300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

another quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:26 PM

another quick question

hey all, just curious if anyone knows where i can find a pic of a Z31 with scissor doors? highly doubt i will want to do it to my Z31, just wanted to see what it would look like. thanks.

(anyone who posted in my thread about the wheel and tire sizes, im still waiting for the site to get back to me about the offsets that the wheel has, as soon as i know i will post it in that thread)
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM
The Good Twin

They are more commonly known as "Lambo Doors" aka "Ricer Doors" these days.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 PM

i know that, i just dont like to call them lambo door because they open exactly like lamborghini doors do. if you dont know that lambo's open STRAIGHT up where as the kits for other cars pop out and then up. as far as ricer doors, i dont find them to be rice just because every damn honda has them, lol. im just curious what a Z31 would like with them and i cant seem to find any pics.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:13 PM

call 'em vertical doors (as a general term) .. I know (?) or have seen only 2 examples on z31 .. I've seen a gull wing (musashi doors) also on a z31 .. if I can find a pic of the vertical door .. I'll post it.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:47 PM

I'd like to see a pic of that too. Im interested in vert. doors because I park in a stall thats right next to a wall and its hard to get out sometimes. But I want a kit that swings all the way foward unlike most cheap ricer kits.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:45 AM

i hope you can find a pic Z-tor. i really want to see if it looks bad like i think it does or maybe it will look decent. anyway i hope to see the pic soon. thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 08:15 AM

one example .. not the one I was looking for ..
Attached Thumbnails another quick question-redvertdoors.jpg  
Old 12-25-2006, 10:32 AM

those spinners look retarded, the doors dont look as bad as i thought they would but it does look it might be a little hard to get into the car, if you can find any other please post them. thanks Z-tor.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Yeah ... the wheels don't do it for me either ....

Only 2 companies make or claim to make vertical door application for the z31. VDI and Wing Doors (yes I did some research, as I kinda like the look) .. both are universal kits .. both claim to be bolt ons. I don't know which kit was used in the pic above. I'm still searching for the latest pic (it was a blue z31) .. but haven't been able to figure out which forum I saw it on .. LOL!

FWIW .. both kits allow the doors to open normally before swinging up. This lets you enter/exit in a low ceiling garage ...
Old 12-25-2006, 04:54 PM

yea like i said, i dont think it looks that bad myself. if you find the other pic post it asap. im kinda hoing its a front view pic or close to it so i can get a look from that angle. another thing, im not very good with body stuff and what not, im mostly into performance under the hood, so i was curious on how well you think the vertical doors would work with the shaved door handles i want to do? i was thinking about puting the magnetic type in where you have to use the magnet to get the door to open from the outside. thanks again.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:51 PM

I've combed just about all the forums .. even asking for help in finding that pic of the blue z31 w/the vertical doors. It wasn't a straight on shot . more of a 3/4 angle of the front vs the side (red) view.

Shaved doors? I think I've only seen (?) one shaved door application, and it looked pretty good (to me). I think it depends on the color of the car and the overall set up as to how shaved / vertical doors would look. Me I like subtle .. ie .. having the doors open "normally" is a must. Then kind of spring the vertical opening as a "surprise" .. if you know what I mean. You show it off, only in special instances, not all the time.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:33 AM

exactly what i was thinking. but ontop of that here in western NY, as far as i know there is noone with a Z31 that would even think about shaved door handles + vertical doors. so what you are saying about the vertical door kit for the Z31 is that the door will still open like normal but if i wanted to i could put them up right? i think thats how i read it. if thats so that would be sweet. well just let me know when you get the pic. also if you would like to see the Z i have now (not in good condition) my cardomain site is

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2292875

the 3 pics on the top of the first page is the turbo im getting around april. let me know what you think and about the other pic when you find it. thanks again.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:43 AM

Right .. from what I've been told, regarding both vertical door kits. You can open the car doors normally (outward) to a certain extent (ie not fully open as you would now) but open enough to allow entrance/exit (important to me because I garage my Z and don't have ceiling height) .. then once you get the door open fully .. it'll swing upwards.

The '87 is looking nice (it looks familiar, where have I seen it before?) ..

So the "shaved handles/vertical doors" are considered for the '87? Based upon the upgrades description plans?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 AM

thanks for looking at the current Z and the one im getting. it sounds like those doors will be just about perfect. and everything that i have in the list will be eventually done to the turbo Z. i cant really rely on the list that i have because i change things all the time. as for where you have seen the Z's the gold one (current) i dont know where you may have seen it. (ive only had it since february 2005 and as far as i know its been in western NY its whole life) and the black turbo im getting is in connecticut right now. i will hopefully have it around march or april of 2007. unless my dad get the money sooner. im paying $8500 for it but its in perfect condition with maintainence records and only 85000 miles. i cant wait to get it. but yeah i do plan on doing all the things to it and now the vertical doors are going to be in the mix. i think i will have to read into more detail on them but i will probably get them. thanks again.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 AM

i think im going to go with the wing doors mark II kit and the autoloc 50lbs. remote shaved door kit. the wing doors kit is kind of expensive but hey, in my area it will definatly be VERY UNIQUE. if you would like to see more on either one here is the 2 links for them,

the link for the autoloc shaved door handle kit

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autol...?itemid=SVPRO5

and the link for the Mark II wing doors

http://www.wingdoors.com/products.html

you have to scroll down a little to see the Mark II,

thanks again for all the help, now i have another question but i will post a new thread for that one. oh yea, Z-tor, i hope you can find the pic of the blue Z31 with the vertical doors but if you cant dont worry about it.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 AM

You'll have to post pics of your upgrades when you get 'em ..

and .. when/if I find that pics .. I'll post it up.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM

LOL .. I completely forgot about this thread ..

Well here is MY z31 with Vertical Doors .. mfg by VDI, Inc. The mod was done in late April of this year.

Some of you will like it - that's cool.
Some of you won't - that's cool too!
So What? My $ .. My Z .. My choice.

Modifying to improve performance is nice .. my Z is fast enough for me. Besides .. a highly-performance modified car .. looks like any other modified car .. when it's parked!

Now, those of you who actually modify and then drive your Z's to their performance limits (on the track) .. that's impressive!