300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Yay, a bunch of moronic statements I can tear into...

Originally Posted by hoov100
lol, $5k to do a VH swap? more around the tune of $1500, if you know what your doing, you are also forgetting the initial hit of buying a TT, then doing a timing belt job, injector replacement, if it hasnt already been done, fixing the HICAS, or deleting it, we can assume the turbo's would need replaced, so theres another $500, ontop of whatever else goes wrong with it while its out. BAM! theirs probably $2k dollars right there, if you do it yourself, along with the $7k car.
LMFAO. Please try to put a VH45 into a Z32 for $1500. It won't happen.

I bought each of my TT's for $5k. Neither of them needed turbo work, timing belt work, injectors, etc. Each had about 125k miles.

Also tell me how a VH45 swapped Z32TT would be any different than a regular Z32TT regarding HICAS? And if you're talking VH45 swapped NA vs natural TT, I'd also like to point out that, in 8 years in the Z32 world (and I'm going to say it, working at Ultimate Z), I've seen a whopping 2 broken HICAS systems. The people who eliminate it do it by personal choice, not to fix it... it's usually not broken.

the VH has been proven to make 450 reliable WHP on the stock long block and stock EFI. a stand alone EFI system can range from a $500 megasquirt system to a $2k dollar wolf system, to a $400 nistune piggy back controller. big woopdie ****in do, you could build the VH for cheaper and reach a higher overall power level, while making it at a reasonable RPM AND daily drive it.
Ooooohhh... 450rwhp. The stock VG30DETT can do it all day long. Stock VG30DETT's have done over 700rwhp. You're not going to sell this motor on power capability... compared to the VG30DETT, it doesn't make any worth bragging about.

I have seen TWO z32TT's making over 600WHP while being daily driven, I have seen one full out drag car z32 running high 7's. I have heard of one person running high 9's daily driving his car and I have yet to see proof of even that! So show me, you say its been done, blah blah blah, show me, I dont wanna see some POS dyno queen either. Theirs more then just making the power with these cars, especially when your looking at a two engines, that can be built to the same level, but one costing considerably less.
Go read my last post. Greg Dupree daily drives his 9-second TT. Dr. Dean Delvy daily drives his 10.6 second TT. Sebastian (not sure of his last name, but he works at Specialty Z) also daily drives a 10-second TT. There are many people with reliable, big-horsepower TTs.

Personally, I dont give a **** about you, your pursitic idea's, or your opinion, but when you start talking **** about an engine you have obliviously no idea about, you give me a reason to bitch.
Funny, because I don't recall you ever being useful on this site.

I'm not going to continue on with some little bitch who, probably has never lived life, who sits behind a desk all day, thinking that he's cool, that he should be respected, because of his "knowledge of the vg30dett on here and TT.net"
I've probably experienced more and achieved more in my life to date than you will in your entire lifespan. But that's irrelevant.

If it was such a good and powerfull motor, then why did nissan discontinue it?
Is this SERIOUSLY an argument? Are you kidding me? This was the sole comment that made me decide you respond to your retarded tirade. Because there has never been a good engine that was discontinued? The old 350's and 351's from the 60's and 70's were never good engines? The 2JZGTE wasn't a good engine? Ron White said it best... "next time you have a thought... let it go."

why are people swapping in other motors, in place of the vgTT? why do they break down so much? If nissan engineered the engine properly, We wouldnt have to pull the engines to replace the turbo's, If they engineered it properly, it wouldnt be built on 1980's technology and apparently reliability. If nissan put any thought into that motor, they would have left it as a concept.
People who have broken Z32s are the same people who bought cheap Z32s that weren't well maintained. And it's ok, because not all of us can afford what good condition TTs sell for. If you pay the proper price for a good condition TT, they don't break down all that often. Ask people like Bernie Bilski or my friends Ryan, Andy, or Gary, all who have immaculate modded TTs that are almost always running. Any car that isn't well maintained will break. Your argument is completely and utterly null. And as for the difficulty of working on it... that is a bullshit statements just like the rest. The car was designed to compete with Porsches... go look into what it takes to repair some of the things on those cars. Same with any car laced with the technology that the Z32 has.

You argue poorly, to say the least. Think before you speak... and read my signature. Let it sink in.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 09-21-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Just my 2 cents. Nearly every Z32 VG engine seems to have major problems.... But idk Ive only seen 3 Z32s One of which had to get a brand new engine at only 150K miles.
don't blame the car for retarded owners. people like to drive them hard. it's certain that vgs that wear out at this point have been abused, and any other engine in that position would have worn out the same way.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Good point.

FYI Im not saying yay or Nay on a 300ZX and its engine. V6 isnt my style to start with. actually most V engines arnt my style anymore

EDIT: Ok what would make the power steering feel like its turning on and off constantly? Like its easy to turn then all the sudden its hard to turn then back to easy

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 09-21-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Ruff Ryder

^^ sounds like someone needs to bleed there power steering system.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

huh didnt think of that
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Pr0n Addict

is it a z32? could also be caused by using power steering fluid. that stuff kills. ATF only.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life

q45's can be bought down here for around $5-900 with reasonably low miles, sell the car afterwards make a majority if not all of it back. adapter plate is around $300, assume about $50 for raw metal for mounts, assume you already have the trans, then $3-400 for the clutch setup.

I bought each of my TT's for $5k. Neither of them needed turbo work, timing belt work, injectors, etc. Each had about 125k miles.

then the market must be different between socal and chicago.

Also tell me how a VH45 swapped Z32TT would be any different than a regular Z32TT regarding HICAS? And if you're talking VH45 swapped NA vs natural TT, I'd also like to point out that, in 8 years in the Z32 world (and I'm going to say it, working at Ultimate Z), I've seen a whopping 2 broken HICAS systems. The people who eliminate it do it by personal choice, not to fix it... it's usually not broken.

I never said I was going to swap it into a z31TT chassis, also broken is different then worn out, sloppy tie rods, leaking lines, or because it would be one less thing to worry about.

Ooooohhh... 450rwhp. The stock VG30DETT can do it all day long. Stock VG30DETT's have done over 700rwhp. You're not going to sell this motor on power capability... compared to the VG30DETT, it doesn't make any worth bragging about.

you missed where i said the stock fuel system as well. the limits of the VH havent been tested in the US yet, but people in australia and NZ have been using these as race motors, pretty much since they came out to give an idea. (but i take it you have never researched this motor)

Go read my last post. Greg Dupree daily drives his 9-second TT. Dr. Dean Delvy daily drives his 10.6 second TT. Sebastian (not sure of his last name, but he works at Specialty Z) also daily drives a 10-second TT. There are many people with reliable, big-horsepower TTs.

how reliable is reliable in your eyes? I meant something that all i would have to do is change the oil and put gas in it and drive it around the country type reliable.

And i dont recall you doing anything other then spouting "the VG is the best **** the rest!"

I've probably experienced more and achieved more in my life to date than you will in your entire lifespan. But that's irrelevant.

I kinda doubt that, working at a shop and going to college doesnt really hit that big in the life experience department, but if you joined the army or something that would be different.

Is this SERIOUSLY an argument? Are you kidding me? This was the sole comment that made me decide you respond to your retarded tirade. Because there has never been a good engine that was discontinued? The old 350's and 351's from the 60's and 70's were never good engines? The 2JZGTE wasn't a good engine? Ron White said it best... "next time you have a thought... let it go."

the 350 is still manufactured to this day, thats close to 50 years of (a successful) run time, Dont know/care much about fords. And from what I have seen the 2jz's have head gasket issues and i still lol to this day at the 1200WHP 11 second supra.

People who have broken Z32s are the same people who bought cheap Z32s that weren't well maintained. And it's ok, because not all of us can afford what good condition TTs sell for. If you pay the proper price for a good condition TT, they don't break down all that often. Ask people like Bernie Bilski or my friends Ryan, Andy, or Gary, all who have immaculate modded TTs that are almost always running. Any car that isn't well maintained will break. Your argument is completely and utterly null. And as for the difficulty of working on it... that is a bullshit statements just like the rest. The car was designed to compete with Porsches... go look into what it takes to repair some of the things on those cars. Same with any car laced with the technology that the Z32 has.

the problem with a properly maintained TT is that they are fairly far in between and are usually in upwards of $6k of course a well maintained car is going to be reliable, but I have seen alot of well maintained z32's have serious issues down the road (almost always injectors and coil packs) I still will never agree, pulling a plenum to change the injectors and the absolute bullshit dealt with when changing a timing belt is just rediculous. If i had the money for a porsche, then i could obviously afford someone to work on it.

You argue poorly, to say the least. Think before you speak... and read my signature. Let it sink in.
why? I'm not pretending to know anything. If i did I would be driving a honda or 240sx.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
is it a z32? could also be caused by using power steering fluid. that stuff kills. ATF only.
Im sure I posted in the Z32 section... And it has ATF I can tell by the color and smell.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Ruff Ryder

Im sure I posted in the Z32 section... And it has ATF I can tell by the color and smell.
tell me blue, what does ATF smell like?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

It smells ****ing awful... Other then that it smells like ATF
Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok Im not going to reused EXHAUST piping for intercooling piping. Can I get a few tips on where and how to mount a front mount intercooler and what kinda kit to get for the piping?

And will an auto trans oil cooler work for an engine oil cooler? The lines are the same size.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Ruff Ryder

just get bigger side mounts, you could try google for the IC pipes, the TT comes factory with a decent sized oil cooler already, but i wouldnt worry about it, unless he wants to run it hard for long periods of time.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

just get bigger side mounts, you could try google for the IC pipes, the TT comes factory with a decent sized oil cooler already, but i wouldnt worry about it, unless he wants to run it hard for long periods of time.
This Z was a N/A to TT swap. They never installed the oil cooler and bypassed it. it also never had the sidemount intercoolers. just a poorly front mounted intercooler.

2+2 N/A With Auto to a TT with Auto then to a TT with a 5 speed. And Im stuck with fixing all the ****ups this Z has had in its poorly done N/A to TT swap and installing a 5 Speed.

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 09-22-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 AM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life

Name:  aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2-1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 09-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Ruff Ryder

This Z was a N/A to TT swap. They never installed the oil cooler and bypassed it. it also never had the sidemount intercoolers. just a poorly front mounted intercooler.

2+2 N/A With Auto to a TT with Auto then to a TT with a 5 speed. And Im stuck with fixing all the ****ups this Z has had in its poorly done N/A to TT swap and installing a 5 Speed.

go to ebay!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

go to ebay!
To sell the car! Great idea! lol
Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Skib you forgot one...

Name:  Internet_argument.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  35.4 KB
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
F5 Hero

I was speaking strictly using the floor jack on the trans only, I have used trans jacks before (still sitting in my shed) and they just make it more work then it needs to be, with a floor jack under the pan, you get it in there, get it close and man handle it in, simple as that IMHO.
what pan are you speaking of? the only pan down there i know of is the oil pan....

and my transmission jack made it pretty simple... I jacked it up, and then rolled the jack forward and stabbed it.... and i didn't have to worry about balancing it on a floor jack....

It's a transmission jack, that's what it's designed to do...
Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Ruff Ryder

there are two pans, one for the trans and one for the motor. To each his own on weather to use a trans jack or floor jack.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

there are two pans, one for the trans and one for the motor. To each his own on weather to use a trans jack or floor jack.
Manual Trans don't have a pan at all. and Im working on Z with a 5 speed manual in it
Old 09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Ruff Ryder

Manual Trans don't have a pan at all. and Im working on Z with a 5 speed manual in it
You could of told me that, when you said "can i use the automatic trans cooler and an oil cooler, I was assuming this car was an automatic.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

You could of told me that, when you said "can i use the automatic trans cooler and an oil cooler, I was assuming this car was an automatic.
And to this I quote

And will an auto trans oil cooler work for an engine oil cooler? The lines are the same size.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok this is annoying. The little servos that control the vacuum to the waste gate actuators isn't hooked up and it looks like the bakas that did this engine swap just used the N/A harness... What should I do?

Also the knock sensor wire has been damaged and I cant get to the stupid clip to take it off, is there a way to just simply bypass it? I'm getting really sick of the car and just want to get it done
Old 09-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Bypass the wastegate actuators - saves you from having to deal with safety boost. These are removed/bypassed during boost controller installations anyway.

Get a TT harness. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

Of course there are ways to bypass the detonation sensor... just ground it out. There's also the resistor mod (search... I think it involves a 1k ohm resistor on one of the wires).
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well I'll install that manual boost controller then.

Cant get a TT harness really I'll ask if he will tho

And I'll look into it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: engine removal