280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

What got you started?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Doesn't post much...

What got you started?

The 10th Anniversary car I was talking about in the other thread got me to thinking about how and when I first fell in love with a Z car. I was 10 years old and my older sister came by the house in a brand new 10th Anniversary Model fresh from the Escondido Datsun dealership with the famous "DatMan" paper plates on it. It was her boyfriends new car. It was a perfect summer day. She asked if I wanted to ride with her down to La Jolla (Ritzy beach community) and of course I said yes. I was no stranger to t-tops, because that same sister had a "Smokey and the Bandit" gold on black 6.6 Trans Am (Which she traded in her limited edition '72 Mach 1 351 Ram Air in mint condition to get... damn it!), but that Z with the t-tops off was like magic. I had never before seen or been in a car so cool! I told myself that day, that when I grew up, I was going to own that car or one just like it. That was 25 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. I never gave up the dream.

So, What got you guys into the Z car for the first time?

Rod.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I was into the import scene back then. At the time, that included mostly Italian and British cars. I learned to drive a stick on a 1972 Jaguar E Type V12 convertible and the Z looked the most like the Jag and was in my price range.

That's all there is too it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

I was about 12 or 13 and was on the platform waiting for the local rapid transit train( BART ) I heard then what sounded like the most awsome exhuast tone ever and later learned it was the sound of a straight six that did it for me. Then the car came into viewand was a bright orange 240 with a super loud exhuast. I just watched him as he drove like an idiot around th parking lot and then left. But that stuck with me forever. I was after that dream Z until I found my ZX for a pennies on the dollar and settled for that with the intention of getting the 240 later. That was 4 or 5 years ago now and I plan on having one from every generation.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:08 PM

Grandma.

She loved the Z car so much that when she retired (in 82)she went out and bought herself a brand spanking new 83 ZX 2+2. The curious part about this is that she quit driving years before she bought the Z. She was scared to death of driving. No tragic accident or anything. Just one day she couldn't get herself to drive anymore because she was too scared too. She had no problem with anybody else driving her around, she just couldn't do it herself. But that didn't stop her from having that Z. She had my grandpa drive it home and he put in the garage. There it would sit. The only miles ever put on that car were when my brother and me would go down to visit them (Chula Vista) and then my grandpa would take the car out and take us for a cruise. They kept that thing in the garage with a cover on it until a few years ago when they handed the keys and the title over to my mom because she didn't have a car and couldn't afford one. I'd always loved that car and when my mom got a hold of it I did everything in my power to get it. No dice. So I went out and got my own, an 81 2seater. And so the 83 now sits under a cover at my brothers house in Perris (CA) with nobody to drive her because my mom finally got a new car and wont let anyone touch the keys. She says it's too nostalgic to risk anything happening to it. I still ask her for it on a weekly basis

So that's where I got my affinity from. Grandma.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:30 PM

It was about a year ago i came home from school, an my neighbor had jus got this car for free. A busted a** car i mean the thing had rust evey were no, bumbers, busted headlamp buckets he turned it on for me and it was the loudest thing i ever heard. I asked him wat it was it looked like a porche he said it was a 280ZX. The next day i couldnt get the car out of my mind when, i got home from school the next day from school he said i could have the car for 60 bucks

Its been love from the on
Old 10-17-2005, 09:35 PM

Rod, your story reminds me of the "Paper Boy" Z commercial. Remember?? "Someday......"! LOL

Anyway, I was actually looking into buying a VW Bug to restore when I ran into my Z in the Auto Trader. Went and bought it (for a premium price ), and just fell in love with the whole thing from that point. I can still remember seeing them on "The Price Is Right", as they used to be prizes, usually as a "his and hers" matching set. Thought they were cool then...
Old 10-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Ruff Ryder

my uncle had an old fairlady z he bought in highschool and he drove it until he found his mgb then he parked it in a shed, then i asked about it, now 10 years later, im a few months away from my licence and the rest is history.....(that car runs like a dream, bit weird driving on the other side though, makes it easier to parrelel park though!)
Old 10-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I have always just kept track of cars.. I know the specs on most everycar out there.. I just like cars in general.. I have a thing for underdog cars though.. The only cars I like are 280ZX, 944, VW corrado, and Audi A4.. I was looking through an autotrader with 1800.00 in my pocket looking for one of those cars and only those.. sure enough there was a 280ZX non turbo for 1500.00.. Saw it looked forsome corrado's nothing in my range and after negotiation only 900.00 Well thats my story.. Making something outta the under dog, this cars has almost no after market support and I like that..
Old 10-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Externally Wastegated

I just moved here from Okinawa and was looking for a cheap turbo car since Silvias and Skylines were like a dime a dozen (3K would get you a very nicely modded ride) and I loved turbos. I spent about 3 months looking through Autotrader and stuff, but nothing really caught my interest. The 240sx was my original choice since it was the same thing as Silvia, or so I thought until I popped the hood and noticed the turbo wasn't there... I was disappointed to say the least, but kept looking for other alternatives. The 87-91 Supras I looked at were neglected and the Starions weren't plentiful enough in the junkyards that replacement parts were going to be a pain to find.

I was about to give up and buy a cheap Civic to turbocharge when I saw an ad that had a 280zxt for sale in Fallbrook. I remembered seeing a few 240Z's back on the island running with the GT-R's and occassionally beating them. I didn't like the way they looked (my friends and I thought they looked a bit like a roach), but I loved the exhaust note. I figured what the heck, may as well take a look. After the first test drive and the car being 99% rust free, I couldn't walk away from it. Got the Z with a brand new paint job, and the owner even tossed in an HKS catback exhaust, a couple boxes worth of spare parts and a brand new FSM. It took me a while to warm up to the Z's looks, but now I just love it.

Last edited by lifegrddude; 10-17-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:05 PM

I fell in love with my Z at the age of 10, when my dad came and picked me up in it. I was spending the weekend at my mom's apartment, and my dad came to pick me up, and he drove up in this beautiful red sleek car. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I knew it was sexy and fast. I soon learned that it was a Datsun, and I helped my dad work on it here and there. As I became older and started to work on earning my license, my step mother at the time had been dropping hints that my father was going to give me the Z as my first car, but I was unsure if this was to be the case. I didn't think anything of it, until I actually got my license, and my father told me that the car was mine. After a brake booster and a new battery, the car was driveable, and I was the hottest **** that went to my high school. Everyone loved the car, and everyone was scared of it. I'd have people brag that their car was faster than mine, and I would always call them out on a race, because I really didn't care if I lost, but no one ever had the ***** to actually race me. The Z went down when I discovered my head was cracked and I spun a rod bearing, but I have another block and a new head on the way, so the Z should be up and running again sometime soon hopefully!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:14 PM
NisTuner

One day, I eventually started getting into cars. I was looking for a car, and I was coming off the whole Initial D craze, so I obviously wanted the AE86. Eventually after I realized it wasn't as amazing as everyone made it out to be, I started looking into other cars. My friend suggested a 300ZX. I got used to the look after a while and did research on it, and began to fall in love with the Z. For a while it was either a Z or a Supra mkIII for me. I eventually found an old 300ZX that I obtained for free. It was too bad, the car was rusty, and I only managed to drive it 29 miles, before the engine essentially killed itself. I loved it when I got to drive it. I spent time looking for a 300ZX, until one day by my work I saw a black gold 280ZX on the road. It was one of the most beautiful cars I had ever seen. From that point on I started learning about the pre-300zx's. I loved the fact that they had an inline 6, and the way they looked. Eventually I became obsessed with the 280ZX, and decided that was the car I wanted. I got really lucky when I found out that there was a guy selling a near mint condition 2+2. Sure it was auto, but in Ohio, in that condition was rare. I'm glad I bought the Z. Everyone loves it, and in my opinion it's the best purchase I've ever made. I have come into the Z family with a rough start, but I love the Z's and never plan to change that, only build upon it.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Z Extreme Guy

my turn.

my uncal steve bought a z brand new i think it was a 76 dark brown.i wasnt sure at first if i liked it. dont get me wrong it looked cool but his last car he took me for a ride in was a gto. well on after noon in the same summer (1976) he asked me if i wanted to goto santa cruz on the board walk i said yes. this is the drive that sold me. he was driving so fast, i was so into the ride,when we goto to the high way that went throught the red wood forest.i was 5 years old dont remeber the #of the hightway but i rember the road going up and down side to side and over and over and then i got car sike and lost it all on the side of the car as he was haling *** he finaly pulled over and i got out green to the gils man it was the first time that happend to me and the last. this was the day i fell in love with the z car. he also made me wash the car at the first gas station we got to.

when i bought the first z i got he asked me why a z? i remined him of the day i upchuked on his and we shared a laugh.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Hwy. 17, through the Santa Cruz mountains coming from San Jose. Nice drive when its not riddled with super dense fog
Old 10-18-2005, 04:38 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, mine will be a long story. It goes way back when I was a kid. I don't really remember riding in one till later on in life. I know one of my relatives owned a 240z I think. It is kind of cloudy on that one. Anyway, when I was a kid, of course I was into Hot-wheels and Matchbox, also legos, erector sets etc... I always like to play with cars, and crash them up, and such. I am pretty sure I owned some toy Z cars. I know for sure my cousins had some, before they got destroyed. I also for a short time, had a remote one button controlled 280z that was red and black. I though it was pretty cool. But I didn't have it very long. And it was forgotten. Anyway I will get back onto the topic. My first experience with a Z, was back in '94 I think. I was working at a day labor place, and it was slow that day. A fellow worker there offered me a ride in his '73 240z. And I said right on cool! It was red with I believe the black 240z stripe on the sides. So he takes off down the road toward his house, and I swear we were doing 75-80 before you can blink an eye. And I was thrust back into the seat! We were friggin' haulin, and then he pulled into the driveway, and we were shooting the crap. And he told me he was running 6 carburetors on the engine. And I said 6 carbs, that is crazy, but I believed it because one, it was verry quick. And two, I was gullable back then. And didn't know much about cars.

Now one thing I will never forget, was back in '95. I went to a used carlot in Apache Jct. And lo and behold there was a orange '77 280z 5-speed. And it caught my eye, and I asked if I could take a look at it. And they let me start, and rev it. Oh man what a rush, it had black interior. It looked like the inside of a old Ferrari to me. (like the '60's ones, that the Z got an idea from) Anyway, then I asked him. "how much do you want for it, and what all does it need?" He said "$500, and it basically needs a front-end alignment" And then I said, man I wish I had the money, I would take it out of here right now! Of course at that time, I had a suspended license. All in all it didn't take long for that Z to dissapear. I would always go by and stare at it for a bit, whenver I got the chance, and then one day it was gone. And I moved on, until another time.

I have a friend of mine, I have known since high school, that had 3 Z cars. '76 brown one, '78 cobalt blue, and a '81 280zx. He offered the '76 for $200, it didn't run, but was nice and straight, and needed restoration. And I tried to come up with the money, But I was too lazy back then, and didn't want to work. And unfortunately I never got to see his '78, he just told me about it. And he eventually gave up on all his Z's. What a shame, he is just not mechanically inclined. And he took the cars to the wrong shops. And they screwed them up worse. And he was also tired of cops harrassing him, every time he turned around. I did get to ride in his 280zx, and I loved it when I could. Right then and there I really started having the Z fever. Here and there I still try to convince him to get another Z. But he always says, he don't want another project right now. And if he gets another one, he wants a 2 + 2.

Now we get to where I got my first Z. It was in '00 May timeframe. My current girlfriend broke up with me, after going out a month. And I was devastated, and mad, also depressed. I had a friend of mine, that was there, when I was talking to her on the phone. And he saw how the look on my face, which spoke a 1000 words. And he knew it wasn't good news. There was also some words exchanged. But I will leave it at that, back on the topic at hand. He popped up and said. "Let's go find you a Z" And I said: "tonight this late? where?" He said the car lots. And I was like "they are closed though" He said it was the best time because no salesman will bother you. And I thought it would be trespassing, but he assured me, that we would'nt be doing anything wrong. So I agreed, and we went down Main street, and scoped out the car lots. We must have went to a dozen or more that night. We came across one, that I caught with my eye. And I told him to stop, so I could check it out. It was a beautiful 280zx, don't quite remember the year. But it was a dark purple with black interior. I thought man, I think I found my next car. So I went up to it, and I peered into the window, and I said I don't want it. And he was like "why what do you mean?" I said "it is an automatic, and I want a stick." He said I was too picky, but I didn't want a automatic sports car. So we continued on, and we got to a small joe car lot out on Country Club. (roughly close to 20 miles from where I lived at the time.) And lo and behold, I spotted a maroonish one towards the back and against a brick wall. It also had a crack on the windshield, dented passenger side fender, and the front bumper pushed in. I crossed my fingers, and peered into the window, and said" this is it!" He asked why? I said it has a 5-speed, I want it! So we went to see what time the place opened the next day. And it was like between 8 & 9am. I believe it was 2am in the morning, when I found the Z. Anyway we went back home, and got up the next morning, and went back to the car lot. And I popped the question ""And how much do you want for it?" I was gullable, and they could see the look in my eyes. That yeah we got a sure sucker here! They told me that they did'nt really have a price on it. And told me it was a '81 280zx. But they could see I was determined to have that car. So they said $2900, and I asked if my friend could take it out, and see how he ran. So they agreed, and my friend took him around the block, and told me, it was a great car mechanically. So I said, "Okay what kind of deal can we make?" At the time, I was driving a '86 Nissan 4 x 4 pickup. It was nice, but a little small for my frame. They offered for me to trade my truck as a"$700", and I hesitated a little, but was getting hooked on getting that Z no matter what. But in their mind they were probably thinking. "Oh no we are going to lose him!" So I thought about it for a minute, and then they said, if I would make the deal and go and get the title for my truck. They would let me take the Z home, and pick up the title to the truck. They had me there, hook line and sinker, all my judgment went out the window! So I got into it, and jumped on the freeway, and was impressed by the power this little car had. I instanly fell in love, and loved every minute of it.! Okay guys in a nutshell I ended up trading in the truck and getting raped on the price. But I was not thinking clearly, and also my parents were not happy with me. And I had quite a few problems with my Z shortly after I got it. But it didn't matter how much headache, and grief that car caused me. I still loved the Z, no matter what. And from then on, I have always thought the Z to be pretty much the best car I have owned, and one of the best in the world. God I love my Z's! And then I ended picking up another one 2 years ago. Which is currently now, the '82 I am restoring. Man I can't wait to drive my own Z again!

Sorry for the long#ss post. I could've kept going, but then I realized, that I can't sit here and tell my life story. It would be much easier, and take less time, if I talked to someone, on the phone or whatever. But this should pretty much sum up why I am a Z owner for life.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Bleach is my Hero

/\ I figured J's would be that long, not Wildman's
Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 AM

I was out with some freinds in a junk yard lookin for a ignition swtich. I desided to look around passed it the first time. but when I walked back. Boom there she was sitting in weed's taller then her. I knew I had to have the Z. I asked how much he wanted for it. $375, I went to do small job's and what not to raise it. but due to a huge buget change. I could not let my dad handle the bill's by him self, so my Z money was gone. One night I got a call from my grand ma, she heard what i did, and said she would send me the money for the car. Month later that Z was in my drive way.

Last edited by FubarI33t; 08-10-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
/\ I figured J's would be that long, not Wildman's
haha I was thinking the same thing!

Let's see.....

about three-four years ago, I saw the infamous Daruis240Z video, and I was hooked I wanted an old school Z.

I let marketing get the best of me, and I ended up buying a brand new 350Z about a year and a half ago. Sold that poop stain in January, and I paid cash for my 79 280ZX. Not much to it, but I'm happy with what I've got. with the addition of my S13, the ZX has become a Weekend Warrior...
Old 10-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Doesn't post much...

This is shapeing up to be a thread more than worthy of a "Sticky"... It might even be interesting to read about how the guys from the other sections of the forum got into their Z cars as well (Except for the Z33 guy's... most of them just bought one 'cuz it was cheaper than a monthly perscription of ******... LOL J/K ).

Rod.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
...most of them just bought one 'cuz it was cheaper than a monthly perscription of ******... LOL J/K ).
LMFAO!!!!

Classic!!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Z Extreme Guy

now thats funny
Old 10-18-2005, 12:57 PM

My Z is my first car, I couldn't really see any other options. When I was looking for a car it had to be the following: RWD, Turbocharged, a Nissan and preferably from the 80's. Plus I found it for $500! I plan on having Z's for the rest of my life. When I get back from trade school many years in the future I plan to get a 240Z and drop an RB in it but thats just a dream.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 PM

Soon after high school, I happened to see a Z32 300ZX near where I worked. I never really cared about cars much until that point, but that car was so beautiful, and unlike anything else on the road, that I credit it with having gotten me into cars. My first car was an S12 200SX, and I had gotten this book of Nissan Sports Cars, which had it in there. While looking through the book, that's when I discovered the early Z's and fell for those. I ended up going with the 280ZX since it had the basic look of the S30's, but with some modern conveniences.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
The Evil Twin

Ok, looking for my first car at age 15. I had $300. Being the practical kid I was, I wanted something economic and reliable. My dad suggested an early 80's Honda civic. (what else are you going to buy for $300)
As we struggled to find a decent project for a mere $300 or less, which at the time was only a 10-12 year old car, my dad found a "Datsun" 310GX. I was like, what's that? Its not a Honda! well, we went and saw it and I liked the hatchback look better. It was red and had a sunroof so we got it.

I did a little research into what these Datsun things were. Found out they were made by Nissan or somthing like that. Saw some 280Z pics also... wow, never in my life will I be able to get one of those.

A year later I sold the 310 for an Isuzu truck because I wanted a truck. Well, a year later I didn't want that truck and I wanted something with passenger room but still a sporty 2-door. I'm not sure why all of a sudden I wanted a sports car but I did. I was never into cars at all up to this point. Well, the Z came to mind and I had heard there was a 4-passenger model.

Sold the truck and found a silver 1982 280ZX 2+2. My test drive in it was my first drive in a Z. I bought it in Dec 1996. Immediatly I was addicted; like obessive compulsive. I gathered every Z image available on the 'internet' (oh ya, back then that was pretty new too) I started up a website of my own, something with not many people were doing back then. I did this mainly because the Z info was so scattered I wanted to put it all together into one spot. At the time Zcar.com was basically the only forum website for Z's.

That first 280ZX I still have it to this day. I've had a few other Z's and Datsun trucks come and go but always hung onto that ZX as my daily driver.

I actually got the 'Bleach' nickname before I was into Z-cars. Had it since April 1996.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:09 PM

If ya dont mind me askin how did you get that nickname?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:14 PM

isnt there a band with that name or something...

anyways...i picked mine up in high school when i was 17 and still have it...now im getting more and more into it, i love the cars, i love the history of them, and other owners are awsome too, not many near me but still...and im still looking for a 240 shell thats non rusted to put my motor in as the 280 isnt in best shape but it will do for now...

Quick Reply: What got you started?