300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

In Drastic Need of Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 AM

In Drastic Need of Help!!

Alright this long story begins last week when my timing belt broke. It broke at 400 rpm with no chatter clanking or noise what so ever. Today we go out there and line both of the cam sprockets up and the crank sprockets up with their motor markings and change the belt and tensioner. When I try and start the car it cranks really slowly and occasionally will back fire but not start. Weve tried everything to figure it out and what not and i am at a loss. Does anyone have any input for me on this?

Please and Thanks, Zach
Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

It almost sounds like somethings 180 degrees out of alignment
Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
The Evil Twin

Charge up the battery again.

Then take out all six spark plugs and try doing a compression test. With the plugs out it should spin easier. If you get good compression and its even then you know the valve timing is correct.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 AM

We thought the crank may have been on its exhaust stroke so we took it all back apart turned the crank another 360 and it does the same thing. We havent tried a compression test on the other cylinders but number 1 has zero as it stands. And like i said it only back fires once in a while like maybe every 20 thirty seconds everyother time trying o crank it over.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM
The Evil Twin

If you can spin the crank 360 with the head (cams) staying stationary then you have a BIG problem.

I think all 12 of your valves are toast, burnt, bent, or otherwise no good.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
It almost sounds like somethings 180 degrees out of alignment
The only thing that could be 180 degrees out of alignment could be the distributor. If he didn't remove it, there can be no timing issues.

Having 0 psi of compression is a bad thing. Check all the cylinders for their compression. You may have done more than just snap a timing belt.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 PM

yeah we checked all of them on the left hand head to no avail did they have any compression. So i just went a head and started to pull the heads off and see how much head damage there is