300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Creaky doors!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM

Creaky doors!

Why do my doors creak when they're closed and I go over bumps? It's not a rattling, but definitely a creaking. Is it just because the weatherstripping is old, or the strikers, or what? (Neither look bad) It's driving me crazy, and I can't figure out what the hell is creaking. It doesn't matter if the windows are up or down. The only way it stops is if I open the door, so I assume it must be just the doors flexing a bit against the body? There is no play in the hinges, as far as I can tell. Is there a way to stop that?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 PM

nah i think its just like how you cant open the door if the car is jacked up. the body just moves. you could try the weatherstripping since you said its old and prolly needs to be replaced anyways so go for it.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Actually, that stripping looks good. Not even cracked or anything. Yeah, I think it just flexes enough to make them scrub a bit. Probably nothing I can do about it. Weatherstripping is very expensive for these cars. I already bit the bullet and bought the $500 dollars worth of T-top stripping, and it still leaks. I need to replace the one small strip that goes across the edge of the tops. I didn't get those, because the place I got the discounted T-top stripping from did not sell those pieces.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Ruff Ryder

try spraying a bunch of WD40 on the hinges and lube up the latch.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:46 AM

It actually is coming from the rear of the doors, but I don't suppose that could hurt. I'll also try spraying the weatherstripping down with something. Maybe that will help identify where it's coming from. Any suggestions on what to put on the rubber? Petroleum products will only dry and crack it eventually, I know. Perhaps a rubber reconditioner or some sort? Not sure where to get something like that, though.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Ruff Ryder

what i have used on creaking weather stripping a very light amount of vaseline, if you dont mind a little grease, putting a LIGHT layer of axle grease or bearing grease.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 AM

Unfortunately, those are petroleum products, and will dry out rubber, though. You'll actually be drying it out, in the long run.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 AM

yah good luck with whatever yah do.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Thanks! I believe I'll try PAM cooking spray. That should at least give temporary lubrication and if it stops, then I'll know I've found the problem. I think rubber reconditoner will be the best solution, if I can figure out where to get it.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Hey! PAM cooking spray actually worked! My doors are not creaking anymore.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 AM

congrats!! i wish i had yah luck...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 PM

Now if I can just get the T-tops to stop leaking! I have the strips on the way. I've replaced the most expensive parts already. I hope they'll stop dripping as soon as I replace that one little piece that goes across the tops.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM

mine do too. where do you get the strips and that little piece(thats prolly what it is).
Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM

It's very expensive for the biggest pieces that go around the tops and down the pillars, but the small strip is available from Nissan. It's cheaper to get it from http://nismoparts.com. I got the strips that go around the tops and windows at this place.

http://www.datsunrestore.com/datsun_stuff.html

Wow, I'm glad I got them when I did! That place seems to be down, now. They were about $565 bucks for the set. But that was definitely the cheapest I found anywhere. They had a small selection of Z31 parts and the weatherstripping just happened to be one of them. I hope they're not down for good.
They did not have the T-top strips, but they're only like $35 bucks per side if you order them online. (The small piece that runs along the mirror section, I got from nismoparts, too. They cost way too much, if you ask me!) Nismoparts is actually Bruce Titus Nissan in Tacoma, WA, but they give discounts for ordering from the nismoparts link. If/when you call them, you just have to make sure they know you're calling via the online link. I just ordered them today. Ask for Mike Stone and tell him Mike sent ya. (He's gotten to know me. I've given them a lot of money! LOL)

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-30-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 AM

yah thats my whole paycheck this month. i think i'll stick to my towel seat cover for now. but thanks! actually i might do the cheaper first and see if that works.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 AM

Yeah, it took me a very long time to pull the trigger on that, but I justified it because my interior is in such good shape, and paying someone to redo the interior and buying new carpet would cost considerably more. Plus, it's not only ruined my headliner, but I'm also getting tired of trying to hold a towel over each window when I take it through a carwash!
Z's are fun, but yes, you do have to throw endless money into them, if you don't want them to turn into junk within a few years. Maybe one day I'll catch up. I believe I can see the light at the end of the tunnel anyway.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Leaky t-top fix!

Look up this subject on Z31.com. They have a couple of sugestions. 1st is to adjust the t-top mounting points. 2nd is to use silly puddy as a sealant. it looks ugly but seems to work really good. Personally I am going to look for a slicktop and drop a VG30DET in it! Wahoo!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 04:06 PM

I have the short weatherstripping pieces coming soon. I hope they seal it up a bit better. Silly putty, eh? Yeah, I wish it was a slicktop now. T-tops are a pain in the ***. I wish they'd have just put a sunroof in it, like the 240SX or Maxima, or something.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you searched for, but "creaky doors", "leaky doors", or "leaky t-tops" brings up a bunch of **** not even remotely related to the topic. Their search sucks *****!

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 07-18-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Yeah, it does. Not sure about what I searched for specificaly bot I did find it eventualy. Location for the adjustors can be found in a haynes manual.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 PM

I didn't even know the tops could be adjusted. Maybe they need to be tweaked a bit. I'll take a look at my Haynes manual. I would think replacing all the weatherstipping and worn out window track pieces should have some affect, though.

Oh, I see. I really think it just needs the final T-top strips replaced, and maybe a light window adjustment. I can't see where adjusting those points would help anything, in my case. Interesting to know those are adjustable, though.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 07-20-2009 at 07:32 PM.