280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Warning dash light thing Qs

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Warning dash light thing Qs

I just noticed today that the check thing in the dash doesn't light up all the symbols it used to anymore, mainly when theres something wrong it doesn't glow red at all. Is there bulbs inside of the thing or is it just broken?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

It's basically a vacuum tube or a nixie tube with a bunch of different filaments that are selectively light up by the controller. IIRC the controller is mounted on the rail directly below the glove box so you'll need to pull the kick panel below the glove box or the glove box itself to get at it.

More details - do any of the filaments light up? You should be able to stimulate a fault by activating the signal to the control unit. Which ones aren't working?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Just the Warning one itself now that I went to watch it a few times, triggering different ones.

Say this. you start your Z and all of them flash through then it gives you the OK then you touch your brakes and a bulbs burned out instead of glowing red to show something is wrong, it does nothing. If you hit the button it will say the light is out, but will never glow red.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

At least yours works mostly. Since I have had my slicktop, I can't get my check light to work at all. lol It would be nice for it to work. It was handy, when I had my T-top running.

FricFrac....Thanks for the tip, I was wondering where I could check for it. Maybe I can figure it out, and get the check light going. Who knows.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ah well its nothing big just being a little nit picky so I can have it working right lol I wonder if I can update mine so it doesn't have the battery check thing anymore. I have like 5 different wires coming off the + side of the battery and one less would be nice lol

I wonder if I still have a spare gauge cluster left... maybe I'll swap out the light thing
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ah well its nothing big just being a little nit picky so I can have it working right lol I wonder if I can update mine so it doesn't have the battery check thing anymore. I have like 5 different wires coming off the + side of the battery and one less would be nice lol

I wonder if I still have a spare gauge cluster left... maybe I'll swap out the light thing
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Wow I think the forums puked when I hit post....
Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Just the Warning one itself now that I went to watch it a few times, triggering different ones.

Say this. you start your Z and all of them flash through then it gives you the OK then you touch your brakes and a bulbs burned out instead of glowing red to show something is wrong, it does nothing. If you hit the button it will say the light is out, but will never glow red.
So it goes through the whole check and comes up with "OK" in green when you first start it up? If you induce a fault and press the check button does the fault come up? Can you induce a fault for each one? Does each fault cause the same result?

Just trying to figure out where the problem is coming from. I was digging through the wiring harness stuff when I did my car alarm/imobilizer and to disable the headlight detector for HID's so we can probably figure out what's going on here with a few more details...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

No no no. those lights work just fine, But you know how when a fault is induced after its done its first OK check when you start your Z, the window glows red to show something is wrong to make you push the the button so it can tell you. That light on mine doesn't work anymore.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

If you cause a fault does the red light come on when you first start the vehicle rather than when you press the check button? If for instance the washer fluid is empty and you press the button does it detect that the wiper is low and flashes the wiper icon but no red light? I'm assuming you just never get the red light?

Last edited by FricFrac; 03-11-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

I used to get the red light when something was wrong. But now I don't, even if I introduce multiple faults in the system, Washer, coolant, headlights, tails lights, ect.

I just never get a red warning light anymore. I used to tho
Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
The Good Twin

Have you checked to see if the warning box control module is still plugged in? Or if it's bad?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Have you checked to see if the warning box control module is still plugged in? Or if it's bad?
Ah you're giving it all away. You must have followed the trouble shooting flow chart on page EL-98! Replace the Control Amplifier. Also has a nice little pinout of to test each display module.

Don't forget you may have a bad connection between the control amplifier and the display. There are a few plugs along the way. I'd ring it out myself...
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Just following up on your previous post. If the warnings don't work, it's probably the warning control mod.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^^^ Just following up on your previous post. If the warnings don't work, it's probably the warning control mod.
Do you think that might by why, none of my warning lights work? It would be nice to get it working. It was really handy in my other Z.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Do you think that might by why, none of my warning lights work?
I'll reiterate by stating this:

If the warnings don't work, it's probably the warning control mod.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I MEAN it flashes all the lights though when you start the car and it you push the buton it does its check and says OK. BUT if theres a fault AFTER the FIRST check when you start your Z it WILL NOT glow red to show there is a new issue BUT if you hit the button it will go though the checks and flash at you what is wrong.

Basically it wont glow to show something is wrong if something is wrong. but if you push the button it shows what is wrong.

EDIT: Wait why am I still going on with this. I got my question answered. The box is fine its giving the right power outs to the right bulbs or w/e is in that warning display and theres no bulbs to replace. So the warning display in the dash must be damaged or something.

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 03-11-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I'll reiterate by stating this:
Ok smartie... Where might this device be? It is not telling me much in the diagram. If I can find out where it is, I can take it out of my '82, or even my '81.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Under the passenger side kick panel up under the dash. If the ground for it is unhooked it stops working entirely BTW
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Under the passenger side kick panel up under the dash. If the ground for it is unhooked it stops working entirely BTW
Thanks man, so it is above the kick panel more upwards? Kind of hidden out of the way, where a lot of plugs and connectors are? Do you know how many plugs are in the box? I didn't know much about it before.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Uh the warning box is like right above where the light is in the kick panel I think it has like 3 plugs going into it? I know you can look straight at it with the glove box removed
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Ok smartie... Where might this device be? It is not telling me much in the diagram. If I can find out where it is, I can take it out of my '82, or even my '81.
Check out this link here :P
Old 03-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I MEAN it flashes all the lights though when you start the car and it you push the buton it does its check and says OK. BUT if theres a fault AFTER the FIRST check when you start your Z it WILL NOT glow red to show there is a new issue BUT if you hit the button it will go though the checks and flash at you what is wrong.

Basically it wont glow to show something is wrong if something is wrong. but if you push the button it shows what is wrong.

EDIT: Wait why am I still going on with this. I got my question answered. The box is fine its giving the right power outs to the right bulbs or w/e is in that warning display and theres no bulbs to replace. So the warning display in the dash must be damaged or something.
Lol I think there is some information overload/recycling going on here. It sounds like all the inputs to the Control Amplifier are working. The Control Amplifier is also detecting the errors and reporting them but it's possible that it's not outputing the error "RED" light. It's also possible that it's outputting the error but not getting to the light (bad connection, broken wire from the Control Unit to the display). The third option is that the element in the nixie tube itself has simply burnt out.

If you have a second control amplifier I would simply swap them and see if it works. Baring that I would first check to see if the output from the control amplifier is outputting to the signal for the "RED" on the nixie tube. If it's not the control amplifier needs to be replaced. Then I would pull the gauge cluster and see if the output is getting to the nixie display. If it is then you need to replace the display itself.

See - simple! ;P
Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well, I changed the unit, and the relays. And still my check light doesn't work. So it's probably in the wiring somewhere.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Found 2 things out about mine. The unit in the dash is damaged. And my washer lever sensor is now damaged.

Also, why is there level sensors in the brake reservoirs?

Quick Reply: Warning dash light thing Qs