300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Another Z32 Virgin

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 AM

Another Z32 Virgin

Hope i'm posting in the right place,

I recently committed to purchasing a '90 2+2 with a TT JDM motor swap, the car hasn't been started since '08 because the previous owner tells me that the engine harness needs to be changed. hopefully that is the only problem.

I'm new to the Z32(if it be called that) as well as the inner workings of cars in general, what i need help with from you guys is what should i expect from a car in its current situation as well as cost. I wish i could do some of the work myself but i think the only thing i can manage for now is prepping the few rust spots for a paint job.

The previous owner threw a body kit on it which i want to get rid of for an OEM body or at least something a little less showy, any ideas on where i can get that?

Thanks in advance to any members who were patient enough to read through this and can help.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by newtoz
I'm new to the Z32(if it be called that) as well as the inner workings of cars in general, what i need help with from you guys is what should i expect from a car in its current situation as well as cost.
Wow you are in a world of hurt. These cars are complicated, somewhat unforgiving if you screw stuff up and expensive even if you can do all the work yourself. You better have really deep pockets if you plan on paying others to fix it.

Has the car ever ran since it was changed to TT?

Last edited by xpwarrior; 06-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Pr0n Addict

unforgiving is the word for it. modifications have to be done carefully or else it's just never going to be right. we can help you out with specific questions but as far as "what am i in for", all i've got to say is "more than you know".

and putting the exterior back to stock is probably best done through ebay and twinturbo.net classified ads. new OEM parts are ***** expensive. i recommend going used since you'll have to paint them anyway.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Kasbekz, you're right. the more i read and find out about these cars the more i'm beginning to realize that i'm in for a lot of work & headache but at the same time i can't pull myself away from wanting to fix this Z up.

yeah, i browsed a bit and OEM parts are damn pricey. thanks for the info, i'll troll those sites to see what i can come up with.

as soon as the shop gets my car up and running i'll post some pics to show you guys what i'm working with.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Pr0n Addict

that's another thing... don't trust shops. nobody that has a nice z takes it to a shop unless it's specialtyz or ultimate Z or IPP or somewhere like that. if they don't specialize in z32's, they don't know how to take care of your car AT ALL. i could list all night the things that an average mechanic wouldn't know about the z32 that would cause unsatisfactory work to be done.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 PM

does anyone know of any specialty z shops in the brooklyn area?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 PM

Good luck there’s not a lot out there. I know how you feel the closet z shop to me is in Tampa and there kind of new. I do all my work myself you will learn you will learn. Love your car it’s got a mind of its own
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Tough Guy

Theres a good shop in Jersey, its about 40 minutes from brooklyn.