300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

changing interior color?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 08:10 PM
kermit

Lightbulb changing interior color?

Hey there, uhh. I really want to change my interior, like, change out EVERYTHING. i think... , right now its a horrible, to me at least, tan and brown scheme. What i really want is a black interior. might look good with the red paint.
so what i wanna know is. where can I get carpet and stuff?, the dash i can probably just paint and get a black dash cover thing because the original one is all sun crisped to crap, shift boot and brake boot can be bought from ztoyz, but, does anyone make new door panels.. headliner...uhh. and carpet for the rear and that little trunk type thing behind the seats? o yeah, and all the plastic trim pieces.. or can I just paint those with some paint from autozone or something? how much in the interior would I be able to just paint?
Old 04-02-2003, 07:26 AM

Re: changing interior color?

splurge and buy new carpet - black carpet ONLY came in '84 Anniversary Editions, other black interior cars had dark gray and it's hard to find in good shape.

I'd get a black dash from a junkyard - any year/type will work.

Most of the smaller panels should be easy to find in a junkyard and fairly cheap. The more expensive pieces (like the larger ones) you can paint with SEM paint made for plastic. Follow the directions on the can (using the SEM prep and such) to the letter and it will turn out nice and last. If you skip any of the instructions it will crack/flake off and look like crap in short order.

You could just paint the entire interior (except for cloth portions), SEM makes both a vinyl paint and a plastic paint (both with corresponding prep treatments). You can find it at most PPG paint stores. Hang out around the counter until you figure out which clerk seems to know what they're talking about and ask them for pointers and tips on applying it. I've yet to find any cloth paint that looks decent once it's applied and dried although Z-bum used some that turned out nicely on his seats - maybe he can shed some light on what kind it was.

You will NOT find 2-seater black door panels in any 84/5 model except for the Anniversary Edition. You will have to modify your door if you install black panels from an 86 or newer as the inner door handle is in a slightly different location (about 4-6 inches lower than in the earlier ones). This means you will need the 2 upper linkage pieces that go from the handle to the pivots to make it work nicely (the handles are the same). 2-seater and 2+2 are not interchangeable on this as 2+2's have longer doors.

Spot
Old 04-02-2003, 03:07 PM
kermit

Carpet: yeah, Im just gonna buy a new one
Dash: if I can't find one in the junkyards around here that are in good shape I'm probably gonna just get a plastic dash cover from victoria british or somethin like that

... now for the doors, would i be able to paint the whole thing? and would i have to use fabric paint or vinyl paint for them?

and AZ-ZBum, would i be able to use fabric paint on the headliner?, i want to replace the whole thing because its sagging in the front a bit and it got a little messed up from water in the back, but that can wait to be fixed.

as for the seats, they're the leather/vinyl? i think, they're not cloth and they're pretty hard and torn up so i have some seat covers but they're tan as well, should i get the z31 seat covers from ztoyz.net? the ones they have for newer 300zxs look great and that would probably be my best bet for the seats right?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:00 PM
kermit

huhh

sounds like a good summer project, I guess, Looks like im gonna check out all the local fabric shops after school tomorrow to look for headliner material.

and z32 seats... huhhhhh?, i was talkin about the new seat covers ztoyz had for old 300zx's, not the ones for the newer 300s. as much as i would like the 90-96 300zx seats in my car I'm a lazy junior in high school, plus i have no job so eh. I emailed ztoyz but they said they didn't have pictures of finished z31 seats yet so im gonna have to wait on that one,

and the whole dying thing, would i be able to do that myself? or take it to some place and have them do it?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by insomniac67j

... now for the doors, would i be able to paint the whole thing? and would i have to use fabric paint or vinyl paint for them?
Use vinyl paint on the majority of the door panels and fabric/carpet paint (like bum used on his seats) on the lower area and the center area if yours has the cloth section there. Make SURE you prep them like it says to on the can - doors get a lot of abuse (rubbing, touching, scratching, etc...) and if you don't do it right, you'll be doing it again shortly.
I took the center door panel part out of a leather interior car and used the SEM paint/prep system on it and intentionally abused the hell out of it and it held up great. This was the part above the armrest which is cloth on non-leather interiors and vinyl on leather interior cars. I actually had to scrape it with a sharp object to make the paint come off.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:58 AM
kermit

yeah, im very very lazy, that's why im waiting till the summer to do most of this, right now im just getting everything I'll need and all the information for the project.

so, i go to autozone after school, and they have no more black interior paint... i go to advance auto.. which is right across the street from autozone.. again, no paint. but they should be getting some soon so woo hoo

Originally posted by AZ-ZBum

As for dying, you can pick dye up at the supermarket. Go shopping with your mom and toss it into the basket when she's not looking. It's down the cleaning isle and next to the shoe polish and stuff.
sneak stuff into the cart?? I'd ask first... if no, then I'll sneak 'em in, but I've dyed a pair of jeans before, would it be the same? and for the door panels, are you talking about that little part right above the armrest? or the large area from the top of the small are above the armrest to the window? I'll go searching for some dye this afternoon maybe, which one should i dye and which would paint?, or, dye the whole thing?
Old 04-05-2003, 12:16 PM

interior

For all the colors u wanna get just go to www.britishvictoria.com
they have every part in every color thats your best bet or do what they said with the vinal paint and fabric paint it works wonders cheapest thing to do