300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

theft warning system

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:15 PM

theft warning system

What does the security system that comes with some models (apparently? it says something about it in my misplaced manual) leave in or out for those that don't have it.

Specifically, I have an '86 Z31 that I don't believe has a theft warning system, although it has the fuse space for it (if I add a fuse it just flashes "security" on the dash regardless of what I do).
And under the passenger seat it has a "cont-assy theft warning" box and an unknown black box, I suppse this is the control assembly for the theft warning system. Is there a way to tell if my car should have this or not, is it something that can be easily added or modified? Or can I just take the box thing out from under the passenger side without worry?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:50 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

all z31s came with a security system. if it just flashes (mine does) it means that one of the pins (the same ones thatr tell the dome light to come on), on the doors, hatch, and hood, isnt making contact, and if your dome light goes out when you shut the doors, its most likely the hood. my hood pin broke off its cheap plastic bracket. its under the hood in front of the ac compressor. i just leave it the way it is, its not worth the hassle to me. it shouldnt cause any problems if you just leave it alone.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:08 PM

hmm interesting, maybe i can fix mine then, i dont have the dome light problem (althought right now my dome light is in the garage, it would go on and off when its suppost to, i think my hood latch is okay too, but i'll check and see what i can find. thanks
probably dig out my repair manual
Old 05-10-2005, 08:16 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

its not a latch, its a pin switch just like the ones for the doors, right in front of the ac compressor.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:50 AM

oh, i think it might be broken. if its what i'm thinking of, i'll check it out later today..

edit: I think i found the AC thing, but I can't find this this pin, perhaps its missing, i found a connector that wasnt connected to something, but i dont think its related, as i connected it to a nearby fitting plug and it made my car unhappy as it would not idle steadily.

anyways if anyone could take a picture i'd appreshate it
i found my book, but its not very useful, except it has a schematic I can use

edit: nevermind I think I found it
it was hanging down away from where it should be

edit: woohoo it functions, the hood wont close the sensor but i'll figure that out later.

Last edited by linkarroway; 05-11-2005 at 12:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-28-2005, 07:18 PM

hey if the theft warning system is on the car wont start right? I hooked up my battery to my dad's 84 300ZX and I don't think I have ever jumped so high... When it made connection the lights came on and the horn honked.We unhooked the battery and pulled the fuse for the theft warning but nothing happens when u turn on the key, no lights no warnings nothing. Can someone help me figure out how to get it started? There is one cut fusible link that I'll probably fix after work tomorrow and then see what happens. Any ideas let me know

thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 10:15 PM

I found out the hard way my 85 300zx had security system. My window was down and a friend of mine thought it was funny to use my keys to lock the door from the outside. I unlocked it from the inside and opened the door, went to start it up and it wouldn't turn over. I have a bad horn so I didn't hear it, but the lights were flashing. I disconnected the battery and rehooked it up to get it started, but later experimented with it to see how to set it off.
So, basically lock your door with the key from the outside and if it gets unlocked from the inside and opened it should sound the alarm. You could test this like I said by rolling down the window before locking it to test it yourself and unlock it from the inside. To turn it off I shut the door, put in the key, relocked it and then unlocked it and it wasn't going off anymore.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:49 PM

http://www.az-zbum.com/information.factory.alarm.shtml
Old 07-30-2005, 05:04 PM

Mines bad.. I have taken all the fuses out and the car still runs.. well yesterday durring a thunderstorm it got set off... I didn't know what the heck it was.. my sis who was visiting thought it was her jeep.. and it turned out to be my car. I just think that it's funny how things react sometimes.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:20 AM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
Okay Gentlemen... I have a solution this dreaded problem you all speak of.... under your passenger seat is the alarm control unit... simply dissconnect the far left lead into the silver finished unit, this harness will dissable your alarm and free you of all your troublesl. For all of you who claim your vehicle won't start... this should fix that, unless you're like me and had a fusible link blow out, catch on fire, and melt the cover to the fusible link harness... motherf*cking bullsh*t I say... Since the "cap" is melted... I don't know what I've blown out and I appear to have a short somewhere, though the one that blew out, appears to have "stability control" written in the space on the box, this is my current problem... the alarm system, so to speak should be solved quite easly, but to dissconnect this, either remove your passenger seat, or slide it completely forward and collapse it towards the dash, this should give you ample access to the security system/harness.

JD