300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

FAQ for removing lense from taillight signal

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Midwest Cruiser

FAQ for removing lense from taillight signal

Ok....I have this:

And want to put it in this:

Anyone have an FAQ for removing a tail light lense from the rest of the housing so that I can do this? I know I have to use an oven....but beyond that....
Thanks...
Old 08-15-2005, 01:17 PM

Leave it. It looks kick *** as is.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Dan's the Man

You can use a heat gun (low setting) or hair dryer to heat of the housing till the glue softens and you can pry the leans from the housing. Be extremely careful when using a heat gun or an over. The lens and housing can very easily be damaged by heat.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:01 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

Glad someone is asking, cause I can help

I did it w/ these instructions here
however I don't recommend using a bathtub like they show, its too hard to keep the water warm long enough, so here is how I did it:

Step 1. Remove taillight from car, and clean off as much of the black tar from the edge of the housing (just to keep things cleaner)

Step 2. Remove the little brass screw from the back of the housing *Make sure to do this, you can really stress the plastic and crack the plastic of the front portion which can ultimately end your project pretty quickly...I learned the hard way*

Step 3. Place the housing in an oven set from about 110-140 degrees, I wouldnt exceed this range, but if your worried about it, start at a low temp and work higher. Keep it in the oven for about 10 - 20 mins, may vary depending on what elevation your at.

Step 4. When the housing is warm enough, you should be able to place a screwdriver between the clear portion and the black portion and seperate the two slowly *that tar stuff is still a pain even at warm temps*, and I really recommend working around the edge of the housing and prying up the little square peg-like clips that hold it together (you'll see what i'm talking about when your at this stage).

I suggest starting from the lower outside corner (the rounded corner) so that any marks made wont be seen when you put it back on your car. After you've seperated the two sides a little, you should be able to get a really good grip on the two sections and pull them apart. *If you've got any probs up to this point, PM me so I can clarify any misunderstanding*

Step 5. Once you remove the previous lense you can either buy those clear lenses on ebay, or run to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up some lighting material and cut out the proper shaped piece. Just place it in til it fits right, and re assemble.

Step 6. I recomend putting the housing back in the oven once the two sides are as far together as you can get them, so that you can press them even farther together. And Viola! It should come out looking pretty good.

I know this is just a text walkthrough, and pics would be really nice, but go figure, I forgot to do pics when I made mine, so if you have ANY probs, just PM me and I'd be more than happy to help you out since I know how difficult it can be when you've never done it before. The japanese walkthrough is pretty good for a visual idea, but it sort of leaves out the whole oven/prying part out. Good Luck!

Just a look at my final result -

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 08-15-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:13 PM

Just one question, you really thinking of taking apart your JDM tails for some Home Depot lenses? If you are, maybe you ought to consider just trading me
Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Midwest Cruiser

Heck no.....the home depot lenses are in the car now....i have a JDM set....the passenger side is fine, i'll just put that one right in....but the driver's side came with the lense cracked. So what i am going to do is take apart my USA tail light, and use that lense on the housing I have for the JDM....it will be jspec when i am done...
Old 08-15-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by WichitaZRide
Heck no.....the home depot lenses are in the car now....i have a JDM set....the passenger side is fine, i'll just put that one right in....but the driver's side came with the lense cracked. So what i am going to do is take apart my USA tail light, and use that lense on the housing I have for the JDM....it will be jspec when i am done...
Thank god, thats good to hear. I guess just follow the steps do disassemble it and i'm sure you can figure it out.