280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

What was the sweetest car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Doesn't post much...

What was the sweetest car...

OK, something happened today that made me want to ask this question.

What the sweetest car... who's owner gave you props on your Z?

In other words, has anyone driving a really nice car given you props on yours?

Today I pull up next to a CHERRY black Ferrari Dino (old school for all you youngsters). This is and always has been one of my dream cars. A friend of mine in grade school's father had one in his garage and we would spend hours just sitting in that thing and pretending we were Mario Andretti.

Anyway, as I'm drooooooooooling over this pristine example of Italian artwork on wheels, the guy driving it looks over (he has his targa roof removed and my t-tops were off) and say's "That's a great lookin' Z man!" All I could do was giggle and mumble some semblence of gratitude as I finished taking in the beauty of the curvaceous lines on that Dino...

Needless to say, it made my day.

So, what's your story about somebody in a cool car giving you props?

Here's as close as I'll probably get to owning that car...

Rod.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 PM
The Evil Twin

once this kid on a tricycle gave me a thumbs up...

oh wait, that was probably my daughter wanting another ice cream bar
Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Ruff Ryder

guy in a porche carrera GT gave me the thumbs up in my z32
Old 07-03-2006, 02:12 PM

About two months after I got the car a state trooper in a 5.0 said hey man thats a nice lookin Z! Of course at the time my heart was pounding cause I had just done a burnout in a parking lot down the street so of course I said thanks but with really big eyes. OOOPS!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:17 PM

I mostly just get honks from cars and thumbs up, but, once I was just randomly pumping gas into my car then some guy pulls up next to me in a model T and just starts talking to me about my Z and how he used to own one when he was a kid and sold it to buy his T, we ended up having like a 20 minute convo. about Z's and T's , pritty cool.

Another time when i first owned the Z I went to go get the car inspected, I pull into the parking lot and a kid comes runnig out of the shop and tells me he has a Z just like mine(this is when it was crap brown), and while my car was getting inspected we talked about all the things we were gonna do to our Z's.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Ive never really gotten a compliment from exotic owners or the likes but I do seem to be a celebrity with the local youth who know a thing or two about the Z's. OHHH, well there is this one time. The owner of this Z

complimented my Z and gave me the honor of having his renound Z show up to my 1st East Bay Z's meet.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
i was driving my 50AE to dana point from coronado--just out for a short testdrive--got a lot of "double takes" from guys in ferraris, mongohugetrucks, porsches--other yuppie type rides--love that AE!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 PM

my Z isnt up yet.. so i cant say i have... but hope some day soon...
Old 07-03-2006, 04:40 PM

walmart two days ago ..this old lady was standing by the door .i stoped to let people go across the cross walk ..well she looked over and says "that is a nice car" and give me a thumbs up..but dam near every time i take her out i get some one looking her over when iam coming out of a store or at a stop lite ..
old dudes always want to have a chat about there frist car being a z ..it always comes up ..
it seems people really like the look of them ...i have heard alot of storys ..
How they out ran a car and left it in the dust with there Z , that they wish they still had it ..
being so stoked that i fixed this one up ..its chill ..
i like see people all stoked out ......
The lambo dude is the dude i will never forget .......
i still want to run with him ..that would be so fun ....

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 07-03-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:01 PM
NisTuner

I had two old ladies walking around my 2+2 as I came out of the movie theatre. And they were talking about how it was a Datsun. Then they saw me and were asking if it was brand new because they thought they didn't make datsuns anymore. It was pretty neat.

Coolest look I guess was someone in one of the new corvettes just staring over at my Z as he drove by.

Last edited by duowing; 07-03-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Big Poppa

i get the people looking all the time, the best few were a porsche boxster that i gave a run for his money, then he gave me props, and a kid in town has a turbo skyline, i left behind in some corners, he then gave me props. then said after the new turbos go in would beat me! and people are always walking by my house and break there neck walking and gauking. today the back garbage man just aboot fell off the truck looking.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 PM

I get a lot of looks, and nods from mainly fixed up pre-80's cars. It seems to usually take a car enthusiast to acknowledge another's pride and joy. once, JUST ONCE I would like to receive the slightest glance from a 350 owner... It has NEVER happened, and it pisses me off everytime I pass one (or more often, they pass me).
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 PM
The Evil Twin

The kids in my neighborhood who look at my car are probably wanting to steal it but there's no room in their chop shop since my truck is still there being stripped.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Returning Bleach Groupie

Originally Posted by drlew
I get a lot of looks, and nods from mainly fixed up pre-80's cars. It seems to usually take a car enthusiast to acknowledge another's pride and joy. once, JUST ONCE I would like to receive the slightest glance from a 350 owner... It has NEVER happened, and it pisses me off everytime I pass one (or more often, they pass me).
I am with you, I will even just drive side by side of them, they dont know whats up...
Old 07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
The Evil Twin

Besides people I already know in the Z-Car Club of Washington, I've had one 350Z driver acknowledge me in my z.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:43 PM

I tell you what, if we all get a chance to hang out at one time, all of you get my vote on having cool cars because Z's rock!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Returning Bleach Groupie

I just got home from Knots and pretty much the whole way I stayed next to a 350...Nothing from him...*rolls eyes*
Old 07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I'm sorry and hate to say it. But just about every 350z, I have seen out here. Don't even give me a second glance. To me that just says there stuck-up. And don't even know who the father, and grandfather is of their car. So I gave up on even trying to get their attention. And just feel more proud of my 280zx everyday I drive him. That is good enough for me.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I'm sorry and hate to say it. But just about every 350z, I have seen out here. Don't even give me a second glance. To me that just says there stuck-up. And don't even know who the father, and grandfather is of their car. So I gave up on even trying to get their attention. And just feel more proud of my 280zx everyday I drive him. That is good enough for me.

DITTO!!!!

PS: We live in the same town, though!

Most 350 owners don't know jack about the history of the Z, other than people like Ice...

Carl

Last edited by Carl's Z; 07-04-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:24 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

That's because Ice has a 280zx, and also a friend that has a 240z. He just wanted the best of both Z worlds. And that's cool with me, I still want an S30 someday.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
That's because Ice has a 280zx, and also a friend that has a 240z. He just wanted the best of both Z worlds. And that's cool with me, I still want an S30 someday.

I thought we were talking about recognition...

Also, that was kinda the point there, buddy! No problems intended!!

Last edited by Carl's Z; 07-04-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah sorry man, I am just in a off-mood today.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:00 AM

When I put a skyline badge on my 1984 maxima turbo, everybody paid attention.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

That's freakin' funny!

I think they'll notice when I pull away from them smokin' the tires at 70mph in 4th gear...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

I just saw a 1971 GT-R on Nopi Tunervision last night! It was in the car show and caught the attention of the new host as being the most rare car at the show. It was one of 4 made in that particular configuration or something.

It had an L28 swap w/triple Weber's and a wet nitrous system.

I'll see if I deleted it from my Tivo when I get home.