280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Trying to install CD player.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Once upon a time, I was a pro-installer. Let me just say that just because somebody gets paid to do something... it doesn't necassarily make them "Professional". You will find the good and the bad. Some of those chain store locations have some really good guys working there. Most do not. You will also find the occasional store that's willing to do the work where others have refused. I have seen way more hack jobs than I have seen good quality work. Take the time and do it yourself. It's not that hard, and you'll be happy you did it.

Rod.

I agree Rod. Even though I let the guys at Best Buy install it, I've pulled it out numerous time to redo wiring and speakers and such. It's always best to do it yourself, that way you know what happens.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Just remember to disconnect the batter first

Most important advice you'll need.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 PM
NisTuner

Well I've got the CD Player hooked up through the front speakers as of the moment. Since the speakers use the common ground, I decided to just wire up the front and then in the next day or so re-wire the rear speakers. Then eventually I'm gonna go ahead and buy all new speakers. The sound quality really isn't great at the moment, but it's better than the crap speakers that were in the 300zx.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:22 PM

Yeah I installed a CD player and some rear speaker in my Z a while back and it sounded pretty decent. It was a cheap setup. Anyways, when I connected the front speakers (stock) they had such poor sound that I just left them disconnected. Of course that was all before somebody ripped it off (the sound system, not the car). And to think the whole set up only cost my $60 from walmart and somebody still had the thoughtfulness to steal it. I hope he managed to sell it for some big bucks
Old 09-24-2005, 04:58 AM

NismoPick, are you gonna get around to posting the wiring schematics for the radio? Just wanted to know, thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:29 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by NismoZigma
NismoPick, are you gonna get around to posting the wiring schematics for the radio? Just wanted to know, thanks in advance.
yeah yeah yeah... I ususally don't get home till late on Fridays.
All the schematics are too big to post on the forum, so anyone that wants them: PM me your email.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:04 PM
NisTuner

Now I have a question about the Front Speakers. There are only two front speakers right? The one in the center and the one on the right side of the dash? I'm wondering why it's setup like that? Kinda odd if you ask me, but speakers were never in the doors? Ahh well, I'm thinking I might as well rewiring my stock rear speakers and using those until I can shell out some cash for some better speakers. That way at least the wiring will all be done, I can have my player mounted and in use, then just pop new speakers in. Oh how hard is it to put new front speakers in?
Old 09-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

The front speaker set up is indeed unique. Look at the shape of the dash and you pretty much see whay it is like it is. I'm thinking it's more of a design flaw than anything. I'm pretty sure speaker placement was an afterthought... one of those "Oops... where are we gonna put the speakers?" kinda things.

Rod.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
Oh how hard is it to put new front speakers in?

right one is eazy .........the left ahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahah
good luck

i would pay to see it done .....but NO shop in there right mind would try it ...
Old 09-24-2005, 05:30 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by NismoPick
All the schematics are too big to post on the forum, so anyone that wants them: PM me your email.
Send 'em to me and I'll post them on my website.

I'll PM you my email address.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by duowing
Now I have a question about the Front Speakers. There are only two front speakers right? The one in the center and the one on the right side of the dash? I'm wondering why it's setup like that? Kinda odd if you ask me, but speakers were never in the doors? Ahh well, I'm thinking I might as well rewiring my stock rear speakers and using those until I can shell out some cash for some better speakers. That way at least the wiring will all be done, I can have my player mounted and in use, then just pop new speakers in. Oh how hard is it to put new front speakers in?
The speakers were in the doors on the '79's that had no power windows. But when power windows are in the doors, the mechanism attaches right where the speakers would have gone. I'm going to try something custom to fit them in my doors, otherwise, I had them mounted in the knee panels (though the sound isn't quite as good when it's aiming at my crotch!)
Old 09-25-2005, 08:31 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
though the sound isn't quite as good when it's aiming at my crotch!
I guess it depends on the 'quality' of the music...
Old 09-25-2005, 09:27 AM
NisTuner

I don't think overall it would be that bad. Probably with all new speakers it should sound pretty good. It sounds alright with the stock speakers, but I hope to change those eventually.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:53 AM
NisTuner

Oh as for the rear speakers. The panels that are over them, do they just pop right off, because I've been trying to pry them off, but I don't want to break them if I don't have to. I'm talking about the little plastic covers over the speakers. I need to pull the covers out, so I can set up the new wiring at least for the old speakers and get my faceplate and everything set up.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:08 AM
The Good Twin

on the 2+2's... those rear seat speakers right? Those covers have metal tabs on the back. If you pry, they will break. To safely do it, ya gotta pull out the bottom of the wheel well cover & use needle nose pliers to pull those tabs off.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:17 AM
NisTuner

Ahh, Thanks for the info. That helps, as for the non 2+2's were the speakers in a different location?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

On the 2 seater, the rear speakers are right behind the seats... facing directly into the back of the seat... again, I'm thinking "Afterthought". If you are really short and keep the seats forward enough for the sound to escape the tiny space in between, I guess it's not too bad. But, If you are tall... you're not gonna hear much out of them.

Rod.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:07 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
On the 2 seater, the rear speakers are right behind the seats... facing directly into the back of the seat... again, I'm thinking "Afterthought". If you are really short and keep the seats forward enough for the sound to escape the tiny space in between, I guess it's not too bad. But, If you are tall... you're not gonna hear much out of them.

Rod.
Well that rules me out LOL! I am 6' 5". And I remember not hearing much sound out of mine. But I am still going to put new ones behind the seats. And I also want to put a couple of tweeters in the side panels. Just to be different, and see how that goes.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:58 PM

I installed the component speakers that I had in my ZX2 in my Z back when I first got it and having the tweeters mounted on the A pillars made a world of difference since the rears were always so muffled from the seat. You could actually hear more than just the bass from the sub. It was great
Old 09-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Ok guys, I removed the stereo a couple of minutes ago and it came off realtivly easy. Now for the new stereo, im prob gonna get one next week, but Im wondering about speakers. I belive that I still have the old stock speakers, and was wondering if it was better to just opt for some new ones, at least the back ones. What do you guys think? Also if its not too much trouble can you post what type of stereo you use and the speakers you have? Thanks guys, you have been extremly helpful with me thus far so keep it up!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:19 PM
NisTuner

If you've got money and it's not a big deal definitely get new ones. Plus as said before, I hope you're planning on rewiring either the front or the back speakers. As is the stock speakers are alright, but nothing very great. They at least for me sound way better than the ones used in the base Z31.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Well scavenging around, I happened to find some new speakers lying around. IM gonna check 2morrow if they fit and if they do im gonna use em. As for the radio, I still dont know which to pick.... But can you guys PLEASE post the info on your audio setup? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
NisTuner

My Setup as of the moment is pretty ghetto. I just wired up the front speakers, didn't bother with the rear ones yet as I'm lazy and need to get in the wheel well to get the covers off the rear speakers. I have the center console in there with the original radio and everything pulled out, so my CD player sits in there, I have to hold it when it slides. I did a really crappy electrical tape wiring job on it, so sometimes when it shifts the connection messes up. I'm going to fix all this, I just threw this together one night so I'd have so music the next morning when I went to work. For CD player I just picked up some JVC player, it's decent, $130 and plays mp3 CDs.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:35 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Stock stereo here, and hook my discman into the tape player, with an adapter. Right now, I am putting 2 4" Pioneer 100w a piece speakers under the factory spots in the dash. That is all right now, at the moment. Will let you know, when I get more going. But basically I am going stock stereo, with about 8 speakers, an amp, subwoofer, tweeters, and discman.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I would like a copy...I'll send you my email address

Quick Reply: Trying to install CD player.