300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Damnit all!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Damnit all!

Ok after fighting that Z for months now. I got it all figured out. I can now start the engine with the key! (found the relay switch box thing int eh drivers side fender well near the door and jumped that) and I found the ignition issue which was the relay wasnt grounded.

But I went to ground the relay and I accidentally put it on the + side It blew the fuse but now I'm not getting any fuel and the injectors arnt firing! I checked all the fuses and relays but everything's fine sept for this one blew relay near the ECU, in the bank of 3 is the one closest to the door, it just sits there and clicks.

Ugh.... one connector on the PTU almost all the wires have + to them. And the relay trigger side for the Coils is no longer getting power. The coils fire when I jump the relay like I did before but I have no fuel and I dont even hear the fuel pump wind up.

I shorted out the ECU didnt I...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Possibly... but fuses should protect that. Can you put the ECU into self-diagnostic mode? If it'll read and flash trouble codes, it likely isn't blown...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Possibly... but fuses should protect that. Can you put the ECU into self-diagnostic mode? If it'll read and flash trouble codes, it likely isn't blown...
uh... How do I go about doing that heh
Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

... you search a bit...

http://ttzd.com/tech/diagnostic/diagnostic.html

No wonder you had so much trouble with the car... you didn't know how to use twinturbo.net.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I never goto TT.net Cuz well I dont have a Z32 to start with and I dont really think much about it...

it would just be nice if I could find the FSM that still had its wiring diagram in once piece!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok it pulled up a code 55 3 times. So its fine for now. But I rechecked everything.

Spark plugs getting + (when I bypass the relay) GRound, and signal.
Injectors are properly grounded and getting signal (I can smell the fuel now) But it just wont start!

Both those green relays in the box inside the engine bay have no ground, and only the constant +... No + signal, No ground, but when I bypass it the coils get power. so now somethings not even trying to rigger the relays (both green ones are the same way) This is confusing, can someone upload a wiring diagram? And dont tell me to go get the FSM from the xenon site as the stupid thing is corrupt....
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Pr0n Addict

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...or-pinout.html

http://www.ttxtz.com/tech/lee/

yep. tt.net rocks for all your z32 needs. after you swim through the piles of drama
Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

THANK YOU!!

Now I can FINALLY make head and tails of the wiring! I didnt know there was fuseable links on the z32 >.>
Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok found out, the fuseable link was bad (it looks fine but I ohm tested it and it failed) And the ECU signal wire for the relay... WAS CUT OFF!!! SO I just ran a switch in the dash now you have to flick that to be able to start the car. Other then that. The car runs just fine now.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

... sounds like you're doing a lot of hack work on this car. lol I know it was brought to you with a lot done, but adding switches rather than repairing cut wires to relays isn't helping.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
... sounds like you're doing a lot of hack work on this car. lol I know it was brought to you with a lot done, but adding switches rather than repairing cut wires to relays isn't helping.
I undid most of that too! They wouldnt get a new harness so I had to make do with what I had... Oh well it runs now lol