300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

engine swap done now miss fire help me guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM

engine swap done now miss fire help me guys

Hi everyone.ok i'm new to this whole tread thing so don't judge me if i make any mistakes.anyways i have

a jdm 1990 z32 tt that i traded with my 240 shell to shell.

now i bought a used engine from jdm importers

had about 80,000km and dropped it in.then try start it it wouldn't checked for spark no spark well i

checked all the connection it was a bad ptu connectors.and cas connectors were bad as well i cleaned

them up now i have spark in all cylinders the car starts just fine.but it idles real rough almost wants to
die

i don't notice the misfire at high rpm even when driving it pulls hard and no check engine light on.so

this are the things i have checked so far cas , ignition timing ptu, tps,injectors, fuel filter,coil,wiring

harness,spark plugs,vacuum leak,ect... don't know what ealse to look for i wanted to get this car for a

long time as long as i rember.i just think they are the best looking cars ever built i love my car to death
even if its sitting in the shop i work at.

hell i even named her karmina she just beautiful but now i'm at the

point were i'm about to sell her and go back to my 240 man i put so much labor in to this car it's not even
funny.
so pleas guys hell i don't know were to look now. and yea by the way i got the jdm source to do

the timing belt and water pump b4 they sold me the engine so i'm thinking maybe they got timing wrong??

other thing is when ever i cold start the car there is one valve tapping until it worms up and oil pressure

is normal then you don't hear it no more.

Last edited by smurffz32; 09-13-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Cap

PLEASE.. Find a Comma or Period or two.. I'm a Dotter.. ( .... ) rather than a period guy..

And put stuff on a different line now and then.. makes it simplier for me to follow..

You'll get the hang of it..

WELCOME.. good job on stuffing the motor in.. YES it's a lot of work.. I'm still trying to stuff in a Rebuild that I did a year ago..

Please do a compression Check.. post the numbers..
Do a Cylinder Ballance test to see if you have a 'Thin' cylinder..

What ECU are you running?.. Does your car have the 'Aiv's' ( Air tubes for the Cats).. and does the ECU expect to see AIV's, as the ECU needs to be programmed for AIV's or not.. it makes a difference only at Idle.. where you are having troubles..

and yes.. they are nice cars.. mine is NA.. If I ever get it back on the road.. I miss it..

Cap
Old 09-13-2012, 10:06 AM

hey thx for the quick replay...
i will get better at this eventually lol..i will check the ecu and for the cat i'm not too sure

if it has the aiv's well i don't even know what that is lol.i'm more focused on the cam angle

sensor now scince thats the only thing i replaced when i did the swap maybe it's timing is
off.i used a timing light and try to set it but noooo cause my idle is not stable it's not gonna happen...

and good luck with yours man one thing i messed up on is i should have go a new harness b4 putting the engine in/.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM

oh yea it jerks when accelerating by the way
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 AM

missfire cannot find problem!!!!

i am so mad i cannot get my Z running i bought a 1990 300zx TT 67,000 original miles it was incorrectly stored for 13 yrs i couldn't get it running right! and i did not shot gun it with parts i used a blunder bus i have seriously replaced anything and everything i think pertains to the problems i am having i have new turbos new manifolds new nismo injectors new 300 degree fuel rails new efi harness new ptu new ecu new kevlar timing belt new water pump vtc springs new plugs new split fire coils new cas new maf and thats just to start off with car still is only running on 4 cylinders the car will idle thats it if you touch the gas at all it dies i have retimed it 25 times!! i got so mad i gave up on this engine!! i went and bought a jdm engine with 47,000 miles with a ecu and trans i have a total of 3 ptu's 3 cas's 18 coils 3 ecu's 2 ecu's have been upgraded by Z1 i am at my whits end with this car i have dumped thousands!! middle cylinder on pass side ?#3? and rear cylinder on drivers side ?#6? some one please have an idea of what to do ?? i have no signal to the passenger side middle cylinder ignition coil!!!!!!! and i have a missfire on the rear drivers cylinder i do how ever have spark at that cylinder! this is how i am stumped after 18 coils 3 ptu's 3 ecu's 3 cas's 2 different engines! how the heck do i have the exact same problem with all these components!!!!!!!!!!!!! you would have thought something would have differed!!! i really dont want to pull this engine for the 8th time!!! i have bought even more parts but i am only listing what i believe pertains to my issue! SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! I WILL SERIOUSLY PAY SOMEONE TO HELP ME RESOLVE THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE