280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

It is TURBO TIME!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Cool It is TURBO TIME!!

Well I got a phone call today from a customer of ours. This guy has a '83 T-Topped 2 seater Turbo 5-speed 280zx. I believe I told all of you about it...he said make on offer, I said $500 he said $1,000...he said he would call me back...he did today almost a month later. He said I can come get the car and $500 is cool with him and I don't have to worry about bringing money right now. He said we can work out payments and I can bring it home before hand.

Yes, I am going to have a TURBO 280ZX!!!! Most likely within a week or two tops. Can you guys say 22's, primer paint with white ground FX, neon lights, 5" tip, APC stickers......

No, I will not do all that crap...lol but man I am excited.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:57 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to Club Turbo.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
good work, dude......keep it up...........whew....iz only money..PIX.....
Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 PM

I will take my camera when I head out that way...Tampa is a bit of a drive plus I will need to be driven there so I can drive it back. He said it runs very strong and has a new/used turbo on it. When I first saw it I knew it needed a hood cause there is rust all over the front of the hood but the rest of the car from what I recall was decent. Only a drivers seat and no center console. He did say the air worked though. I remember the swastika rims were near perfect other than being a little dusty. I WANT MY TURBO!!!!! LOL!!! Oh yeah and it has that piece that goes between the taillights that says Turbo 280ZX.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 PM
The Good Twin

You'll never want to drive your n/a's anymore.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You'll never want to drive your n/a's anymore.
...and I won't want to go carbed...lol My mom is gonna be SOOOO pissed when I bring it home lol. Man, it's like I can feel the turbo right now....crap!!! I remember my GLHS and my turbo Ranger how they felt and I just know this is gonna feel good. Now I will HAVE to get the Pallnet fuel rail...a BOV...a boost controller....bigger turbo.....lot's of gas money....more rear tires.....LOL but who cares right? It's a Turbo 280ZX!!! I think I just filled the cup...
Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Ruff Ryder

better buy a book on wiring.......
Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by thxone
...and I won't want to go carbed...lol My mom is gonna be SOOOO pissed when I bring it home lol. Man, it's like I can feel the turbo right now....crap!!! I remember my GLHS and my turbo Ranger how they felt and I just know this is gonna feel good. Now I will HAVE to get the Pallnet fuel rail...a BOV...a boost controller....bigger turbo.....lot's of gas money....more rear tires.....LOL but who cares right? It's a Turbo 280ZX!!! I think I just filled the cup...
Keep any needed parts from your n/a's and sell them (the cars). Then you'll have more play money.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM

If anything will make me stay with a FI car it is a turbo FI car...and even better a Turbo 280zx....so yes, I will be trying to expand my knowledge of these cars. No doubt that within a year I will be "The Answer Guy" on Turbo 280zx's....just you wait and see
Old 04-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Like I said....if anybody needs anything...ANYTHING from my '82 auto slicky and now my FULLY functional '79 5-speed slicky just ask.....of course I have first dibs for the resto on the turbo...you understand....but I have 2 Engines now...so like I said...just make offers.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:29 PM

wow... I am putting 2500 on a N/A 280zx....nice catch...
Old 04-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Über User

i welcome no one until you have the title, however i congradulate you on the find and hope that all comes through smoothly.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:53 PM

welcome to the dark side! prepare to become a boost addict!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Big Poppa

stupid boost, always cheating to get power. pssht, whatever...... j/k cool thxone, now you got 3 cars!! your catching up on me soon. ill take the tranny, and from the 79, i want the intermitant wiper amplifier. my recent aternator thing melted that weird little box. it has to be a 79 one tho, each year is different. you can find it under the drivers side dash on the bottom of the pedal assy.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Welcome to the wonderful world of boost!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:56 PM

The aluminum doobers off the back window of either would Help, how much fer them?...:P
Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thomo
The aluminum doobers off the back window of either would Help, how much fer them?...:P
What is a "doober"?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:14 PM
NisTuner

I thoroughly enjoy boost. Cool find for $500.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Ok, just spoke with the owner of the Turbo...it is a 1982 5 speed...he has the passenger seat and most of the interior panels for it. It does have some minor common rust but nothing un-fixable. I will be heading over to Tampa on Saturday to pick up alot of parts and stuff from him and the following weekend I will be driving it home to add to my stable.

Mom was pissed, as I thought she would be, when I told her I was brining yet another 280zx home...she tried to fight me on it but in the end I won. After all, I can put her in a rest home when she gets older No, I wouldn't do that...I luv my mommy Who else would put up with all my crap?

So, in 1 1/2 weeks I will have the Turbo and will begin my addiction for boost. Undoubtedly I will have problems right off the bat with this car so TIA for the help guys.....I may in frustration not remember to thank you all for your help when things don't go right when I first mess with stuff.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Über User

you should sell one, idk, you have been tight for money and having 3 money holes.... idk keep the NA 5speed for driven and ****, and make the turbo one your build car/weekend car/race car. im actualy hunting for a new Z myself, lol, anything within 2 states and turbo, 300zx OR 280zx. doesnt matter as long as its a deal. lol. and fairly rust free. just fairly.... interior, psh dont need that, paint, pshh i do my own, running GOOD and very fixable rust is all i require.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Well Snw...how can you HAVE a turbo and NOT drive it every day? I know I will be driving mine as much as is humanly possible. I think with two 500hp turbos............................................ ............j/k

I have been looking at FMIC, universal IC piping and BOV's....and some boost controllers. Holy crap I am gonna have some fun buying myself B-day gifts and what not...June 12th for those of you who want to buy me a gift...

So what is the very first thing I should do to the new car? I have the FSM for it in PDF and the guy I am getting the car for has the FSM in paperback with the car......so what is the single most important thing to do to the car when I get it home? I know there is one thing that all you turbo owners have looked back on and said "I should have done that first"
Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 PM

So what is the very first thing I should do to the new car?
THAT'S EASY !!!

Give it to my son in Sarasota and let him bring it home to me in Georgia!!!
Nah, If i had a turbo, i would waste too much gas with too much spirited driving.

Congrats on the new toy!!! And yes, I would sell one of the cars and keep one for a daily driver or backup.... GREAT FIND !!!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Externally Wastegated

Well Snw...how can you HAVE a turbo and NOT drive it every day? I know I will be driving mine as much as is humanly possible. I think with two 500hp turbos............................................ ............j/k

I have been looking at FMIC, universal IC piping and BOV's....and some boost controllers. Holy crap I am gonna have some fun buying myself B-day gifts and what not...June 12th for those of you who want to buy me a gift...

So what is the very first thing I should do to the new car? I have the FSM for it in PDF and the guy I am getting the car for has the FSM in paperback with the car......so what is the single most important thing to do to the car when I get it home? I know there is one thing that all you turbo owners have looked back on and said "I should have done that first"
The first thing I would check is the cooling system. When I first bought my Z it nearly overheated due to the radiator having a very minor leak and being clogged with tons of junk. What should have been a 30 minute drive home, took close to 4 hours...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:38 PM
NisTuner

When I finally got my Turbo Car home I thought...Why did I just buy this.
Ahh well, it's so close now, that it'll be worth it. I've experienced a bit of what the L28ET can do, and I'm pretty impressed.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Cool Update w/Pics

Here are the pics I promised of the new 280zx Turbo I am getting.

Quick Reply: It is TURBO TIME!!