300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Stand Alone ECM using stock distributor and coil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Stand Alone ECM using stock distributor and coil question

Hello to everyone! Newbie here!
I have a RX-7 wide body with a VG30 engine turbo swap (ditch the rotacrapper) currently running with all stock sensors and stock ECU. But now I got myself a stand alone programable ECM which I would like to install on this car (I have installed the same ECM on other cars with susccess) The questions is this: How do I run the stock distributor and coil of the VG30 with my stand alone ECM?
My ECM can work with Hall effect, Coil, inductive pick up, etc., but I need to know which wires of the so called transistor (I know that there's a transistor involved somewhere, but I honestly dont have a clue on how it works or even where it is), the distributor and the coil are and what they do in order to match them up with my ECM and effectively control spark timming.

I have wiring schematics and everything involved that I got when I did the swap the first time, but none show me what the wires do (+, -, etc..) and which colors they are.

Thank's in advance

PS: Here is a picture of my ride
Attached Thumbnails Stand Alone ECM using stock distributor and coil question-team-marios-ride-4.jpg  
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Sell your Stand Alone, go Nistune, and be done with it.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bates
Sell your Stand Alone, go Nistune, and be done with it.
Nistune? never heard of it. Could you please give me details. Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver! Got any pics of the engine bay?

Originally Posted by IMSA RX300
Nistune? never heard of it. Could you please give me details. Thanks
Clicky: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nistune
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver! Got any pics of the engine bay?

Clicky: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nistune
Supposing I will want to keep my current ECM, what changes I need to do to manage the stock ignition system. Here is the thing, what I need is some orientation on how to do it. I've done coil/distributor setups before, but the ignition system of these engines are somehow confusing for me. Again, I've never dealt with this "transistor type" I have read about on numerous threads. I dont know where is located or if it's even needed for my stand alone setup. Since I just used the stock 300zx wiring harness and ECM I havent really got deep on this system. The only things I know are from the schematics I downloaded for the swap, but none showed the location of the transistor and /or cable colors and their function on the ignition system.

I know its sound annoying and stubborn, but the thing is that my current wiring harness is in really bad shape, I have cold/hot starting and driving problems and my ECM is getting extra hot, which could be because of bad wires or who knows what. Besides I got the new stand alone ECM and new harness already and its ready for installation.

I will post some pictures of the engine bay shortly
Thank's again
Ed