280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Today Is A $h!tty Day!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:59 PM

Today Is A $h!tty Day!

well...here's the story of my day, im at work, its lunch time so i go up to my beautiful 280zxt about to fill up the tank cuz i was low on gas...so i get back to work, and notice a smell...of gas? wasnt to sure, opened the hood and smelled gas, but not too strong, i walk around the rear of the car, and what do i happen to notice? a huge trail of gasoline from when i left...look under the rearend where the fuel pump is and its just SPUEING out fuel....so i immediately put out the cigarette that i was smoking...and turn off the car, replaced the hose...but it still is leaking, im thinking of a busted diaphram??
Old 11-28-2005, 02:25 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by gabrielzzz
well...here's the story of my day, im at work, its lunch time so i go up to my beautiful 280zxt about to fill up the tank cuz i was low on gas...so i get back to work, and notice a smell...of gas? wasnt to sure, opened the hood and smelled gas, but not too strong, i walk around the rear of the car, and what do i happen to notice? a huge trail of gasoline from when i left...look under the rearend where the fuel pump is and its just SPUEING out fuel....so i immediately put out the cigarette that i was smoking...and turn off the car, replaced the hose...but it still is leaking, im thinking of a busted diaphram??

trouble shootin time! NO SMOKING when doing this! Get on your knees, looking at the rear of the car & have someone turn the key to the ON position w/o starting it... then you can see where exactly the fuel is coming from.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:29 PM

yea, i tried getting under there at lunch time, all i could see from my view was it looked like it was on the very end of the hose that goes right in to the fuel pump...i was talking to a technician at work, he says it may be the fuel pump connection might be rotted out, he's gonna check it out though after work, how much could a fuel pump go for.?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by gabrielzzz
yea, i tried getting under there at lunch time, all i could see from my view was it looked like it was on the very end of the hose that goes right in to the fuel pump...i was talking to a technician at work, he says it may be the fuel pump connection might be rotted out, he's gonna check it out though after work, how much could a fuel pump go for.?
Stock is about $100 - $150 new... or go w/ an aftermarket Walbro 190lph (255lph is nice for the 280zxt) for $100 on ebay.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 PM

i stand corrected, the tech i work with pulled it off and said that its the fuel dampener that has gone bad, it starts at the fuel pump, a hose goes from the pump to the fuel dampener and thats where it doesnt work, it spues fuel from the blader on the bottom of it, telling me that the diaphram has exploded....does anyone know where i can get one tonight???? i need it fast, i gotta go to work, or im fired....bad day...
Old 11-28-2005, 04:40 PM

i know there are some at motorsport.com, but i need it sooner than 2-3 days...
Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Unless your local parts store has one in stock, there's practically no way to get one today after 5pm...

I would bum a ride off someone so you don't get the shaft at work.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Bypass it. Just get a peice of tubing and connect the two hoses together and bypass the dampner unitl you get a chance to get one. I have a tough time finding an air filter in stock for my Z so I'd assume the dampner is going to be a little harder to find. Alls it does is restrict fuel flow to keep the pressure and flow constant. Don't leave it that way unless you upgrade the pump but as a temporary fix that should do ya.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Don't leave it that way unless you upgrade the pump
Not to get off topic, but are you saying it should be removed if the pump IS upgraded?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Not saying it SHOULD.

But if the pump is upgraded and can substantially outflow the stock piece then the lines themselves will act as the dampner. If we're just talking about an aftermarket pump that basically flows the same then I wouldn't recommend it. The dampner works on the same principle as the dropping resistor (only mechanically). The dropping resistor receives 12V from the EFI relay. But it only transfers a portion of that voltage to the injectors. Probably like 6 volts or something. That way if voltage spikes or drops (as long as its not less 6V) then the voltage to the injectors stays constant.

The dampner works the same way but with fuel pressure instead of Voltage. It regulate flow and pressure to less than the maximum output of the pump. So if the the pressure drops or raises the dampner smoothes this out. The dampner however slowly adjusts to a higer or lower flow rate. It simply prevents sudden spikes in fuel flow or pressure. If your pump is flowing enough fuel then the dampner is not needed cause the lines themselves keep the flow in check (but not necessarily pressure). If you've got a pump capable of flowing 1000HP worth of fuel then you're not going to need a dampner.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:04 AM

hey guys, thanks for the help, but you'll never guess where if found the part, i called up autozone first, and asked for a fuel pressure dampener, they said no, but i got the urge to go over there with the part anyways, just in case it was called a different name, so i went to the counter and asked for a fuel pressure regulator, they found one and brought it to me, looked just the same, except for the fuel plugins, there was an in and out, but they were shaped differently, im thinking just an aftermarket one, that isnt exact, but i pluged in that thing, and i drove home from work, a happy man....and also, now my car starts up with no problem, doesnt chug when i start it up now, and also it has tons more get up and go, didnt know my car was that fast in first and second, and third of all, im not using my turbo the whole time im on the freeway, now when i accelerate, its still not going into positive booste....thank god....so relieved, but autozone?? who would have known....
Old 11-29-2005, 01:07 PM

Two different item's....
Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Carl's Z
Two different item's....
your right....but you gotta admit, very similar, one controls fuel pressure...one controls fuel pressure spikes, evening it out....im just glad its over with
Old 11-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Not saying it SHOULD.

But if the pump is upgraded and can substantially outflow the stock piece then the lines themselves will act as the dampner. If we're just talking about an aftermarket pump that basically flows the same then I wouldn't recommend it. The dampner works on the same principle as the dropping resistor (only mechanically). The dropping resistor receives 12V from the EFI relay. But it only transfers a portion of that voltage to the injectors. Probably like 6 volts or something. That way if voltage spikes or drops (as long as its not less 6V) then the voltage to the injectors stays constant.

The dampner works the same way but with fuel pressure instead of Voltage. It regulate flow and pressure to less than the maximum output of the pump. So if the the pressure drops or raises the dampner smoothes this out. The dampner however slowly adjusts to a higer or lower flow rate. It simply prevents sudden spikes in fuel flow or pressure. If your pump is flowing enough fuel then the dampner is not needed cause the lines themselves keep the flow in check (but not necessarily pressure). If you've got a pump capable of flowing 1000HP worth of fuel then you're not going to need a dampner.
damn J....how do you know soooo much?? a lot of reading or a lot of experience? or both?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:50 AM

Both. I'm a book worm who likes to get my hands dirty
But don't expect me to pick up Daniel Steel or anything. I stick to technical crap. And even then it's got to interest me.

In the infinte quest for all the knowledge in the universe I've condemned myself a fool.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 11-30-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:21 PM

question about bypassing the fuel pressure damper, if i bypass it, will it bust my fuel pressure regulator? and if the lines act as a damper, how does it dampen if the lines are metal, or does it even the fuel out somehow? im cornfused....
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 PM

Let me put it this way: The lines act as a restriction. This is purely for example so you can get what I'm saying,but heres a hypothetical situation:

Lets say your fuel pump will flow 300LPH of fuel. OK. Now lets assume your fuel lines will only allow 150 LPH of fuel to flow through them. Now lets suppose that the fuel pump only flows 300LPH at 12V. So if for what ever reason the voltage to the pump drops to oh lets say 8V. Well we can assume that the pump will be putting out 200LPH. Now your lines are still only flowing 150LPH of fuel. So there is no pressure or flow drop despite the fact that the pump is flowing at only 2/3 capacity. Now suppose Voltage at the pump spikes to 16V. That would cause a little too much fuel to flow right? Well since your lines are only flowing 150LPH there is no rise in pressure at the other end of the line. This is what the dampner does to a point. It's main purpose is to dampen these changes in pressure and flow, not nessesarily to prevent them completely. It just slows them a bit so the ECU has time to react if there is a drop in fuel pressure. So in theory if your pump flows enough fuel then the dampner is useless Of course if you upgrade your lines to go with your upgraded pump then you're back at square one But they make performance dampners for those situations.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM

Oh and no, it wont bust your fuel pressure regulator. But I wouldn't make a permanent fix. I only recommend it temporarily as a quick fix.

If you've got an aeromotive pump capable of insane flow then it's something to consider
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

AWSOME, thanks a lot man, i just have room right now for more things to go wrong