300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Fairlady Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 AM

Fairlady Needs Help

I dont want to write a story, but I figured Id be as exact in the details as I could so the experts here at Zdriver can give me a hand. To start off, my car was running great last weekend. I noticed after cleaning off all the oil that had fouled most of my engine, that my valve cover gaskets were excessively dirty and dripping with oil. I changed the right one without a problem, but had trouble removing the cover on the left. Im sure others have had this problem as well. My caring aunt informed me that my cousins new boyfriend was an expert when it came to Ford and Chevy engines, so he should come over and help me get the cover off. What American engines have in common with a beautiful Japanese V engine I will never know. He came on over and started ripping things out like there was no tomorrow. I left for twenty minutes to pick myself up some dinner and upon retuning saw that my A/C compressor was laying out in my driveway and my upper intake manifold was completely removed. Upon closer inspection I saw that he completely removed my distributor as well. He assured me he knew exactly how to put everything back together and told e to go ahead and eat. Several hours later, he finally got everything assembled, but the car wont turn over. It starts to crank a little bit and then makes a hissing spark sound. The negative battery cable heats up incredibly quick and it smells like somethings burning. After telling me its my problem because He's an American muscle man, he went on his way. Ive been without a running car since and have a feeling Im going to spend this beautiful Memorial day weekend without my Fairlady
Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmm....?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Distinquished Guest

Well, Bubba was correct about the upper intake needing to come off, but, he really messed you up with the rest of his Remove & Replace antics.

At this point, I'd guess the distributor was re-installed incorrectly, thus, your engine is now way out of timing. It's sparking at the wrong time, and, it's igniting in a manner that causing it to push the pistons down when it shouldn't. You could almost equate this to a vapor seize, if there is such a thing. Gawd knows, what else might be messed up, but, timing, for sure.

Best advice: