280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

What's goin on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:21 PM

What's goin on?

Hey guys just wanted to say hi!

Not to many people posting in the past month. As for me a spend a lot of time between z forums and supra forums

LETS HAVE A MEET IN THE BAY AREA...

Adios for now
Old 06-28-2005, 01:13 AM

i dont know whats' up with everyone i post ten times a day.. trying to get everyone off there butts and up working on there z's ...but still a lack off posting from all ...Come on guys lets do some fun stuff... Bleach where you at you got that turbo motor in yet ..i know wildman gots some **** going and S/C is going to be one bad **** .. someone send me a RB25 from japan {SEE ALSO PICS OF MY DREAM} i will rip my motor clean out and start all over

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 06-28-2005 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey man yes I do have some **** going. I am waiting for my damn dashboard so I can put my car together! The person I won it from on e-bay had somebody else do her work. And they sent me a '70's dashboard and parts! So I am betting that the guy that won the parts I have, has my dashboard and parts! WTF, a damn mess if you ask me. So hopefully soon, I will find out and get my dash so I can finish my interior! My other dizzy should be here this week, so I can get him timed properly. By any chance Red, could you see if you can get me an exhaust manifold bolt for my '82? I need the rear top corner bolt and nut. Let me know if you can locate one at the pick and pull when you go. I would appreciate it. I contacted the Z wrecking yard out here in Phoenix, and they don't have one for me. Augghh! I will try to post some more pics on my gallery and cardomain website. I took some more recent pictures with my dash seats, console shift boot and ****, and I have a ways to go yet. But I will get there, I gurantee it.!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 AM

Alright then. I had figured I would wait till I had done all I wanted to do to my Z before I post the accomplishments for all your viewing and commenting (good or bad) pleasure but I guess thats not being a total part of the family is it? So grab a drink, some popcorn and get ready to sit tight for a while cause here goes...

Power train:
I have two turbo engines and both I have decided to keep. I will be transplanting one, as it is, with 153,000 kms and running really well, in my Z holpfully sometime before this september. I have a turbo flywheel from my other engine that I will use with this transplant. I have all other turbo hookups from the turbo parts car I recently bought. That includes replacing the recirculating ball type steering box with the rack and pinion from the parts car to accomodate the turbo setup. I will also be installing a centreforce II clutch while I am at it. The second turbo engine, I will be rebuilding and modifying to my heart's content to hopefully put up some realistic but still big HP numbers. That will go in when I am satisfied that its good and ready. That'l keep me outa trouble I hope. No real plans to update the ignition, turbo, intercooler upgrade, and fuel injection etc just yet as I hope to do that with the modified engine.

Exhaust:
I will be putting in a 3" exhaust all the way back with a highflow cat and a Borla muffler with twin outs, one of which will exit the driver's side while the one will be extended to exit out the passenger side. The two tips will then show on either side of the rear end through a custom skirt giving the appearance of a dual exhaust.

Exterior:
I will be sandblasting the entire car, then prep the body. There is some usual surface rust in the rear quarters and the rockers that I will cut out and eliminate. After primering the body I will send it off for a pro paint job. The paint job I have in mind is this... black for the entire body. Then follow the lines from the head light bucket's outside lip on to the top of the front quarters and through the crease at the top of the doors and continue it till it reaches the backend of the rear quarters (not going past the crease at the top) by the tailight facia and all the way down to the rockers and custom front, side and rear skirts. That entire area on both sides of course will be the same flat Red as the BMW Z3 roadster. Its an orangy-red that just glows in the sun. I love it. I think it will suit the retro colour scheme well, The look that I am going for. Accenting the same lines as the Z's curves I will be putting on continous series of painted blocks 4-5" in length and about 2" in depth in a contasting colour to the red. These blocks will sit high along the curves and stretch from ther front of the Z right to the back end. Although somewhere high along the rear quarters I will be stenciling in the word DATSUN in between the repeated blocks. I will be replacing the N/A hood with the Turbo hood, and along the hood bulge, on both sides only, place the same style of blocks stretching from the front right to the back of the bulge. The blank space at the front of the hood bulge will say DATSUN. I will be taking a rear decklid spoiler from a 1998 and on Pontiac Grandprix and modifying it to resemble the whaletail. That will get grafted onto the tail lid as in "fused" right in and not "bolted on". Same with the skirts. The skirts will match the lines of the car and not look like a Honda lent them to me. All chrome trim will get treated to a black chrome finish.

Interior:
The interior is currently tan and brown. That's on the go. I will be custom finishing the interior surfaces in black pleather that I have already bought. That includes the door panels, the centre console and arm rest, the headliner, the rear passenger area side panels, custom rear speaker panel, amp holder and 2-10" sub boxes, rear shock towers and the trunk area. The dash and gear shift area will get finished in the same red paint as the exterior of the car. I will be installing a Momo Apache steering wheel with matching shift **** and leather shift boot. The wheel is black perforated with brushed gold centre spokes. The instrument pod will get a matching gold treatement as will the custom stereo panel I have fabricated, which will house the black JVC mp3 head unit nicely. I will be replacing the orange backlighting with blue for all instruments. The carpet will be replaced with my own custom mix of red and black carpet. The rear seats will be taken out to be replaced with custom bracketry to house twin child booster seats for my one little one and the next one to follow.

Wheels:
I have the six spoke 14" as well as the 4 spoke Turbo 15" wheels through both my Z's. However I am a fan of the old school look. I have searched and searched and finaly found what I believe will be the right wheel for the look I long for. I now have Carol Shelby 14" X 7" honey comb wheels. The wheels give the appearance of a two-piece design with hex bolts at the edge of the mesh before the polished lip. I will be blasting those clean of the numerous paint layers through the generations and then have the mesh painted the same jet black as the car, finished off with a polished lip. The look will be finished with a set of white lettered tires.

I know I have forgotten something but I guess this is enough for now.

I would hope that some of you would read this in its entireity and then pass on some comments, critical or otherwise, to assist me in finalizing my decisions.

Ali
Old 06-29-2005, 03:37 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

You are copying me on the backlighting.LOL! I am going blue and silver through and through the entire interior. Also the white gauge overlays with blue needles with silver tips. It looks sweet at night minus the dimness. But I can live with it for now. Until I figure out how to make it brighter. I changed the original clock & factory stereo display to blue. It looks sweet man, and changed the lighting on the stereo to blue, kind of a crystal blue. It is one of a kind, painted the center console royal blue with aluminum silver coin box,(soon to be replaced for a non warped one) mirror control trim, shift boot, and a touch of the 280zx Turbo emblem in place of the standard 280zx plastic console piece. Also a royal blue painted original 5-speed shif ****. A metallice blue emergency brake cover. I am doing the headliner in a gray fabric material. A royal blue dash, which I am debating on silver vents. With front part (metal part) Being Aluminum silver. Not sure quite yet, also royal blue door panels with the grayish silver carpeted pockets. And gray door handle cups. Blue carpet with grayish silver 280zx floormats from Motorsport. A blue GT grant steering wheel with a Z emblem in the middle.(siganture series) I am also going to have Autobot symbols etched into the top of my highback seats. A couple of Autobot decals on my gauges. Maybe one on my dash above the glovebox. Also a silver aluminum steering column cover. Not sure on that one quite yet either. I decided to be different, but still have stock parts on my ZX. I am not to much into aftermarket accs. I like original parts a purist you can call me if you like. Anyway go check out my cardomain website page. Look for zxfreak that is my username. After all that, my Z will be painted blue body with silver fenders and hood. Like the Japanese Diaclone Bluestreak. (that is his name). With an Autobot symbol on the hood and rear window. Anyway sorry for the long post, I am just filling my fellow Z owners in on my project.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:41 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Uhhhh.... Pics anyone?