280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ticked Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:37 PM

word to the wise: When you rewire your entire car, dont forget the blue charge lamp wire to the alternator. Otherwise you get a no charge condition Man that was frustrating the ish outta me...I couldn't figure out why the alternator wasn't chargin. It was seeing voltage from the battery. The ground was good. WTF!?!?!

It finally took my wife in all her ignorance to figure it out. She was keeping me company and fiddling around and she grabbed the connector to the alternator, which has provisions for two connections... she asked why there was only one wire (the W one) going to that connector. Duh... thats when it clicked that there was supposed to be a blue wire there too. Not too shabby though for wiring a car up from scratch without wiring diagrams...only forgot a couple things. Forgot to ground the fuel sender and forgot to run the charge indicator circuit. Everything else works like it's supposed to.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:58 PM

Oh, and I put on my "FREE, FREE, FREE" (sorry, had to) headlight covers on too. Word to the wise, the sticky tape doesn't like sticking to primer Use the screws too. I didn't really like the way they looked at first. But they've grown on me since yesterday. Especially from a distance. Now, if I could just find my damn camera so I could get some pics. Something tells me a certain 3 year old has been brushing up on his photography skills
Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Big Poppa

hahaha thats too funny, somebody really likes the camera, more duck pics for you, lol, im moved in now, so i should be able to ship this week j.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 AM

^^^ Thank you, thank you, thank you
Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 PM

so J that crossmember is workin good>?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 PM

yup fubar, it was perfect. I took her down the street yeterday after I got the alternator to start charging her. But while she was idling and charging she ran out of gas. I had a 1/4 gallon in a gas can so I put that in her so I could let her charge some more. Took her down the street and back. Once I can get some more gas in her I'll be able to take her on a real road trip.

On a side note: I hit 10psi of boost in no time flat yesterday too. So she boosts very quickly now. I wont be running that much boost until I get a few more parts on her, but it was nice to see it come on so quickly.

And it's also nice to have power steering back...especially with the extra weight of the turbo motor. That extra weight has my shot suspension riding low in the front. It looks like the front of the car is lowered. And if I push down on the front I can almost get the air dam to hit the ground. Hows that for weak *** springs. Shocks are good though.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:08 PM

glad to hear the crossmember did some good. Got to love part's car's.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Nice to see your car is back together and drivable.... thats more then I can say
Old 06-12-2006, 01:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Right on J, glad to hear your Z is on it's way. Keep us updated on your progress. And what is power steering? LOL! I didn't bother putting the pump back on, because it leaked. And I don't want to spend the money for a new pump. And don't want the risk of a used one, leaking also. I honestly don't know, what I would do, if I put power steering back on my Z. Because I am so used to being without it.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:56 PM

yeah it was weird having power steering. It's been about 3 years or so since I've had power steering on my Z so it feels a little weird. On top of that I made the switch from recirc. ball to R&P. The steering track is in need of aligning pretty bad though. It will drive straight no problem, but when you go to turn more then a few degrees the wheel just wants to yank in that direction. It looks like one of the wheels is just slightly cocked outwards (passenger). Well tomorrow I'm going to drive it to my grandparents where it will sit til next week when i can get it aligned and get an exhaust put on it. Then its going to make it's journey across the country. I'm going to take it on a couple hundered mile round trip cruise first to make sure everything is as it should be...and if everything checks out then it's on. Once I finally get to south dakota I'm going to get started on a custom interior. I'm so eager to get started on body work but I have to stop myself cause this body is only temporary til I can get my slick top out there.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 PM

well she made her maiden voyage to the in-laws house today (about 10 miles). I had to move her due to another HOA threat (bastards ) She runs REALLY good, and is REALLY quick. She was a PITA to control over 45 though due to the steering being misaligned. The slightest pump or dip sent her swerving in either direction. She was handful. Another problem was the cheapo boost controller I tried to skimp on. It doesn't work at all. Completely incapable of any control over boost. Sometimes it limits, but most of the time it doesn't. Checked all the vacuum lines and everything is good. It's just a peice of crap...so it's back to stock boost with no boost controller until I get a "real" one. And finally last, but not neccessarily least, the power steering idler pulley is squeeling like a motha. I've got no exhaust and all I could here for the entire drive was this damn pulley. But all in all she pulled very strong and boosts VERY, VERY quickly. I had to watch my foot to keep the boost down cause of the inoperable boost controller.

So again I call on you fellow ZDriver enthusiasts in my pursuit of a power steering idler pulley...PM me if you've got a spare. I was going to try to swap over the pulley/bearing from my ac idler, but that thing is frozen in place and doesn't spin at all. So please let me know if you can help me out with the pulley...just name you price.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 06-15-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:39 PM

can anyone ell me if the two idler pulley's are different sizes??? I'm searching around online for new ones and napa has two different sizes listed. The two they have listed are 15mm x 35mm x 11mm and 20mm x 47mmx 14mm. Anybody have any idea which one will do the power steering idler pulley?. For what they're charging I might as well just get a new bearing. I can't check it myself cause I dont have the car here with me anymore

Here's the link to the parts: http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NO...belt&VehCode=Y
Old 06-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Big Poppa

i can send you a bearing with the dash cluster j, i carry those bearings as stock in my shop, cause they seem to go, only when you dont have a spare, there like 5 bucks or something.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 PM

Shady that would be great. Just add that cost to the total of the shipping and let me know. Like I said, as early as Tues or so...and your CD will be in the mail soon...havent' been able to get down to the post office yet but it's burned. Yours and Skully's.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:45 PM

well she made it back to VA without any problems at all. I did end up disconnecting the power steering belt cause the noise from the idler was driving me nuts. The only gauge on the main cluster that I had that semi worked was the fuel gauge But I'm here and now I just have to tidy up a few things and it's off to SD (hopefully with gauges this time).
Old 06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
The Good Twin

Wahoo! All quiet on the western front...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:35 PM

where are you movin again? south dakota?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:40 PM

hey J ill be in north dakota this saturday and whole next week...lol so close yet so far away!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM

and i live in minnesota
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 AM

yeah I'll be pretty close to ND and MN as I'll be in the top right corner of SD this time around. Last time I lived out there was on the southern border, a few minutes from NE.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 PM

when I drove it before the turbo swap from CA to SD about a year ago I got all the way to within less then an hour of my house in SD when the alternator locked up and took the water pump with it So Close

I need a nav. unit...mapquest has proven to be the most unreliable piece of crap lately. Seems like they're not keeping up with road and highway changes. An example out here in VA...there are two freeways that dont even exist anymore and it has them both in different directions I've gotten off their site.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:51 AM

The best nav units I have seen (for generic installations) are the toyota camry or lexus es300 or es330 nav units.

I've seen them for 1400 bucks and not only are they sweet nav systems, but they also play dvds and have a second slot for six cds worth of fun.

They fit into a standard double din.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:46 PM

I'm selling my Z. And no this is not a joke. I need to have it sold in the next 3 days. I'm taking offers on it, no minimum.

It's an 81 2 seater with t tops. I do NOT have the title. i lost it. I'm selling this car as a parts car. If somebody wants it bad enough as a driver I can fill out a bill of sale and you can apply for a title. The title is clean, it is NOT a salvage title. I just cant find it is all and I dont have time to apply for a new one right now. The car has not been registered since 11/05 so some back fee's will be due if you decide to register it. Those are the reasons I'm selling it as a parts car. It is otherwise VERY good running car. I swapped in an L28ET from an 83 and freshened it up before installing it. It runs perfectly without a hiccup. It runs great cold or warm. No bogging, no hesitation. It just goes. It has the standard Nissan 5 speed trans (no T5) and the 3.9 rear end. The interior is practically non existant. It has the door panels, center console and the complete dash etc... Basically everything rear of the seats is gone. There is also no carpet at all. No A/C, but the heater does work. The cruise control has been pulled as well. It has power rack and pinion steering that works perfectly. The car has no bumpers, front or rear. The windshield has a small crack in it, but it's not all that noticable. I also rewired the car completely and have not yet had the time to work out all the bugs. Everything works, but some things dont work as they should. The headlights for example come on when the parking lights are turned on and one is constantly on hi-beam. However all the lights work. I also did not wire the horn back in. I also did not wire in the warning display. It also has an aftermarket boost gauge. All the gauges function. The turbo engine harness is completely unmolested with the exception of the fact that I soldered on new connectors all the way around. All around this is a great daily driver with the exception of one thing. And it is the reason I am selling the car. It needs an alignment. But before it can be aligned it needs new ball joints. The car is driveable in it's current state but it likes to dart over bumps and tends to wander a lot. It's fine for around town but I cant struggle with it all the way across the country and on top of that the tires would probably chew through before I got to where I'm going. I dont have the time to wait for the parts to come in to get this repair done. Some extras included with the car will be a set of practically new headlight covers (only been on the car a week or so), a small intercooler that I never installed, and a no name manual boost controller.

I'm located in Suffolk, VA (23434). If you want the car just make me an offer and it's yours, as is. I do guarantee it starts and drives. Like I said it is a great running car (all be it a little on the loud side do to its limited exhaust and a straight through muffler). So PM me an offer if you're interested with your offer. I need to sell this thing by saturday so keep that in mind. If you pay with paypal I can have the car held til you can pick it up (limited to a week or two). The car can be picked up and driven if you want to struggle with keeping it straight.

I know this should be in the marketplace but I wanted to give you guys first stab at it and I feel I can sell it quicker putting it up here. Plus this is my thread and I can put whatever I want in here
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention you can see the car pretty much in its current state by clicking on the cardomain link in my signature. The only difference I can think of is the headlight covers have been added.

And I should mention that the frame rails are pretty dinged up, but still completely intact. Since the car has been on the east coast it has developed a bit of rust. The lower driver side rocker has a 3" dia. hole from rust. There is small rust forming above windshield. Rust on the lower fenders where they bolt to the chassis. There are misc. paint chips here and there that have allowed surface rust to form. What you see on cardomain are very current pics and directly dictate what the car looks like at this moment. If you want more pics of specific areas of the car feel free to ask.

If nobody buys this car then my best offer comes from the wrecker.
No I wont be leaving the site, and Yes I will be getting another Z and starting over. I just have the time and money to incorporate the car into the move this time around and I have no where to store it.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
The Good Twin

Shibby dude! If it goes to the wrecker... at least yank the motor!!!

Quick Reply: Ticked Off