300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

I must be crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 AM

I must be crazy

I allready had struts, brakes, full carpeting, fan clutch, master cylinder, spark plugs and wires, belts, upper radiator hose, hood supports, along with all the front end work.

She went back into the shop monday for front control arms, and a few other related repairs and replacements. Now I find out my pass. front wheel is sitting at negative 3.1 degrees camber, there is a small kink in the frame, the spindle is bent, the strut is bent, the wheel itself is sitting back slightly beyond where it should be. The rack and pinion is all over the place, the bearings MAY break when they go fix everything.....

She still needs a radiator, timing belt, and various other little bits and pieces replaced, plus whatever else I haven't discovered yet. And haven't even finished painting her!

True I got her for free....and the muffler was free also, I've been doing what repairs I can myself to save money on labor, but I'm not an expert and my boyfriends knowledge, tools, and time only goes so far, we have access to a fully equipped shop though, which helps.

I must be insane. Or is this typical? Should I sell her and look at getting something in better condition? Or have I come to far to give up now?

EDIT****

I completely forgot about the rust repairs and body work I did on the wheel wells, lower half of the drivers door, around the tail lights, inside the trunk....

Last edited by Oxide; 03-08-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Oxide
I must be insane.
Join the club.
Or is this typical?
From what I've seen, very common.
Should I sell her and look at getting something in better condition?
Yes. You probably should.
Or have I come to far to give up now?
Isn't that the point? Where you draw the line can only be determined by you. Do you put a monetary value on it and cut your losses? Do you just give up? Do you figure what the hell, and press on? Only you can really answer these questions.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a car that's rusted out in many places. But I live in Arizona where that really doesn't happen often.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Doesn't post much...

Yup, That's a though call for sure
Maybe you could find one of them that's in better physical shape that you can swap some of your Gucci parts on to... If you can find one at a good price, that may be your best bet. A bent frame on a Unibody car is a bad, bad thing... Chances are, that it will never be right again. You may always suffer from poor or erratic handling or excessive tire wear among other things if it's not fully straightened out... tough call indeed

Rod.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Unhappy

Is this the z you want to trade for my beauty?