280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ticked Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:54 PM

Ticked Off

Well I started dissasembling my turbo today so I could start the port job on the exhaust side and low and behold, it's cracked The wastegate port has a crack running on two sides of it. It's a good sized crack that runs all the way down into the housing. So my turbo project isn't going anywhere any time soon But atleast I'll have plenty of time to clean and polish

Just wanted to vent that out.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Doesn't post much...

Sounds like a good time for a BIGGER turbo! Sorry dude.

Rod.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:59 PM

Yeah once I can afford one. That'll be a while But atleast now I wont have to slap it all together and then find out later down the road there was a problem. At first I was sad, then ticked, then I realized that it was a blessing in disguise to find the problem now. Still wish the damn thing wasn't cracked though.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
The Good Twin

Hold up.... can you get a close up pic of it? It seems like there were certain exhaust housings that had seams in them (I assume for thermal expansion). Anyway... they might really be cracks, but I'd like to see a pic
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM

Here's a couple pics. You cant really see the cracks too well.
In the first pic the crack on the right is the one that runs all the way down into the housing. The crack on the left is really hard to see in the pics but it's not nearly as long as the first. These go all the way through the metal too.

I thought about just putting it back on the car anyways cause the wastegate housing would keep the cracks somewhat in check. I believe it's the sole reason they've only spread as far as they have. But after thinking about it I'd rather just wait and eventually get another turbo. It means no Z for a while but I'd rather do it the right way. The car was having problems reaching full boost and now I know exactly why. Those cracks weren't allowing the waste gate to seal completely.

Sucks too cause this turbo was otherwise in good shape

Last edited by jfairladyz; 08-24-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:27 PM

Oh and on another note as far as them being seems: They dont follow a definite path. They're jagged and squiggly like they were random. Those are traits of a crack or rip and not a seam. A seam would most likely be smooth or atleast a straight line.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:33 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Oh and on another note as far as them being seems: They dont follow a definite path. They're jagged and squiggly like they were random. Those are traits of a crack or rip and not a seam. A seam would most likely be smooth or atleast a straight line.
indeed. sorry bro... that sucks. but now you have a reason to upgrade.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:34 PM

I have three of those exhaust housings, and they are all cracked like that. I ran one for years with no problems, and the crack was worse. I would say just use it. As long as it doesn't look like it was leaking exhaust, which it doesn't, I think you will be OK.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:47 PM

Now that you mention it, it doesn't look like it was leaking any exhaust at all. The area is still clean and free of any buildup what so ever. I'll have to think about it though. I've got plenty of time as I'm nowhere near putting my engine back together. I've still got to pull the head so I can port that. I'm still shaving and porting the intake manifold. Still have to port the exhaust manifold. Oh and I have to splice my wiring harness' together so I can wire up the car, etc... There's still a lot to do. So when it comes time to reassemble I can either slap that one back on there or just wait and get a new one. We'll see. But I like the idea of having a reason to upgrade.

I'm trying to get work release right now so I can pull in some extra money and get some things paid off so I can start investing in my car.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Suitable to drill a small hole at the end of the crack? Might stop it spreading further. And it won't cost anything.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:02 PM

Yeah it would stop if from spreading. But what would that do structurally to that part of the housing. It's right there at the waste gate and it gets so hot there. I suppose if I were to drill a hole at the ends of the cracks combined with the fact that the wastegate housing will provide some rigidty to the part it would probably be ok.

But there's still the whole thing about me not even being able to drive the car for a while whether I get it running or not If I get approved for work release then I'll go with the cheap route until I can afford to replace the unit. I mean worse case scenario I can just replace the exhaust housing. And then eventually just uprade the compressor side to a T4 for a little more top end potential. That way I dont have to invest too much at a given time.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Big Poppa

Hey Doesnt Sc Have Extra Turbos Just Laying Around?? He Has Pics Somewhere Of Like 4 Turbos In One Shot
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by SHADY280
Hey Doesnt Sc Have Extra Turbos Just Laying Around?? He Has Pics Somewhere Of Like 4 Turbos In One Shot
Yeah but none of mine are T/3.. J if you want I can send you my spare T/4 and a flange you would have to weld a flange directly to the manifold..
Old 03-10-2006, 05:52 PM

Naw dont sweat it man. I'm going to run the T3 for now. I owe you enough as it is
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM

Just wanted to vent a little more as I ran into more trouble. I was unbolting the oil pump today. A seemingly simple job. Well I got one bolt loose. Moved onto the next. It came loose. Then I get to the third one and it doesn't want to break loose. So I put a little more force into it and it turns a little, but barely and it didn't get any easier. I moved onto the last bolt and it came loose. So I went ahead and removed the other 3 bolts and went back to the stuck one. I kept at it (I now have a bruise on my palm) and after making almost one slow rotation the head snapped off. Great. Well atleast the pump will come off now I figured. Nope. I yanked, nothing. I tried pounding it off with a screwdriver and hammer, nothing. So I got back under the car and had a look at the broken bolt. There appears to be something up in the bolt hole with the bolt. I tried scraping some out and it's very hard. It's like somebody put epoxy in there or something So now I'm faced with the decision to cut off my oil pump So there's another delay as I no longer have an oil pump. Man I'm pissed. I would've just tried to drill the bolt out but it's like 3+ inches long. No way man, I dont have that much patience. My 81 was so well taken care of and I've never had a problem with anything braking or siezing on that car and then I get to this thing and its one problem after another

Ok, I just had to let that out cause my wife doesn't want to hear it
Old 03-13-2006, 10:41 AM

people de some weird things to there cars, thats why when they say you never know what your buying they meant it. ive seen some strange things as im sure everyone has. i recently found fire extinguisher residue under the hood of my z32, gee wonder what happened.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:03 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

MUST... FIND... FRIEND... WITH... TIG... ughhh...

I probably wouldn't recommend it on your oil pump bolt, but the heat will burn off any rust or other contaminant that may be seizing the threads... if it doesn't weld the two together or catch your motor on fire from the oil residue!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:52 PM

So anyone have a front cover they want to dispose of? Mines toast
Old 03-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Big Poppa

I Think I Got One With No Bolt Broken 20 Bucks, I Can Ship With That Ac Stuff If Needed
Old 03-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
So anyone have a front cover they want to dispose of? Mines toast
You know I got one No charge Let me know..
Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 PM

Alright, I need some help here. I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the outer CV boot off. The small end of the boot was no problem; typical CV boot clamp. But the big end doesn't look like it's even got a clamp. There is a ring around the base of the boot that looks like it may be holding the boot on but I dont want to bust out the dremel til I find out there is no other way. The inner boot was no problem. Two standard CV clamps. But this big end outer boot has me baffled. Anybody know what the deal is?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Ah screw it. I'm just going to hold on to them until I can afford to send them in to have them rebuilt. The joint is clearly contaminated and does not look like it can be easily dissasembled for cleaning so I'd rather just have them taken care of completely. It's not like I NEED them right now. I've got my U-Joint axles for now.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:27 AM

There is a real easy way to fix those cracks in the turbo....your gonna need some 30 weight ball bearings and some gauze pads and about 10 quarts of antifreeze....preferably Prestone....no..make that Quaker State....sorry guys but I am just in such a good mood to finally have a 280zx of my own, I do hope it works out for you, if I had an extra turbo I would send it to ya. Good luck man.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Well the damn home owners association cracked down on me. Bastards My Z is scheduled for towing on the 14th because they claim it's inoperable. So customizing and fabricating is now out of the picture for a while. I spent all day today slapping most of the car back together. I'm getting some parts delivered tomorrow which will give me everything I need to get her running. I still wont have a steering system though but if I get it running then atleast they cant say it's inoperable That ticks me off. I spent a good 15-20 minutes getting the damn sticker off that they put on the car. I have a crossmember coming in the mail so I'll have steering as soon as that gets here. But in the mean time I'm just hoping those ******** don't try to make off with my Z. The home owners guy came back around while I was taking the sticker off and I balled up the bulk of it and hucked it out in the street toward his truck. He sat there for a minute then he drove off. The shitty part about this is that the outside of the Z is all together. You cant tell the car doesn't run just by looking at it. I dont keep it on jackstands or anything like that
Old 04-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Big Poppa

put some insurance on it so it plays the part. yeah it runs, im just working on it a#$!$

Quick Reply: Ticked Off