280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Why do they do that? (TPS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Why do they do that? (TPS)

Why do they do that?

I noticed the TPS has some play in its mounting, affecting the voltage signal it is sending. Is this an issue? Anyone have a preference for the sweet spot? Maybe it doesn't matter because the senors resolution is not sharp enough... (I could be wrong about the resolution and the sensor is continuous i.e. potentiometer)

And also, why does coolant run through the top of the throttle body? What purpose?
Does the throttle body need to heat up or cool off? It is not just our Z's, I saw the same thing on a 2002 honda accord.

I need some advice...

Should I bother wrapping my exhaust in insulation? I heard its only useful for turbos.

1982 280 ZXT
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
The Good Twin

Hum... there should be no play in the TPS... are both bolts tight? Is the attached mounting bracket loose or broken?

The TPS is not a potentiometer. The non-turbo is an idle switch and full throttle switch. The turbo is just an idle switch.

Coolant runs through the throttle body on almost all cars to keep it from potentially freezing open / shut. Air rushing through a vortex (aka throttle body) cools. Just like a propane tank gets frosty on a hot summer day, your throttle body can do the same... though not likely, and many people (including yours truly) bypass the TB coolant.

Header / exhaust wrap has it's pros & cons...
pros: keeps heat out of the engine bay.
cons: increases the oxidation of the metal as it keeps in moisture.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Its the mounting brackets on the tps, they are short slots and not holes.

I was interested in insulating just the exhaust header to keep heat off the intake, speaking of heat, I would find it hard to believe that our turbos would have need for the TB heater with all the additional heat from the turbo. Or even the NA cars because of the configuration of exhaust and intake manifolds.

To heat the TB is the only reason coolant is ran from one side to the other? I really hate dealing with the coolant lines.

Thanks Nismo! I understand the science behind why the air cools, has to do with the drop in pressure and thus change in boiling/freezing point.

Last edited by Duck Ryder; 09-03-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
The Good Twin

Check out my pics on FB:

280zxt: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=e7b14be427

280zt: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fdf094967f

And all my pics on cardomain (see link in my sig).

I bypassed the coolant on my TB. I also de-webbed the intake on my 280zt project.