300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Smell, that smelly smell; that smells.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 05:58 PM

Exclamation Smell, that smelly smell; that smells.

Hello, I'm new to this whole forum thing so try and take it easy on me. I've skimmed the threads a bit, and searched the old google as well on this current topic.

To put it simply, I don't know how to exactly describe this smell that I'm getting a whiff of, its only now just caused me some concern after seeing some precious Z31's go up in flames on instagram. It doesn't penetrate the cabin, it's only when I pop the hood and get in the engine bay that I get a whiff of it. It permeates through the entire engine bay and is most prominent after driving the car when its gotten nice and hot. It smells like nothing I'm familiar with other than a description I will soon give towards the end of this post. After a quick inspection, no signs of fuel leak, as I feel that would overpower anything and make me recoil, and I've already replaced all soft fuel lines. It couldn't be exhaust as it seems to stick around long after the car is shut off. Maybe oil or coolant? But the only signs of a oil leak large enough to cause this smell are from the rear main that I've been neglecting. What about coolant? No signs of pooling, staining, or steam after driving. Only signs of a leak topside are a cracked and weeping "soft" line from the power steering reservoir. What about the serp. belts? Good shape recently replaced and not throwing rubber. My tires are in good shape, no rubbing or scrubbing and I'm not lowered, in fact I'm technically raised a bit. Also no signs of excess brakes dust/wear as far as I'm aware.

With that said, I'll try my best describing it now. It smells hot, like hot rubber or plastic, not burnt, like an old Mercedes on a hot day type rubber almost.

Am I over thinking this? Anybody else can attest to this smell? or should I invest in a fire extinguisher?

If you have suggestions please let me know or direct me to a post I might have missed. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2024, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mildisc66
If you have suggestions please let me know or direct me to a post I might have missed. Thanks!
Have you compared it (the smell) to other vehicles? I'm always kinda surprised what odours linger after driving even a new-ish car.
Old 07-02-2024, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Great White Zed
Have you compared it (the smell) to other vehicles? I'm always kinda surprised what odours linger after driving even a new-ish car.
Honestly I’m a little scent deaf from working in automotive for the last 3 years, so it's hard to even tell where a smell is coming from, let alone if I smell it in the first place. However I have tried to see if my Camry makes a similar smell after driving, but I think it had cooled off and I had checked too late since I took the Z for a drive shortly after coming home. I will report back after Lunch where I usually sit in my car for about an hour. Could just be off gassing from swollen previously oil soaked rubbers. Who knows.

Last edited by Mildisc66; 07-02-2024 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2024, 03:10 PM

My Camry seems to not make any distinct smells. However after sitting in my car and thinking for a bit I did realize that my AC compressor, despite working fine, is in fact leaking last I checked. A sticky brown goo was cleaned up when I was fixing some leaks on my P/S rack. Perhaps the 37 Y/O original compressor oil is heating up on the side of the block making that smell. However, my anxiety has passed and I'm not as worried anymore. Primarily because the smell isn't entirely unpleasant or too overwhelming, and has been present since I've bought the car two years ago. With how much I've been in the engine bay in those two years, I'm certain I'm not in danger of a fire. Yet. I will purchase an extinguisher to ease my mind incase something were to happen. In the mean time I will continue to do my checks before driving. Please feel free to give insights if any one of you have any further thoughts on this matter.

Last edited by Mildisc66; 07-02-2024 at 03:13 PM.