280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 01:27 AM

Will it fit?

I've been dying to find out if this will work or not...... will a 1st gen z dash fit into a 280zx? I really love that moulded gauge look that the 240-260-280's had. Has anyone else attempted this before, or would the wiring and gauges be a nightmare?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:19 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I don't know I thought about trying it. Because I do agree with you. I like the more sporty old look on the 70-78 z's. Do you have an old dash to try out? But I can't really tell you how and if the wiring would work or not. I am sure with some modifications, you could get it to work. But I am no expert. I would try it on a guinea pig z. One that needs a lot of work, and you don't mind experimenting on it. I think I would honestly try it on my wrecked '81, just for kicks. But first I need to find a '70-'78 dash and instruments to play with. That is all I can say. If you manage to get it to work let me know how it turns out.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:23 PM

Well, my moms cousin had a trashed '78 Z that if I can fight all the critters that now call it home I could prob get, and I've got a wrecked '83 that I will be cutting up in the future, so maybe I can try it. For the wiring I'm not sure how to pull that off; I had thought maybe you could use something like a Painless street rod kit or somethign, but since this is only the second fuel injected car I've ever owned, I'm not sure how all that works. Thanks for the reply.