300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

Disabling anti-lock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 AM

Disabling anti-lock brakes

Has anyone had any experience disabling anti-lock brakes on their Z? I've nearly hit someone several times because I couldn't stop with full braking ability.

I know that race drivers often disable anti-lock mechanisms but I'm wondering if anyone has done this and if they found it improved stopping ability.

I have a '90 N/A. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Johann B
Old 05-15-2006, 03:19 AM
Taste My Rainbow

Easy Don't Follow To Close And Don't Drive As Fast... Just Messen With Ya I Have No Idea Not Sure If Its A Good Idea Though.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:12 AM

Dosn't sound like a good idea. The stock Z32 brakeing system lacks in brakeing ablity. You might try getting a master cylinder brace found here: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...4224.155.13.10
or here: http://www.megaz.net/mcb.htm
Also getting some stainless steal brake lines would help (little more expensive)
found here: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...1824.155.13.10
Or if you really have some money you can get lager rotors and better callipers. Your problem is not with the ABS it is in the weak design nissan used on these cars.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:19 AM

Thanks guys... I appreciate it. I need to replace my rotors anyway since I'm getting indications of warping on one or more of them.

It's really scary when you stand on the pedal and you can't even come close to locking the wheels. I'm beginning to see why so many 90-96 Z's have damaged bumper fascia.

Danke!
Johann B.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:57 PM

Eh, the bottom front of my bumper is compltely torn off, but its cause someone forgot to close a manhole cover all the way which was right next to a small dip in the road ... that was a heartstopping crunch for sure
Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
Eh, the bottom front of my bumper is compltely torn off, but its cause someone forgot to close a manhole cover all the way which was right next to a small dip in the road ... that was a heartstopping crunch for sure
Did you contact the city about that and see if you can get it replaced?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:05 AM

The Brakes on a 300zx

I beg to differ, there is something wrong with your braking system, you m ight have a bubble in one of your lines and im not talking about an air bubble, you might actually have a soft part of one of your lines that when the pedal is depressed by your foot fills up with brake fluid and keeps pressure from getting to the calipers.I would first check your master cylander for leaks and while you are replacing rotors look for damage to the rubber around your caliper pistons. The next thing I would do is have a friend help you and bleed the brakes, replace the brake fluid if you haven't done that in a while too. Bleeding the Brakes on a Z isn't too hard. Even with anti-lock brakes you can get soft tires to smoke when you are under heavy braking.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Snazzy Title

I would have to agree with there is something wrong with your braking system, now ABS is not going to smoke the tires, you'll hear the actuators kick in and it'll sound friggin horrible at first it'll scare you.

These are the steps you need to take:

- replace fluid with synthetic
- bleed system
- check lines, replace with SS lines (stainless steel)
- check slave cylindler line, replace with SS line.
- replace rotors, early 90 models tend to warp. (slotted or xdrilled)
- replace pads
Old 05-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by TravBear2
Did you contact the city about that and see if you can get it replaced?
Was told it was my fault for not seeing and going around the "obstical", then my insurance said I would have to file a report of an accident that was "my fault" with the dmv for them to pay me...
Old 05-20-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
Was told it was my fault for not seeing and going around the "obstical", then my insurance said I would have to file a report of an accident that was "my fault" with the dmv for them to pay me...

BULLSHIT!!! If someone falls into an open manhole you think the city is going to get away with the same excuse? Hells no! They left it open, nobody else can open or close them without the cities' permission and if someone besides a city worker DID leave it open then it's on them.

Either way, not your fault, thier fault and your insurance company should be backing you on that one.

To the original topic though:

If you are mashing your brakes and NOT getting heart stopping braking then there is most certainly something wrong with your brakes. I have 100% original parts save for my pads in my 93 and when I jam the pedal (more often than I would care for out here in California) My tires wail without completely skidding. If I need to stop even faster I can toss the trans down into 2nd or 1st manually (depending on speed) and THAT most certainly slows her down faster.

I would say have your brakes serviced to include having the lines bled, you may just have a bubble like has been suggested.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:30 AM

Many thanks to everyone for the advice. It sounds as if I do have a problem with air in the lines or something else. This is The only car I have ever owned with ALB and I didn't know what to expect as to braking performance.

Now I have a new question:

I'm planning to replace my driveshaft with a 1-piece unit. Has anyone done this? I'm trying to decide whether to do it myself (I'll only be able to raise the car on jack stands) or pay a shop to do the work.

If it was just a matter of removing the drive shaft, it wouldn't be a big deal. But because of the way the exhaust is routed, I'll have to remove them to gain access to the drive shaft. If anyone has done this, I'd be grateful for their recommendations as to whether I should do it or pay a shop to do the work.

Thanks in advance,
Johann