280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

ZX steering veering

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:09 AM

ZX steering veering

So I just found this amazing zx, the car has a blotch of white paint on one side from when the owner was painting his garage but that's about it in terms of destruction lol. I have a couple questions about it to see if what the guy was telling me was true.

First when I was driving it I found the steering wheel was quite off, the guy said he had to take it off for whatever reason, and when he put it back on, he didn't put it on the right(correct) notch so its turned to the right a couple inches, is that true? when you take the steering wheel off and put it back on you could, say... put it on upside down or rotated and it would work?

Second the steering veers to right a little bit, the guy told me it's because of a safety thing, "If you fall asleep at the wheel you veer off the road, instead of hitting traffic" is there any truth in this, did Datsun/Nissan design there cars to veer to one side?

Thanks for any help
Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Yes you can take the steering wheel off and put it back on wrong lol I've done that! The steering will still work but your blinkers might not shut off after a turn tho.

But no it should drive in a straight line so it probably needs an alignment

Both are easily fixable! I'd say get it if the car is clean other then that
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah, it sounds like an alignment, and possibly worn suspension parts. Maybe ball joints, or tie rods. Also what year is it? Is it a coupe 2 + 2? T-top, Slicktop? Also how much does the guy want for it?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:07 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by mrprofile
"If you fall asleep at the wheel you veer off the road, instead of hitting traffic"
How old is this guy?

Damn, I would have just said "And it needs an alignment"

Pfft
Old 09-25-2010, 04:29 PM
The Good Twin

lulz....

So if you're in the left lane on the freeway, you veer RIGHT into the next lane... cars are supposed to drive straight, otherwise car makers would have A LOT of law suits on their hands.

no maka da sensa!

And Judy Judy is always right: IF IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, IT ISN'T TRUE.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Yes you can take the steering wheel off and put it back on wrong lol I've done that! The steering will still work but your blinkers might not shut off after a turn tho.

But no it should drive in a straight line so it probably needs an alignment

Both are easily fixable! I'd say get it if the car is clean other then that
yea, im planning on getting it, but first im getting my mechanic to look at it just in case he finds something catastrophic, which i doubt but its worth the 100 dollars,
I found a different one, awesome color(silver top black sides) a couple weeks ago, had him look at it, he discovered it was leaking engine oil and tranny fluid, the A/C didn't work, exhaust leaked, I would have bought it but it cost like $6400 and he wasn't going any lower so i didn't buy it.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies guys, ive been intentionally vague about the car, I will give more details about it after i get it or decide not to get it because I don't know if there's anybody who lives near where I live who would be like "ohh ive been looking for a Z too, he's already looked at it and likes it, i'll check it out" lol call me, selfish for not helping others, but I've wanted a Z for awhile and have looked at a couple great ones that I just couldn't afford at the time, it was like they were mocking me lol. moral of the story im paranoid about counter offers
Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
The Good Twin

Since we have no idea where you live, I don't think that's a problem.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 PM

correct but...

correct but if i told you it was a turbo with an "upgraded" stereo system, gold paint,with T-tops, and costs 5k. even just with the 5k part alone a person could look on Ebay or craiglook(search all of craigslist) and really narrow down the search. writing this, I did discover some small logical mistakes I made but im still standing true to being paranoidlol
Old 09-26-2010, 12:11 PM

lolman i guess i get where you are coming from, but i dont think its very necesary.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

5K for a zx you must be talking about a z32TT. if you are talking about 280zx (s130) I'll sell mine to you for 4K and throw in the turbo motor sitting on the stand. When you talked to this guy did you have a 2/0 fishhook hanging out your mouth. You need to look at more cars. that kind of money you can get a nice z32 or a real nice z31.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:45 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by rogerz
5K for a zx you must be talking about a z32TT. if you are talking about 280zx (s130) I'll sell mine to you for 4K and throw in the turbo motor sitting on the stand. When you talked to this guy did you have a 2/0 fishhook hanging out your mouth. You need to look at more cars. that kind of money you can get a nice z32 or a real nice z31.
There are pristine 280zxs going for 5k. A member on the forums here bought an anniversary edition for a little over 10k, had less than like, 40k miles on it. Its to the buyers attraction I guess.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM

well, because of my paranoia, none of what I said about the car was true except for the steering problem, it doesn't cost 5k that was an example, I will tell you guys one thing though, I have done my research and have found that this car is a really good price for what it is.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
There are pristine 280zxs going for 5k. A member on the forums here bought an anniversary edition for a little over 10k, had less than like, 40k miles on it. Its to the buyers attraction I guess.
yes, but your talking about the more common two seater zx's that cost 5k, im looking for a 2+2
Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 PM
The Good Twin

well, because of my paranoia, none of what I said about the car was true except for the steering problem,
Paranoia is an understatement.....

I love discussions based on fables (aka lies... tales... made up shtuffss)....

/sarcasm.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Honesty is the best policy esp when you are asking for help. It sounds like you need to shop around a little more unless S130's are going for stupid money in KS.

If it's advertised somewhere and anyone on this forum is local to you its more than likely they already looked at the car or talked to the owner anyhow. If that's the case and it was a screaming deal they would have bought it already or posted it on the forum.

If you told us what the car is we'd tell you what it's worth in the ball park.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Honesty is the best policy esp when you are asking for help. It sounds like you need to shop around a little more unless S130's are going for stupid money in KS.

If it's advertised somewhere and anyone on this forum is local to you its more than likely they already looked at the car or talked to the owner anyhow. If that's the case and it was a screaming deal they would have bought it already or posted it on the forum.

If you told us what the car is we'd tell you what it's worth in the ball park.
seems logical, well its a 79 2+2 in near mint condition, all original, 80k miles, amazing original Blue paint, sun roof, no rust except for a small bit of pitting in an easily fixed spot, the radio works, but the tuning **** doesn't turn the dial to change station, i don't know if you have to press a button to activate the dial or what, a smooth none "thumping" automatic, very clean running engine (no oil leaks) although it did seem to idle a little low, working power windows/mirrors, oil gauge doesn't work, quarts clock works, all other gauges work, both front seat female buckles are broken (he still has them, so I might be able to fix them, although i might not trust them even if i do fix them lol), other then that the interior is perfect, no tears or anything. all for 6500
Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
The Good Twin

$6500 for a stock 280zx that still needs some work?

Sunroof = NOT original.

If you're willing to spend ~$7k on a stock 280zx, I've got a highly modified (300whp) 280zx Turbo I'll sell you for $9k.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
$6500 for a stock 280zx that still needs some work?

Sunroof = NOT original.

If you're willing to spend ~$7k on a stock 280zx, I've got a highly modified (300whp) 280zx Turbo I'll sell you for $9k.
hold on, the sunroof isn't original? what makes you think that? im not talking about the kind that rolls back, it just opens up a couple inches at the top.

This car your selling, is it a 2+2 and what kind of modifications does it have?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 PM
The Good Twin

hold on, the sunroof isn't original? what makes you think that?
The fact that no 280zx had a sunroof from the factory. That's what makes me think that. Back in the 80's people thought it was cool to chop into the roof to install a sunroof... yes... that 280zx roof has been chopped.

This car your selling, is it a 2+2 and what kind of modifications does it have?
Yes, it's a 2+2, with the back seat removed (2seater conversion). It's a modified L28ET, T3/T4 hybrid turbo, ARP head studs, MLS 2mm headgasket, HKS boost controller, Z31T ecu & maf, Z31T CLSD... bla bla bla, list goes on. I have about $17k invested into it. Click my cardomain link in my sig for more info.

Updated pics on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=e7b14be427

Last edited by NismoPick; 09-27-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 AM

My z veers off to the right as well. Its drifts fine though. lmao!!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The fact that no 280zx had a sunroof from the factory. That's what makes me think that. Back in the 80's people thought it was cool to chop into the roof to install a sunroof... yes... that 280zx roof has been chopped.

Yes, it's a 2+2, with the back seat removed (2seater conversion). It's a modified L28ET, T3/T4 hybrid turbo, ARP head studs, MLS 2mm headgasket, HKS boost controller, Z31T ecu & maf, Z31T CLSD... bla bla bla, list goes on. I have about $17k invested into it. Click my cardomain link in my sig for more info.
hmm, im not really looking for the heavy modified Z's but I will keep your's in mind if this one doesn't work out. is there any chance of the back seats being put back?
and hey one guy was telling me about semi factory sunroofs, i took that to mean, made at the dealer, anybody heard of that happening?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 AM
The Good Twin

It doesn't really matter... sunroofs are not original. If a goof in the back of some dealer chopped a hole and installed a sunroof, it wouldn't make me feel any better.

I worked for a Nissan dealer, they sent all upgrades / mods to local custom shops.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:55 PM

I'm gonna put a sunroof in mine... so...

its still cool in the 2010's! not only the 80's! TAKE IT BACK!

lolz
Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Check it out. You will love it. I do. I know it is a long address but just copy and paste.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Quick Reply: ZX steering veering