300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Need help with gauges on 1985 300zx non turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Need help with gauges on 1985 300zx non turbo

Hey guys I have a problem with my 300zx z31 niether my oil gauge nor my tachometer. i have no idea where to find the fuses for them. Can anyone help? Pictures of locations and such would be nice.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Heh. Is it the digital cluster or the analogue cluster? I'm willing to bet it's the digital. But we need to know which one. if it's the digital, does it light up and turn on? I don't know much about the analogue ones but they should be just about the same as any other instrument cluster.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm sorry I have a analog cluster, all the other gauges work I will be happy to post some pictures when it gets back from the datsun doctor.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 AM

gauges

I have the same problem on my '86. As far as the oil pressure gauge, just get a mechanical one. Replacing my sending unit only worked for a year. O'Reilly's has a 2 5/8" gauge that will fit nicely. Hook up the gauge light to the cigarette lighter illumination, if you hook up to the dash illumination it will blow fuses. The oil line fitting is 1/8-37 NPT which is ALMOST the same as the threads in the block. Get a tap that size and just cut some new threads. Start engine for a sec to wash out the chips and you are ready to install.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with gauges on 1985 300zx non turbo-gauges.jpg  

Last edited by zardoz; 08-15-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 AM

Yeah the 2 5/8" gauges fit like a glove.. and a mechanical after market tach is real easy too wire in.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by zardoz
I have the same problem on my '86. As far as the oil pressure gauge, just get a mechanical one. Replacing my sending unit only worked for a year. O'Reilly's has a 2 5/8" gauge that will fit nicely. Hook up the gauge light to the cigarette lighter illumination, if you hook up to the dash illumination it will blow fuses. The oil line fitting is 1/8-37 NPT which is ALMOST the same as the threads in the block. Get a tap that size and just cut some new threads. Start engine for a sec to wash out the chips and you are ready to install.
Anyone who runs a mechanical oil pressure gauge into the cabin of their car deserves it when they get sprayed with scalding hot oil when the feed line breaks.

Only idiots use mechanical oil pressure gauges INSIDE THEIR CAR.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
Anyone who runs a mechanical oil pressure gauge into the cabin of their car deserves it when they get sprayed with scalding hot oil when the feed line breaks.

Only idiots use mechanical oil pressure gauges INSIDE THEIR CAR.
Never had a properly installed mechanical oil gauge malfunction on me, but yea that would suck. Noone likes to get burned. (Excellent point, AZ ZBum)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 AM

I've seen it happen twice now. I always thought it was a stupid idea before seeing a line burst. After seeing a line burst, I KNEW it was a stupid idea. There is a reason all the mechanical gauges have warnings on them NOT to install them inside the cabin of your vehicle. That plastic tube that feeds the gauge can get brittle or kinked or even just pop out of the back of the gauge. Then you have hot oil surging into your car. VERY BAD. Not just from the stand point of having hot oil in your car, but also the chance of having all the oil drain out and seize your engine.

These gauges were "properly installed". Doesn't discount the fact that things wear out and plastic and rubber don't always blend well with the many possible sharp metal edges that are available under the dash or firewall.