passages is to remove the thermostat, stick a hose in the housing & let the water come out the lower rad hose. Just for future reference...
Werd.....
Old 05-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Über User

there was ALOT of rust on aroun the front of that engine, was it like throwing water everywhere up there for a few years or something? lol
Old 05-20-2007, 04:01 PM

there was ALOT of rust on aroun the front of that engine, was it like throwing water everywhere up there for a few years or something? lol
No, it actually sat for 8-10 months with the same water in it and apparently no coolant so the water got unhappy. I am sure it will correct itself with the correct amount of coolant, or at least not get worse. Yes it did spray all over the hood, AFM, pulley's, and everything else in a 360* radius. I got most of it off.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Timing the Turbo

WTF? I could not find the "V" mark on the crank pulley....and there are no numbers on the tab!!! LOL can somebody help me out here. Where is the "0" mark on the tab and how big is this supposed mark on the crank pulley? Also....I was trying to time it and the mark never even showed up anywhere in the Tab area.

Quick Reply: thxone's Turbo Resto/Project