300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Lighting - PIAA Xtreme White Plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
My reasoning is DON'T BUY CHEAP CRAP, not: only buy BMW! There are good aftermarket kits out there, but again... when they are cheaper: beware. That is all.
I understand where you're coming from Nismo, but these aftermarket units are either at about that low price or they're OEM units. Infact, when I started all this, I expressed my reservations given the fact that a single bulb from an OEM bi-xenon unit costs more than two of these aftermarket retrofits. I also never pretended to believe that the xenon bulb in a halogen or projector housing will scatter the light in a similar pattern. That not withstanding, the units that I purchased seemed very well done (from China, not withstanding). They simply didn't work for me, and I have no idea why.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Snw and entropy, you guys are absolutely correct. It's almost impossible to conceive that one will be stopped for this installation. My concern was what effects it would have on oncoming traffic. But I didn't consider the fact that the projector lens is similar to what the OEM xenons are enclosed in. snw, I really tried every wiggling trick I could. It didn't work. I will give it another try tomorrow, maybe I'll get lucky. I really don't see why it wouldn't work, unless the second ballast is also bad!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Über User

our projectors are true projectors, same thing that HID's use, the beam is focused, your not blinding anyone. but its still an issue if you cant get it to work.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM

Has anyone had problems with Silvestars? I installed them in Amy's Acura and it seems that they only last 6-12 months before they burn out.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Über User

only had silverstar's in my Z32 for about 3 months before i got the HID's swapped.... other wise they light everything really well. and i think my friend has had his in his honda for a couple years now. since early sr. year at highschool at least (sophmore in college now)
Old 02-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Well, I'll have to keep these HIDs retrofits

like it or not. I took the package to UPS and was quoted $175 to shipp to the People's Republic, Ouch!!!! That's way more than what I paid for the thing, so, I'll keep the pieces and try again, maybe this weekend. Meanwhile, if anyone wants them, make me a deal - you get them, test to make sure they work and then pay me. After this weekend, I'll pretty much know whether or not to keep them.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
General Z User

Wow, sorry to hear of your trouble with the kit. I still have mine and I have a few friends in the area with the same kit with no issues.
Are you sure you're getting all the wires hooked-up properly? It's not difficult to reverse the polarity on the plug that goes to the ballast, and that will prevent the bulb from lighting.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barry'Z(NJ)
Wow, sorry to hear of your trouble with the kit. I still have mine and I have a few friends in the area with the same kit with no issues.
Are you sure you're getting all the wires hooked-up properly? It's not difficult to reverse the polarity on the plug that goes to the ballast, and that will prevent the bulb from lighting.
No, the way the sockets are set up in the design I have, they can really only go one way to catch the clips on the male sockets. I will check again tomorrow. One ballast works - on both sides with all four bulbs. Neither of the other two ballasts works with any of the lights. I still think it's a ballast problem. BTW, I'm not even testing two ballats (one on each side) at a time. I'm testing OEM on one side then ballasts on the other side. I did e-mail the seller to see if they can send me another ballast - I don't expect they will, but who knows!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Got them both working

Turns out it was a polarity problem like Barry'Z suggested, basically due to bad design. Like I'd posted earlier, the design of the male piece would not allow it to engage the safety tab on the OEM female socket. I turned it around and prayed not to blow up anything and it worked fine. However, in this position, the safety tab is completely disengaged, though the assembly stays solidly connected. I'll look for a way to reverse the cables in the male plug so the safety tabs engage properly. But for now, I'm OK. Will make the installation permanent when I install a POP charger - there'll be room there to safely store the ballasts.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Über User

congrats! i was close with my plug theory. lol. i knew after all of us having success you couldnt get such bum luck on 2 different ballasts types.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
General Z User

Glad you got it figured out