300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Thought I'd introduce myself.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Thought I'd introduce myself.

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking on here for a while, but thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Al, and I live just outside of Vancouver, BC. I'm a dyed in the wool German car guy, having spent almost 20 years wrenching on VW, Audi, Porsche and BMW as a career. My dad is a lifelong Volvo man, and I've dabbled in those as well. BUT, back in 1988, my mom turned our car world upside down, and bought a Nissan!!! A 1987 300zx 2+2 NA. Purchased brand new from Fairview Nissan, in Burlington, Ontario. I still have the original dealer books, folders, warranty cards, and bill of sale.

Mom drove the car daily for many years, before it lost a fuel pump in 2002, when she felt it was old to be a viable daily, so she parked it in my brother's garage, and bought a new Hyundai. At that time, the odometer read 152000km. Last year, my brother was getting sick of looking at it, and mom called me to tell me she would be selling the Z for $500 to a family friend! Backing up a bit, I loooooved that Z. Got driver's license in it in 92, took it on dates, first car I drove over 100mph, may have gotten some "road head" in it, etc. haha. Long story short, I replied to that with a "LIKE HELL", and the car was promptly signed over to me.

Father time had taken it's toll on the car, of course. I had changed the oil just before it was parked, and removed the battery, but that was it. Well, I bought a new battery, brought it to my brother's installed it, and twisted the key. She fired right up! First try after 6 years in storage. Everything worked, even the AC. I drove it to my shop, and gave her an inspection. What I found was not good. Exactly what I expected, but not good. Muffler had rotten out, brakes were sticking, aluminum bits were looking corroded, some rust has started on the left rear wheel arch, etc. Since that day, she has received pads, rotors, hoses, master cylinder, and calipers. Also had plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, CHTS, fuel filter, air filter, multiple oil changes, ball joints, coolant hoses, timing belt, waterpump, drive belts, Maxima alternator, Prothan bushings, fresh Michelins, and a host of other wallet raping items. But she runs great, handles well, stops great, and everything works. I use her as a semi-daily driver in the nice weather, and park her in the winter.

This winter she will receive an OE radio to replace the Pioneer unit, a new OEM exhaust, a new steering rack, and I'll be pulling the 15" wheels in favour of some repainted 16" turbo wheels which I have. I will also be talking to my bodyman about cleaning up the wheelarch and repainting both bumper covers. I also have a set of Tokico HPs to go in, but am undecided about whether I should lower it a bit or not. Considering some Eibach springs, and perhap some 15mm H&R wheel spacers behind the turbo wheels. Subtle mods, but I think it will really look nice. The only other mod is a 5 speed conversion from the auto. Sports car are supposed to have 3 pedals, dammit! haha

After that is done, I'd like to get the engine bay looking clean and fresh again, and basically just stay on top of maintenance and repairs, and drive her. She'll never see more than 3-5k km a year, but that's ok, she deserves the good life.

Here's how she looked after a quick wash and inspection when I retrieved her from my brothers garage. I don't have any current pics, but I've since reinstalled the side skirts.

Little off topic, but she also shares garage space with these 2....

1977 BMW 630csi

2001 Honda RC51
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Wow man that is a great looking Z! Awesome that you are taking care of it and your from the NW!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 PM

Well, it's actually the SW where I live. haha.

It used to be a great looking Z, now it's more of an old looking Z, but I will bring her back! It's tough, when I can remember exactly what she looked like on the showroom floor. Now I see sun faded wheels and trim, purple upholstery, etc. But thanks, I appreciate the comment.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Political n00b crusher

Nice collection of toys. Like the RC51!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SportBikeMike
Nice collection of toys. Like the RC51!
Looks like you have a nice fleet of you own! I love my cars, but if I could only keep 1, it would be the RC51. I put 2000km on the Z in the past year, less than that on the BMW, and 22000km on the bike. haha
Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Political n00b crusher

Originally Posted by Son of Lars
Looks like you have a nice fleet of you own! I love my cars, but if I could only keep 1, it would be the RC51. I put 2000km on the Z in the past year, less than that on the BMW, and 22000km on the bike. haha
Allright thats the spirit! Unfortunately we have a short riding season around here, so I usually put only about 2500-3000 miles on the bikes in a year. Gotta love the V-twin sportbikes though! I like the in-line 4s too, so I have one of each...depending on my mood. Wouldn't mind picking up an RC some day, great-looking bikes.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SportBikeMike
Allright thats the spirit! Unfortunately we have a short riding season around here, so I usually put only about 2500-3000 miles on the bikes in a year. Gotta love the V-twin sportbikes though! I like the in-line 4s too, so I have one of each...depending on my mood. Wouldn't mind picking up an RC some day, great-looking bikes.
The RC51 is the most amazing machine I've ever dropped my ***** on. It does everything really well, without feeling like a soul less Honda like my CBRs did. I ride with a guy with a 916, and another with a 998 Bayliss. Both of them feel the RC is a better machine, just doesn't have the sex appeal of the Italians. Honda set out to beat Ducati at their own game, and did it pretty well. 2002 Imola WSBK race has come close to causing fist fights around here. haha.

I hear you on the short riding season, I grew up in Toronto. Vancouver is much better most years, but this year has sucked. Rained until July, and started raining again last month. It's been a shitty season, but I managed to take advantage of the few good weeks in the middle. I had a GSXR750 before the RC, and that old girl was sold with 171000km on the odo. Still running well for the new owner.