300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Need HELP with steering column u-joint

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Need HELP with steering column u-joint

On my 85NA I slowly noticed that i was gettin a whole lot of steering wheel play in the last couple of weeks. I did an inspection underneath with a buddy of mine and we concluded that there is a few problems. Bad Inner tie rods, Bad strut rod bushings, Bad lower ball joints, and a BAD Steering Column U-joint just above the steering rack and pinon. The good news is I work at OReilly's and got dealer listing parts that i needed to keep my Z going and saved almost 80 bucks. Bad news is the Steering Column U-Joint is a very hard to find part.

I did my research on finding a new one. I found one out of a 84 NA 2+2. Great looking shape and have taken numerous parts off it. The crappy thing is its out of a wrecking yard (No problem, used parts are good and save money) but it sits directly on the ground with one missing wheel in the front, flat tires all around, and a dang cactus growing underneath the engine bay.

The wrecking yard told me that i can have it for 20 bucks but i would have to get it my self. Now how do i get that removed from going through the top of the engine? No, I can't floor jack it cuz it sits on a sandy lot. So going underneath is out of the question. Also how do i disconnect it from the steering rack and pinon? I was figuring it was only the u-joint thats bad or possibly the whole lower steering shaft with u-joint?

Does anyone know of a website that sells that particular part? I have googled it numerous times and have failed. I have found it on Courtesyparts.com but they want 145 bucks with shipping brand new. I don't think so cuz i can not afford it now and plus i wanna start driving my z and getting it back on the road.

Thanks guys.

PS
I'll post some pics of the parts car later today or tomorrow. So if yall want some parts I can hook it up for ya. While I'm there dismantling the whole thing for other parts I need. Its pretty much complete but missing a few things. It's a 1984 300zx 2+2 NA w/ T-tops. The guy plans to crush it when I'm done. Hit me up.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM

wow no replies.... then again it doesn't surprise me....
Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 AM
The Good Twin

Have you called a local driveline shop to see if they can fix it or get you one? Have you looked at the engine bay to see if you can remove enough stuff to get it from the top?

And I really doubt you "can't" lift it where it's at. I've done it several times with cars sitting on their frames in the mud. It's not fun, but if you want the part, you CAN find a way. Hell... why not ask a worker at the j-yard if they can pick the car up w/ a forklift?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

I think the same as a 280zx but my son got the z31 and I can't look but if the same. Take the four bolts out of the flexible coupling drive em out with a pin punch if necessary. if can't get them out remove the upper pinch bolt from the yoke that mates with the flex coupling. Now spread the yoke sleeve apart with a screwdriver and drive the yoke down onto the drive rod with a hammer. You may need a long piece of rod to hit it. Remove the pinch bolt from the universal that mates to the steering rack. Now you got to yank, pull, pry that universal off the steering rack. A right angle pry bar with a thin hook should do. try a wonder bar (carpenter tool).
Old 06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

further to above. You must fully remove the pinch bolts to get anything to move as the one on the steering rack has a groove to accept the bolt and the yoke above has a flat.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:30 AM

The only way I know is to get them to lift it and set it up for you. Most yards will lift a car so you can get what you need, unless they don't want to sell anything. The last one that did that for me though, charged me $50 ****ing dollars for the little 8 inch AC line that comes off the bottom of the condenser. They charged me just for lifting the damn car, really. It was worth it, since I did manage to get my AC working fine again, though.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Nismo ya right, if i really want it, i will find a way. Sadly the junkyard does not have a forklift to pick it up for me. I also tried to exploit every means possible to rent one or possibly have someone help me. So this problem resorts me to try here on line to see if there is an easier way to accomplish this through this difficult obstacle that lies ahead of me. There's a saying i learned from the Corps, " Work smarter not harder " Like I said, thats why im online seeking the knowledge i need from guys like ya self to aid me in successfully obtaining the u-joint i need. I hate to go underneath and risk getting injured while Im working. No part is worth getting hurt over. This is why i searching to see if its possible to accomplish this through the top of the engine bay. Thanks for the heads up though bro.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by rogerz
I think the same as a 280zx but my son got the z31 and I can't look but if the same. Take the four bolts out of the flexible coupling drive em out with a pin punch if necessary. if can't get them out remove the upper pinch bolt from the yoke that mates with the flex coupling. Now spread the yoke sleeve apart with a screwdriver and drive the yoke down onto the drive rod with a hammer. You may need a long piece of rod to hit it. Remove the pinch bolt from the universal that mates to the steering rack. Now you got to yank, pull, pry that universal off the steering rack. A right angle pry bar with a thin hook should do. try a wonder bar (carpenter tool).
Is this possible through the top if i were to remove the washer fluid resevoir, master cylinder, and heat shield? thanks brutha.