280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

writing a report

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 PM

so can we get copies..cmon...now we get to grade you since we know a thing or two
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 PM
From NY to AZ

lol alright i'll post it when i'm at school tomorrow since i have it saved on the server there
Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 AM
NisTuner

Originally Posted by 007max
I highly doubt it, and it turns out i didn't really need them too much as my professor used to have a Z of her own once
Now that's cool that the professor used to have a Z. Getting yourself on her goodside. The Z brings people together. Who can't love the ladies that are so fair.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:25 AM
From NY to AZ

Igor Barash
Professor Kennedy
English 101, Section 2
30 November 2005

The History of the Z Car

As anyone who has stepped foot into an average parking lot can attest to, Japanese cars are now the top choice for many people seeking a performance car. This turn of affairs dates back to the early 1960s, when the British were producing their famous drop top compact sports coupes, and the American manufacturers were first experimenting with building purpose built sports cars such as the Corvette. Meanwhile, the Japanese were best known for their small and unexciting economy sedans and light duty pickup trucks. All that changed, however, in 1969 when Datsun introduced the revolutionary 240Z; a car that would have a huge impact on the sports car market for years to come.

By then, Datsun was not new to the sports car game. When parent company Nissan was launched in Japan in 1911, it assembled English Austin Healy sport coupes under license from the British firm. After World War II, Nissan created its own designs, building several fiberglass-bodied sports models in the late 50's. These early models were underachievers compared to the American and European sports cars of the time, but the 1600 and 2000 series sports roadsters that followed were good, solid performers that made their mark in amateur-level racing.

The main problem with the most popular sports cars of the era was a lack of reliability, comfort, and safety features. The British roadsters that were the best selling sports cars at the time were plagued with engine problems and were notorious for their poor safety records. Realizing that future buyers would demand a higher level of reliability, comfort and sophistication than most sports cars were providing, engineers at Datsun set out to develop a new car capable of filling those demands. What they came up with was a hard top coupe of generous internal dimensions to fit American drivers up to 6'5" (previous models were designed around a 5'8" driver more representative of the Asian market). It was a great success, with crisp, modern lines that did not mimic any other car.

To keep costs down and to benefit from the development and reliability of their economy sedans as many parts as possible were interchangeable with other Datsuns. The engine that the designers chose to use was a 2.4 liter inline-six based on the layout of the inline-four Datsun 510 motor. This motor, in turn, was derived from a Mercedes inline-six design first introduced in the early 60’s.

The first 240Z hit the showrooms in late 1969 as a 1970 model, and it was an immediate success. While it was priced far below the Corvette and Porsche 911, the 240Z was more on par with these more expensive sport coupes than cars in its on price segment, which it outperformed by a wide margin. There was no contest in the showrooms, as the 240Z easily outperformed all three challengers, was more comfortable, better looking and more reliable. The press immediately fell in love with the Z-Car (as it was nicknamed) giving it high praise in most of the enthusiast magazines.

Not surprisingly, the Z was embraced by several racing teams that were looking for a car to compete with the Porsches and Corvettes that were dominating the touring car circuits at the time. While it would cost the owner of a Porsche 911 over $50,000 to equip his car to race in the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) class that the Z-cars came to dominate, the same outfit for a 240Z would cost the owner just north of $10,000. As a result, the Z was a highly competitive racer, winning every title in its SCCA racing class starting in 1970 and continuing through the mid 1980’s. The SCCA was not the only circuit dominated by the economical little Datsun, which also took titles in the IMSA (International Motor Sports Association), BARC (British Automobile Racing Club) and several international GT and off road rally series as well.

The new Datsun was also befriended by the aftermarket industry, which came out with hundreds of performance and styling options for the new model. Priced just above $3,500, the 240Z model soon sold at a rate of more than 4,000 cars per month. Many people waited for their Zs for a year or more, because the factory could not keep production up to meet the demand. To meet increasingly stringent emissions requirements without sacrificing performance, in 1974 the engine was enlarged to 2.6 liters to make the 260Z. Although horsepower was up from 151 to 162, weight was also increased so there was not much change in performance. A 2+2 (4 seat) model was added to the line the same year. The 260Z was built for only one year before it was replaced by the 280Z in 1975. The 2.8 liter 280Z benefited from fuel injection improving performance enough to surpass 240Z levels.

After an eight year run of the original Z-car body style, Datsun decided to refresh the design of the classic Z-Car, and in 1979 the all new 280zx was introduced. The new 280ZX came equipped with more comfort features, such as power windows, mirrors, heated rear glass, standard power steering, and t-tops. However, due to stricter emissions laws, the output of the venerable 2.8 liter engine was actually reduced from that of the earlier models. Nevertheless, the 1979 280zx set the all time sales record for Z cars topping 86,000 units sold in that one year. Two years after the introduction of the 280zx Datsun introduced the first ever turbocharged Z-car, which had much higher performance numbers than any other car Nissan had produced to that date. The turbocharged Z kept sales of the 280zx strong throughout its run to make it the best selling of the Z car models. During the five year run of the 280zx, Datsun officially switched its name to Nissan, and the 1983 280zx was the last car to ever receive the Datsun badge.

In 1984, the 280ZX was replaced by the restyled V6 powered 300ZX. The completely redesigned car had little in common with the earlier Zs, having dropped the signature round headlights and inline-six engine configuration. However, that did not hinder sales of the new model. In fact, the 1984 model 300zx was the second best selling Z-car with over 73,000 sold. Nissan refined the car with a generous facelift in 1987 and continued production through 1989.

In 1990 an all-new 300zx with improved looks and performance was introduced. The new car had a brand new V6 engine, and the twin turbo models put out almost 300 horsepower, once again topping any other Z-car produced to date. The public loved the all new 300ZX, and in 1990, the all time sales of the Z series cars topped one million, making them the best selling sports cars of all time. However, the new car came with a price tag almost double of that of its predecessor, which proved to be too expensive for the U.S. market. As a result of record low sales in US showrooms, the 300ZX was removed from the Nissan’s US lineup in 1996, while remaining on sale elsewhere in the world through 1999. Despite its early retirement from the US market, the 300zx still outsold all other Japanese sports cars that were sold in the US during that time combined.

In 1998 Nissan did a remarkable thing. Desperately needing an exciting sports car to lure customers into showrooms and lacking the ability to bring out a better sports car than the original 240Z, they had numerous 1970-1973 240Zs completely restored and sold them through selected Nissan dealers for the handsome sum of $29,950, almost ten times of what they cost brand new!

Even now, the original 240Z and its successors maintain a good deal of popularity and aftermarket support. There are dozens of Z-car clubs across the country that meet several times a year to show off their cars to other members and the general public. There are also many companies offering everything from restoration services, to brand new aftermarket parts, to genuine racing equipment for all models of the Z-car. Incidentally, the largest annual gathering of Z-car enthusiasts occurs at an event put on by one of the leading retailers of aftermarket and restoration parts. The Z-car nationals, put on by MotorSport Auto, attract thousands of Z-car drivers to their facility in southern California. Some people drive their cars from all the way across the country just to attend this three day event – a true show of their dedication.

Today, the legendary Z-car has a worthy successor in the new 350Z, which was introduced to the public in 2003. Once again, Z-car fans could expect to wait up to six months to receive their Z-car after putting down a hefty deposit at the dealership. While the 350z comes with many modern day conveniences such as GPS navigation, a multi disk CD changer, airbags, and heated seats, just to name a few, it owes much to the enduring design of the original 240Z, a car that still continues to quicken the pulse of sports car enthusiasts more than three decades since its introduction.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:27 AM
From NY to AZ

Thats 5 & 1/2 pages double spaced... final paper for the class
Old 12-06-2005, 11:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

That is really good man, verry interesting to read. Glad you aced it, you deserved it, it is like I am reading it from a article or book. Props to you bro' .
Old 12-06-2005, 12:11 PM

yeah man thats a really cool article...the last line almost made me drop a tear
Old 12-06-2005, 02:20 PM

That was a great paper. Makes me wanna go out and drive my Z. Heritage is a grand and proud thing and the Z has got plenty of it.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Doesn't post much...

Nice work man. That was a good read.

Rod.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
NisTuner

I concur with everyone else. That was a brilliantly well written paper. No bashing on any of the Zs. All of them were treated equally and with the utmost respect I think the Z name should recieve. My hat is off to you good sir.

This is another reason why I would love to own a 240z alongside my 280ZX. To own the first and the last of the legendary inline-6 Z's with the round sccop headlights.

Last edited by duowing; 12-06-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Doesn't post much...

Yeah, you even passed up the opportunity to bag on the Z31 Or to mention that Z33 owners are 90% LAME. J/K

Rod.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:44 PM
NisTuner

Heh bagging on the Z31 for a much bigger pain in the *** engine bay to work in and a much less conveninet setup, but I still loved the Z31 and maybe one day I'll get another one.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:02 PM

good read, info I did not know. Makes me feel good to know that I saved a piece of history.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:59 PM

Technically the Z31 was the last of the Z's to come with an inline six
Old 12-06-2005, 08:57 PM
From NY to AZ

I'm glad you guys all approve
Old 12-07-2005, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Technically the Z31 was the last of the Z's to come with an inline six
Did the JDM Z31's come with I6's? (which engine series?) Otherwise, all the USDM ones (and I assumed the JDM ones too) were V6's.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 AM

Yeah, some of them came with the RB20. I know we didn't get them here, but I'm not sure if they were Japan only or not.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM
NisTuner

Well when I get another Z31 one of these days, maybe I can get ahold of one with the RB20 then. Were those quicker than than the Z31s featuring the VG30ET?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 PM

You'll have a tough time finding one here in the states though. Unless somebody did the swap or had one imported. It was called the 200ZR. I know you could get them in the UK and AU. And Japan of course. And NO, it wasn't faster than the VG30ET powered cars. Not stock anyways. The RB in that car was putting out less power than the VG was at that time. I think all the swap involves is swapping the crossmember and mounts out or the 300ZX for those in the 200ZR. And of course all the electircal and other little "making it work" things.

And hows this for some trivia: In Japan the Z31 was actually the first of the Z's to get the VG30DE. Not the Z32. Though the Z31 version put out signifigantly less power then the Z32's version.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:39 PM
NisTuner

another piece of information I did not know. Even though the Z31's VG30DE put out alot less, how was it in comparison to the VG30E? Considering the Z32 with the VG30DE weighed a good bit more, I wouldn't be surprised if the Z31 VG30DE matched up.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 PM

The Z31 DE put out about 30 less HP than the Z32's. But it wasn't very far behind the VG30ET in power production and probably weighed less too. So the few horses you lost to the turbo were made up in weight plus you didn't have any potential turbo lag issues. Too bad it was never offered in our Z31. Jspec only .
Old 12-07-2005, 04:43 PM

The Z31 DE model was known as the 300ZR Just so ya know.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 PM
NisTuner

now I wonder. If you had a 300ZR with the DE engine in it. How hard would it be to take that and swap it into a VG30DETT? You'd think since it already had the DE it would make for an easier setup, and probably the setup would have been better than trying to turn a Z32 NA into a TT.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:16 PM

It'd be a lighter car so it'd probably end up quicker.

Of course, getting ahold of a 300ZR is probably about as easy as dropping a V10 into a Civic and making it run FWD
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
NisTuner

well j if anyone could drop a V10 into a civic. It'd be you.

Quick Reply: writing a report