300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Beginning Of The End

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Unhappy Beginning Of The End

I just returned with my Z and its driving worse than ever. I was told it had a slight rod knock, which wasnt apparent when I had it towed over there. On the 5 minute drive home it smoked like never before and smelt like burnt tranny fluid. The mechanic said "new engine". Thats it. Thats all he said. I know these are bulletproof engines and it ran perfect before I let lil hillbilly work on it. I dont know what to do. I love my Z.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Ruff Ryder

if its smoking bad, i would prepare for atleast a top end rebuild, as for the burning trans fluid smell, is it an auto?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:34 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by ZThirtyOne
The mechanic said "new engine".
Maybe you should ask him to define the problem?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 PM

why does it have a "new engine?" and why did this lil hillbilly work on it?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Its a 5 speed. I recall the smell coming from my girlfriends Kia when the transmission went out. Its probably just a common burning smell. The guy who originally screwed up the car (the hillbilly), insisted he knew what he was doing as he had been working on fords and chevys for years. I had asked the mechanic to elaborate further and he told me that the slight engine knock is a permamnent problem that will only progress and that I need a new engine. The smokes white and it was coming out both sides of the engine.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Ruff Ryder

ok, when you say both sides of the motor, do you mean the exhaust or engine compartment? the 5spd on a z31 wont burn oil, it will leak it, but that burning smell is probably just your valve covers leaking onto the exhaust manifolds. also your knock could just be a REALLY bad tick, or a cam flopping around inside the head. i would definitely pull the valve covers and check it out, if you have time and aspirin, pulling the pan is an option too. but i would be prepared for the worst just in case. thank god these motors are cheap.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:05 PM

how much are they? and turbo?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM

I know before I had me engine messed with by other people, my car had a constant tick that would develop after a few moments of driving at higher rpms. The smoke seems to be coming from the exhaust manifold. Id love to head down the vg30dett swap road, but its just not feasible right now. I dont have the money and Id love to just have my Z running like it did a few weeks ago. Ive definitely learned my lesson though.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by ZThirtyOne
I know before I had me engine messed with by other people, my car had a constant tick that would develop after a few moments of driving at higher rpms. The smoke seems to be coming from the exhaust manifold. Id love to head down the vg30dett swap road, but its just not feasible right now. I dont have the money and Id love to just have my Z running like it did a few weeks ago. Ive definitely learned my lesson though.
if the smoke is coming from the manifolds, then you have a leaking valve cover gasket, which would also cure that smell. even if you could afford the dett swap, i dont think you would be able to afford to keep it running, also RB's are cheaper as for the knock, change your oil to a thicker conventional oil and see if it helps, its not a permanent solution by any means, but it should be a band aid for a couple months at least.