280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Which tie rod end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Which tie rod end?

I have started rebuilding the front suspension on my 82 NA. I have ordered the Tokico struts and springs. I also need to replace my outer tie rod ends but can't find Moog units. Which brand should I be looking for? Is one better than other or are they pretty much all the same? Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Autozone can get you some pretty decent ones with a lifetime warranty on them for a decent price. I think it was about $30 apiece. If anything you can check out blackdragonauto.com or thezstore.com for some replacements too.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 PM

Actually they are the only ones in town that stock them. But, the employees there told me that i am better off going with a quality unit. Stange that they would recommend something they don't carry over what they stock. Is Beck Arnley a better choice?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

NAPA carries them. As an engineer I find it hard to believe that one hunk of metal is better than another assuming they have the same strength. Today's manufacturing tolerances make it easy to produce parts that are equal regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:05 PM

For what it's worth, I just replaced all the tie rod ends in my steering linkage (4 of them on a '79 power setup), and just went with the least expensive ones I could find. Just buying the first ones I found (blackdragonauto) would have meant big bucks for a simple steering refresh. So I used inner ends from Raybestos, outer ends from O.E. Brand, adjustment tubes from Moog (bda), & an idler arm from Three 5. Very satisfied with the quality of all of them.

Just wish there was an affordable center link replacement on the market. The joints were still good on mine, but the boot was totally trashed so I had to jury rig a generic boot from Advance & epoxy it into place. Hopefully it stays put - it's been a couple thousand miles now so I'm due to inspect it.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 PM
i felld offa mai trike

I bought mine from Meyers Auto. they didn't have it in stock, but they came in like a day or two later, not too big of a deal, and were similar priced to vatozone
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info. Just ordered Beck Arrnley ones. Price seemed fair.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM

I changed inner and outer at the same time. If you are changing just the outer be sure and check inner before you change them. Hate to go through that work twice.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM

they sell ones for lowered applications. thats the ones i would use. stock tierods only compensate for so much angle and they blow out due to stress. this may not be an issue with how much you are lowering the datsun. but they are bad parts. im just in love with suspension parts
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Daemione
Just wish there was an affordable center link replacement on the market. The joints were still good on mine, but the boot was totally trashed so I had to jury rig a generic boot from Advance & epoxy it into place. Hopefully it stays put - it's been a couple thousand miles now so I'm due to inspect it.
Had a chance to inspect this the other day, it's hanging in really well, so it looks like my bodge job has done the trick.

In other news, though, it looks like whatever anti-corrosion coating there was on all the new pieces has completely worn off. A fine rust patina over the entire assembly now, so I'll need to do something about it come spring.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Originally Posted by acleveland38
they sell ones for lowered applications. thats the ones i would use. stock tierods only compensate for so much angle and they blow out due to stress. this may not be an issue with how much you are lowering the datsun. but they are bad parts. im just in love with suspension parts
I haven't had a problem with mine yet, and let's just say my car is "out of spec"