300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

1990 radio harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:13 PM

1990 radio harness

just wondering if anyone knows where i can get an aftermarket radio harness for my 90 tt.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

I'm assuming you mean to connect an aftermarket stereo to the factory wiring right?

Walmart, Kmart, local auto parts store, best buy, circuit city and radio shack all carry harnesses. Be aware that if you go to the major electronics stores you'll pay vastly more than if you just get the $7 one from walmart.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:29 PM

yes, after I reread it , it sounded confusing to me. I talked a car audio dealer and he said that they do not make one for it, that i have to tap into the existing one. i thought he might be wrong.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

The regular Nissan one will work. They told you that because of the stock Bose system. It'll work. Are you using the stock Bose speakers? If so, I got a handy trick that'll help you use your aftermarket deck with the stock Bose system.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

Don't hold back, Rizz!! I got my new head unit, and I plan on keeping the Bose for a little while. So what's the secret after getting the harness from Walmart?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

ok, so after you get the walmart harness, you'll have to make a trip to Radio Shack. Pick up two pairs (that's 4) of rca plug blanks. They won't have any wires coming out of them, just plain plugs. The center is the positive and the outer casing is negative. Wire the blank rca's left and right, front and back to the walmart harness. They're attached to the speaker wires from the harness. The rca's are then attached to the preamp outputs of your aftermarket radio. If your head unit only has one set of outputs instead of front and back, then you'll have to also pick up from walmart or radio shack some "2 female to one male" Y-style rca jacks. Then on the harness just hook up your constant power, switched power, ground, and antenna/amp turn on lead. Done.
What this does is emulate the Bose head unit, in that, the Bose head unit sends a preamp signal to the Bose speakers. Since each speaker has it's own amplifier, sending it an already amplified signal will result in noise and distortion at relatively low volume levels from your head unit. The better the head unit's preamp voltage the better the sound. Most of your higher end head units will have anywhere from 2-6 volts of preamp power which should yield you noise and distortion free sound at relative high volume levels. The only thing you guys might want to add is a pair of tweeters for the front and/or a sub. The stock speakers aren't the clearest or cleanest sounding speakers but they're extremely sturdy. The amps'll go before the speakers do. A sub will obviously beef up the low end.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
The amps'll go before the speakers do.
Hey Rizz,

Thanks for the tip. I just finished installing the new player, and I probably couldn't have done it without your help! Those little RCA tips are a biatch though!! Wasn't there an easier way, like if I got some RCA cables and cut the tips off, couldn't I simply twist and tape instead of trying to wire those tiny little pain-in-the-@$$ jacks myself?? Sigh, I never want to see another RCA jack again...

And since you mentioned the amps going out, I think one of my speaker/amp units may die soon. From what you've said, it's most likely the amp. Is that easy to find and easy to install? Any info would be greatly appreciated buddy. Thanks!

Here's how it looks now:
Old 04-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by Copper727
Hey Rizz,

Those little RCA tips are a biatch though!! Wasn't there an easier way, like if I got some RCA cables and cut the tips off, couldn't I simply twist and tape instead of trying to wire those tiny little pain-in-the-@$$ jacks myself?? Sigh, I never want to see another RCA jack again...
Rofl!!!
yeah, you could've done it that way. I just found it easier and more reliable the other way. I didn't have any trouble with them.

Originally Posted by Copper727
And since you mentioned the amps going out, I think one of my speaker/amp units may die soon. From what you've said, it's most likely the amp. Is that easy to find and easy to install? Any info would be greatly appreciated buddy. Thanks!
If one of the Bose amps goes out then that would be a good incentive to buy an aftermarket amplifier. Finding another Bose amp will be quite the task. You can occasionally find them on ebay. If you manage to locate one it's just a matter of dissasembly and swapping the units. If you've never seen what the Bose amps look like, trust me, they won't impress you. There quite the little rinky dink units compared to the aftermarket powerhouses. Up to you my friend, replace and keep the mediocre or upgrade to something clearer, cleaner, and more powerful.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:53 AM

Thanks rizz for the advice. I havent been around for awhile wife just gave birth to our first child. I am not using the bose system. thanks for the input.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 PM

Congrats to the new baby rookie!

Copper-
Have I been living under a rock? When did you buy the TT? I remember discussing the possibility if you purchasing one, but I don't recall the announcement that you finally made the final decision. I thought it was going to be yellow?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Copper-
Have I been living under a rock? When did you buy the TT? I remember discussing the possibility if you purchasing one, but I don't recall the announcement that you finally made the final decision. I thought it was going to be yellow?
Hahaaha! No, you didn't miss my post because I haven't had time to write it yet. But hey, spring break is next week...maybe I'll have time to post some pics by then. In the mean time, here's how she looks at the moment before I put the JDM front fascia and JDM taillights on her (Yeah Rizz, I got it from Ultimate Z). Rims will have to come at a later date. So many darn rims to choose from! By the way, if anyone knows where I can pick up some SSR GT3's for cheap, hook me up!!

Old 04-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

What size and finish do you want those rims in?
Any specific brand tires?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
What size and finish do you want those rims in?
Any specific brand tires?
Good question! Sorry I don't have a definite answer for that yet. But if it's the SSR GT3's, I would prefer 18X8.5 in the front with Potenza S-03 245/40R18's and 18X10 in the rear with 275/35R18's (or something around there). Chrome finish would be sweeeeeeet of course, but gotta consider the extra cost involved. It's gotta have some decent lip, but other than that, if it looks good and it's light, I'm down with it! Even though I'm not in any hurry, that would be the next and only thing on the agenda...for now.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

PM sent to ya Copper.

You got some money to blow on rims or you just shopping by style? Those GT3's are quite pricey.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:42 AM

Have you thought about going with 17's up front and 18's in the rear? That's what I have. Unless I was fed a line of crap by Stillen, that's what Steve Millen used when he raced the Z32. He found that setup performed better than 18's all the way around. I have the same tire sizes that you mentioned. It looks great!