300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Rock guard removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Rock guard removal

Anyone have their rock guard sanded smooth? I havn't heard of anybody doing this and maybe I'm a fool for asking. Its kind of ugly IMO but I guess it serves its purpose. I am planning on getting a jspec or Stillen GTZ-R front fascia and debating on whether to sand the rock guard down. Might get side skirts and rear valence also but I think the car would look good with just the fascia.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:07 PM

Rock Guard? Are you talking about the front valance? The part whhere thhe paint is 'bumpy'. If so, then I wouldn't recommend it. I believe it is just the type of paint they put on there. It won't likely come out right.

As for the Stillen GTZ-R nose piece. I have it and if I had it to do all over again, I'd get the JDM nose. I don't like the way it fits. The seams are far less than perfect. Go with the JDM. You'll be much happier.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Rock Guard? Are you talking about the front valance? The part whhere thhe paint is 'bumpy'. If so, then I wouldn't recommend it. I believe it is just the type of paint they put on there. It won't likely come out right.

As for the Stillen GTZ-R nose piece. I have it and if I had it to do all over again, I'd get the JDM nose. I don't like the way it fits. The seams are far less than perfect. Go with the JDM. You'll be much happier.
Yes, at the bottom where it's bumpy. Some of the paint is peeling at the bottom where the rock guard is and it's just a matter of time before the rest of the paint starts to go. I am trying to update the look of the whole car. 14 year old factory paint can't look good for too much longer so I am planning on getting it all repainted. Do you know how long it takes before it starts to rust underneath the factory paint? It is stored outside unfortunately so that might speed up the rust process. Time to get a car cover. I will try and post some pics soon.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:55 PM

If your talking about the nose piece, rust won't be a problem because it's plastic. If it's pealing in other places, then the rust could becom an issue. It depends on multiple factors. If you live in an area where it gets cold in the winter for them to salt the roads, then rust will become an issue much more quickly. Or if you live near a body of salt water (Not likely in TN).
Old 09-23-2004, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
If your talking about the nose piece, rust won't be a problem because it's plastic. If it's pealing in other places, then the rust could becom an issue. It depends on multiple factors. If you live in an area where it gets cold in the winter for them to salt the roads, then rust will become an issue much more quickly. Or if you live near a body of salt water (Not likely in TN).
I was talking about the hood, fenders etc. Come on now I know plastic won't rust
Old 09-24-2004, 11:08 AM

If the paint on those pieces has worn down to the metal, then there's not a whole lot you can do. They're going to rust no matter what. Most of the exterior panels are coated with a rust preventative, but it won't work forever. If you do notice it beginning to rust, then when you do have it painted, make sure they prep the surface properly. If not, then the rust can fester under the new paint and cause it to bubble.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Ruined By Spudz

did anyone else have some orange peel kinda lookin stuff on their side skirts, front valance, and under part of rear bumper..it was like it when i bought it..wondering if it was the paint or the surface or what
Old 09-24-2004, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by My Fairlady Z
did anyone else have some orange peel kinda lookin stuff on their side skirts, front valance, and under part of rear bumper..it was like it when i bought it..wondering if it was the paint or the surface or what
If its that bumpy area that's on the bottom then it's the rock guard. It comes like that from the factory and keeps the paint from chipping off.
My paint hasn't worn down to the metal yet but some of it is peeling off on the sides where the rock guard is. I am still wanting to get it all repainted though. I will probably get it done after I get a new fascia and spoiler. My stock spoiler is bubbling up where the sticker is. They should have used better material instead of that rubber crap or whatever it is. I will probably get the kaminari spoiler since it's the closest to stock.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:23 PM

What about the JDM wing? It will require some body work on a '90, but IMO it looks the best. I'll be putting that on mine in a few years. I'll have to do the same body work on my '91 as you would have to do.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:28 PM

Yeah the JDM looks pretty good but I kinda like the flush mount ones also. Is yours bubbling up too? I heard that the hatch will eventually start to rust if it's not taking care of. It looks terrible on mine. The sticker is all peeled off except for the bottom part but I dont want to take it off because it looks worse underneath.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:00 PM

The paint's cracked in a few places. Doesn't look great, but it'll do for now.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 PM

i have a 90 TT and the whoel black piece pealed off.... it looks like crap, but hey.... it can all be fixed..... i was tlaking to a guy who had a 92 N/A, and he said that he tried to sand off the rock guard, and it turned out like crap, so he had to put it back on w/ some sort of textured paint or something.... i would just keep it on, if you get side skirts and new bumpers then it will all be gone/covered anyway