280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

what a week.. please read!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Z8 driver

what a week.. please read!

Hey everyone, new to the forum... Glad to be here, looks like a great gathering.

Here's the skinny. Last Friday, I sold my 04 350Z. Not worth the car payment, so that's that. I had been hearing about a 79 280ZX at a garage down the street that was in immaculate condition, inside and out.. The car looks great! I am going to post some pics later, it's raining like crazy out here. I paid cash for the car, and the guy gave me the engine/tranny to a 1980 ZX, along with the bumpers... lights, mirrors... so forth, just parts I guess. The car the engine and tranny came out of looks like trash. Anyway, Every thing works great, but there are a few little (I hope) things that I can't quite figure out.

1. In any gear, right when you hit about 4000 rpm, it feels very sluggish.. sputtering. Not sure if it would be the injectors, or perhaps something within the fuel lines. I guess I am hoping for a quick fix? He said the car hasn't been driven for a while, but that when he was driving it a year ago, he had put in new injectors. Gas goes VERY quick in the car... not sure if it is just bad gas mileage, or something wrong fuel wise. Either way, No power above four grand. In fact, no power at all.. I wasn't expecting anything great, but it's got a 0-60 in about 20-30 seconds. Not so great. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. This is strange... Head lights go on. funny clicking noise under or around the bottom of passenger seat comes on.. Brakes go on, clicky noise go off. WTF?

Thanks!

Jason
Old 02-02-2005, 07:35 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by lessthanjabo
1. In any gear, right when you hit about 4000 rpm, it feels very sluggish.. sputtering. Not sure if it would be the injectors, or perhaps something within the fuel lines. I guess I am hoping for a quick fix? He said the car hasn't been driven for a while, but that when he was driving it a year ago, he had put in new injectors. Gas goes VERY quick in the car... not sure if it is just bad gas mileage, or something wrong fuel wise. Either way, No power above four grand.
Welcome! Congrats. Too bad to hear about the 350z though.

Anyway, your power problem is probably one of two issues, spark or fuel delivery.

I would check the fuel filter, it may be partially clogged. Next, new rotor and cap for the distributor (dizzy). If it's still having trouble, new spark plugs and wires. Next, fuel pump. Then ignition coil.

After that, your options start to get a little more expensive. Now you're looking at AFM and ECU as possible candidates.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:47 AM

Check what lWW said, then do a tuneup (cap, rotor and plugs. Also wires to be safe). If that doesn't clear it up, start pulling injector wires one at a time to see what cylinder isn't firing right. I've had that happen right at 4k RPM when an injector or two weren't doing their job. Might want to replace them all to be safe. Costly, but worth it!!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:19 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

HI Carl; That is a sweet Z you have there! Funny thing I live in Mesa, AZ too. Maybe sometime after I fix my '82 up. We could meet? It would be a while I have some debts to pay off. But I am trying to pay them off as quick as possible
Old 02-15-2005, 07:01 AM

The pic doesn't show the poor shape the paint is really in. I had just waxed it there. Yeah, that would be cool, though. Do you belong to a club out here?? If no, go to www.datsunnissandrivers.com and check it out. I don't really get to meet with them much at all, but a good bunch anyways. Talk to ya later...