280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

what modifications would you do if...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 PM
eff good grammar

what modifications would you do if...

your car was going to have alot of daily driving type of time done?

i've been thinking about this for some time now, having a huge gasket rot problem and its starting to **** all over the place, it was getting rather hot durring the winter and having only 88k mi on it i figured i would do a gasket set, then install me injectors and since i'll have it out replace the clutch...

but then i thought since its going to be apart what else should i do.

so far i think i might:

gasket match the ports in the head mabe make them flow a bit better
lightened fly wheel (aluminum or chromoly)
tougher clutch
replace clutch/brake lines with stainless
figure out better SAFER brake calipers

but i donno what else, mind you this'll see alot of daily driving type of use and i am probably going to get it repainted, its not going to be a whole body off type of repaint just a sand down the body to metal on the outside, re chip seal and re spray in origonal color so it wont look so funky when some one opens the hood. i may have the chip seal painted in another color though, i am thinking universal black.

of course this will be an as i go thing when i get a job but i am confident i'll have some sort of a job soon since i just shot off about 20 resumes last week and i am looking to break that number this week. i really would want to get the mechanical done before august when i get married but i know that wont happen and the other goal i want would be before the end of summer but that too is not too realistic.

what other things would you guys do if you wanted a more than stock but are still going to daily drive?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Stock as possible, but just lighten it. Like you said a lighter flywheel. Update everything as far as rusting/rotting parts. What parts that werent devoted to safety i'd replace with aluminum or lighter metal.

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 05-12-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Big Poppa

if your gonna dd it then the light flywheel will be a pain. traffic will just drive you nutz. id upgrade ignition and exhaust first. maybe a better fuel pump/higher psi. and a cone filter setup.+1 on the brakes, they can be not enough sometimes when stupid ppl pull a stunt in front of you
Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 PM
i felld offa mai trike

my brakes work really well even for having shitty Vatozone pads... If you think about it, the front pads are huge on a 280ZX compared to other cars it's size. I think a set of nice pads (like Hawk or Porterfield) would help performance moar than doing a caliper swap.

If it were me, and I were to redo my car again, I'd just slam it and leave everything else stock, put a stock radio in it, make the A/C work, etc. etc. and make it an actual DD (besides being "too low" NO SUCH THING).
Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 PM

daily driving ? i would get new brake pads and rotors . I did buy stainless steel brake lines and wow wat a differance ! im buying them for my z32 ! i did upgrade to better spark plugs and spark plug wires new CAP and rotor . buy the z31 test pipe off ebay for way way way better gas mileage let me just say the z31 test pipe made me go from getting aobut 22 mpg to way over 40 ! maybe im exzagerating but at least im serious !
Old 05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Update everything as far as rusting/rotting parts.
not much rust, a bit above the chrome strip on the wind sheild, hacked out some at the backs of the rear wheel wells and glassed them in since i dont have the space and the tools toweld in new metal.

as for rotting the only thing rotting i have found is suspension bushings and interior fabrics....oh and the gaskets but thats why i am doing a gasket set instead of a rebulid. i'm pretty certian my cylinderbores are good still, it doesent blow smoke since i fixed the PCV system

Originally Posted by SHADY280
if your gonna dd it then the light flywheel will be a pain. traffic will just drive you nutz. id upgrade ignition and exhaust first. maybe a better fuel pump/higher psi.
nah theres ways arround the traffic here so it shouldnt be too much of a bother. i'm going to have the engine apart either way though.

Originally Posted by nismo619
buy the z31 test pipe off ebay for way way way better gas mileage let me just say the z31 test pipe made me go from getting aobut 22 mpg to way over 40 ! maybe im exzagerating but at least im serious !
if your talking about taking the cat out then this cars ahead of you, it never had a cat, it had a pre muffler inplace of the california emissions model cat. of course my pre muffler has been removed and replaced with a shottily welded section of straight pipe