280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Trying to install CD player.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:32 PM
NisTuner

Trying to install CD player.

I want to install a CD player in my Z. All I've really been trying to find is how do I get the original stereo out of there and put in my CD player. Do I have to pull a whole bunch of stuff out to get the stereo outta there, or what? This is the only thing I can't seem to figure out.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

The stereo 'console' comes out as one piece.

Remove the trim panels under the dash to access the upper screws (2 per side) and remove the small trim plates at the bottom of the stereo console to remove the lower screws (2 per side).

Now the whole stereo console will slide forward far enough for you to disconnect the radio wiring harness that uses two plastic molex connectors (depending on which stereo option you have), a power connector and the antenna connector.

Now you can remove the entire stereo console to remove the old components and install the new components. You'll have to splice in the new wires into the old harness or you can scavange the molex connectors from the old radio and make a nice clean 'quick' disconnect.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:25 PM
NisTuner

the molex connectors were on the GLL? I believe I have a GLL. I have the digital dash, leather interior, automatic climate control, etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:34 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

They're on all of them. The only difference is the configuration of the wires from year to year and trim level to trim level.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:02 PM

And for installing your new CD player you can pick up an adapter plate from MSA so you can fit a din sized headunit. I don't know how much they go for but they got em. Otherwise you'll have to find some way to rig it up. If you're handy with a grinder you can make your own panel too.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:34 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

My last radio faceplate was done with a nice piece of flat black plastic and a dremel tool.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
NisTuner

My god I can't make heads or tails of this wiring. I need to get a guide I guess. I've been trying to pull the panels off to get to the back speakers, they're on there very tight and I don't want to break the covers. As for the wiring, I've got all different kinds of connectors everywhere, and I have no idea which even run to the speakers. Does anyone have any good wiring diagrams? It's going to be about a week until I can get my guide anyway.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Doesn't post much...

You are way better off running all new wire than trying to use the original wiring. For one, the original speaker wiring uses common grounds and the wire itself was not really made to handle the wattage put out by modern head units. It's a little more work, but it will pay off. As for the mounting plate, I made mine from aluminum... it was pretty easy.

Rod.

Last edited by RodMoyes; 10-19-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Ummm... Aluminum... Ummm... Goooood...
Old 09-22-2005, 06:19 PM
NisTuner

Do all models of the 280zx use common ground wiring? I know on the 300zx the GLL had an amp, and didn't use common ground wiring which made hooking up an aftermarket cd player much easier.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Doesn't post much...

As far as I know, all of the 280Zx's used a common ground set up. Now, the later model 300ZX's and Maxima's that had the factory installed "BOSE" system... Those were a MFPITA to change the system on. You had no choice but to re-wire them because the Bose set up had inline amps for each speaker. Most stereo shops won't even touch one.

Rod.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:40 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
Do all models of the 280zx use common ground wiring? I know on the 300zx the GLL had an amp, and didn't use common ground wiring which made hooking up an aftermarket cd player much easier.
Duowing, I have all the 280zx wiring schematics on my home computer. I will post the dash wiring for ya tonight when I get home.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:03 AM

I got a radio adapter made of shiny wood. a lil wood in a Z don't look to bad
Old 09-23-2005, 11:35 AM
NisTuner

That'd be very helpful. Thanks in Advance Nismo. I'm gonna see if autozone has the Haynes guide in, I need to pick one up regardless. Right now I at least want to get my cd player hooked up so I can get some music, even if it's not the best sounding. Then eventually rewire the speakers. How hard is that to run new line to say the back speakers? Do you have to lift up the carpet and run the wire under there?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 PM

Door step triming. lift up screw's, lay down wiring, put screws back in. Boom invisable
Old 09-23-2005, 01:10 PM
NisTuner

Nice, I didn't think it was that simple. I thought that the wires were almost run through a cavern sort of thing.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:20 PM

Do you think if I went to a electronics store like Best Buy that they can replace my stereo? I have 83 280 Turbo and the one I have now works but the HUD doesnt display anything. I wanna change it but am wondering if they can do it or if I would have to do it myself. What do you guys think?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:34 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by NismoZigma
Do you think if I went to a electronics store like Best Buy that they can replace my stereo? I have 83 280 Turbo and the one I have now works but the HUD doesnt display anything. I wanna change it but am wondering if they can do it or if I would have to do it myself. What do you guys think?
Can you use a screwdriver & ratchet? If so, I believe you can do it!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:42 PM
NisTuner

Yea, NismoPick is right, you'd be much better off to do it yourself. I wouldn't trust Best Buy for one, they couldn't give me the right parts to mount a CD Player into my 300ZX when it was running. Plus I would rather do the wiring myself so I know what I did, rather than having a bunch of Best Buy goofs screwing around in my Z. Maybe my van or something, but my Z is different.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Doesn't post much...

Best Buy wouldn't do the install anyway... neither will Good Guys or Circuit City. Z car's have been effectively black-balled as far as stereo installation goes from all of the major national chains. You're way better off doing it yourself anyways. I agree about knowing what you did rather than guessing what some 7 dollar an hour hack managed to splice together in a hurry just to get your car the hell out of there.

Rod.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
some 7 dollar an hour hack managed to splice together in a hurry just to get your car the hell out of there.
Take that stupid "pro-installers" !
Old 09-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by NismoZigma
I actually work at Best Buy, in the computer department. There shouldn't be a reason as to why you couldn't get Best Buy to install an aftermarket stereo. I actually had my deck installed at Best Buy (although it is a 240Z), and my friend with a 280ZX 2+2 GL also had an aftermarket stereo installed by Best Buy. If someone at Best Buy says they can't install a stereo, that's because they don't want to take the time to custom fit it, or they don't have the experience. At my store, we used to have someone named Jorge who had a long list of awards for car installation. There really wasn't a car he couldn't fit a deck into, and he'd do it right every time. You just have to find an installer who has other experience than just what Best Buy has taught them.

Be careful even when you go to a reputable car installation place such as Audio Express, they did an install on my friend's BMW, and taped off a few wires that weren't being used. These were just dangling down from the rear speaker area, and looked like total crap.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the input. I wanna get a stereo this weekend for the car. I guess now im probaly gonna install it myself unless the best buy guys will do it. Someone was supposed to put the wiring schematics on tonight so if they are available than ill definatly do it myself.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Take that stupid "pro-installers" !
Once upon a time, I was a pro-installer. Let me just say that just because somebody gets paid to do something... it doesn't necassarily make them "Professional". You will find the good and the bad. Some of those chain store locations have some really good guys working there. Most do not. You will also find the occasional store that's willing to do the work where others have refused. I have seen way more hack jobs than I have seen good quality work. Take the time and do it yourself. It's not that hard, and you'll be happy you did it.

Rod.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:59 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

It would be better for you in the long run. Then you know, and you will have experience. Stereos to me are a piece of cake. Just need a test light, and schematics, and you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Trying to install CD player.