300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

New to the Z game.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 PM

New to the Z game.

Hey guys the name is TJ. Just got this 1985 300zx turbo with the electronic adjustable suspension. As of right now tomorrow i'm putting some NAPA rear shocks on, the ones on there are clearly bad, and thursday or friday i'm getting a new windshield. Any budget tips to make this car faster or corner better would be greatly apperciated. When i was looking for a car i was looking 240sx's so i don't know a whole lot about this car.

How do you post an image?

Last edited by FlyAssMelonBall; 07-10-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. all those things will make you think you are driving a diffent car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

there is a start. if you can't fit the shocks you need to find an n/a car at the junk yard and take the mounting plates so you can fit after market shocks. I'd go with tokico or bilstein rather than NAPA
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Well the NAPA shocks are ordered and they are temps. until i can afford the 5 way adjustable tokico shocks and struts.