300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

careless mistake.. now car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
ern

careless mistake.. now car wont start

I have a 86 Z31 turbo (with a manual tranny conversion)...I was in a rush and installing a new battery when i reversed the polarity, I blew the fusible link for "power supply to the battery, accessory, EFI circuit and ignition switch" (the black one) and i replaced it. But I still have 2 problems:
1. fuel pump constantly runs
2. car is firing, but not catching

All fuses in the fuse box are fine when i looked at each of them. I forgot my test light so I have to go back to test the other fusible links...could this be the problem ? or is it a relay (if so, which one and where)?

thanks guys your help.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Honestly sounds like the fuel pump relay might be stuck on, as for the turning over/catching, i'd guess check that the main coil wire for the distributor has continuity and is in spec. Check the relay too.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 AM
ern

thanks I'll check the pump relay and ignition coil out tonight. Is it possible that i messed up the pump relay and ignition coil at the same time with the reversed polarity. I didnt even start the car when the battery connection was wrong... the fusible link burned out immediately...so i stopped everything.

I dont know if i made things worse, when i tried to start the car after correcting the polarity but also with the burned out fusible link. I tried to start it 3 times.

Last edited by ern; 04-08-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
ern

Ok my day just got worse....I changed out the fuel pump relay and no change...pump still wants to run constantly.

All other fusible links were checked with an ohm meter and they were all good.

So I proceeded to check the ECU for diagnostic codes...this is where it gets worse...i start to smell burning and there is a bit of smoke coming out of the ECU..so i shut the car off ASAP and unplug the ECU and take it right out. When i open the ECU everything looks OK...nothing burn that i could see.

With the ECU in I get power to the car..dash, power windows, lights... the car still turns/fires but does not want to catch...I gotta ask this silly question...but is it safe to say that my ECU is at fault?

I didnt get a chance to test my MSD blaster coil yet...i was pretty upset about the ECU thing especially since i invested in the JWT 450 hp package....could the coil be the problem for the car not starting or is it again the ECU?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

It is very likely that you fried your ECU when you hooked up your battery wrong.