300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Lazurus is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Doesn't post much...

Lazurus is Dead!

So instead of spending all weekend doing the water pump and timing belt on "Lazurus", I spent the whole weekend just trying to start the car so I could move it from it's current location. I am stumped. It started and drove over here no problem. I parked it where it's at and that's where it will stay until I figure out what the Hell happened. We had issues getting past the security systems the night I got it, but once we got the aftermarket one into "Valet" mode it started right up. Well, the battery was toast (we had to also jump it that night). I put a new battery in it and now... No spark. I tried to remove the factory security system yesterday. I'm still not sure exactly how. I found a hundred references on here about it but none more descriptive than "2 screws, 2 harnesses and you're done". WTF? First of all, there's only one harness on the security module itself. I wound up just putting it back the way I found it. The aftermarket alarm is in Valet mode. It cranks, you can smell raw fuel... but no spark. I ran the ECU diagnostics to make sure I didn't fry it and it comes back clean. I thought maybe something like the crank angle sensor got wet on the drive home or subsequent spraying of coolant/water from the top of the radiator when I got it home. I took off all the harnesses in that area of the motor and cleaned/dried them. It didn't make any difference. The aftermarket alarm box has two wires spliced into the factory alarm module harness so it appears that they are in cahoots with each other. I just don't know which one of them is the culprit if either. I don't want to thinks it's mechanical becuase that would be incredibly random. I don't know where else to look. I put all this same info on 3ZC and got no response at all. I'm totally in the dark here. Until I figure out the no start, it's going to stay right where it is. ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Rod.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:40 PM

It honestly doesnt sound like its the stock security system... when my factory alarm system is on and I turn the key nothing happens except the alarm starts screaming... I had the symptoms you are discribing and it turned out to be corrision in the connector on my TPU harness keeping the coils from getting anything...(which happened seemingly randomly as I was driving down the road.. just died on me )

Last edited by Aphrodite; 01-29-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Doesn't post much...

Yeah, it's weird. Like I said though... I pulled all the connectors and cleaned them up and dried them out, at least the ones I could see and get to. Without a book and with no real VG30DE experience though, I am flying blind. TPU? Donde Esta es el TPU? I'm tellin' ya... I don't know squat about this car yet. If it were my S130 I would have figured it out and been done with it sometime yesterday. ... ... ... ... ... Rod.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM

eh... somebody should slap me... I meant PTU... mabye i'll have to come by some day when I have free time and bring my FSM and we can learn together
Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 PM

hey Rod..when i had my brothers TT here with me...hes alpine alarm was screwed up because i disconected the battery...that put the alarm in lockout mode and would not give me any power to start the car...it would crank but nothing would work (instumental lights, windows etc)...me and a friend were screwing around with the alarm and there was a circuit board we pulled out (must have been the lockout circuit) and the car started and ran fine....just a tought..
Old 01-29-2006, 08:54 PM
confuzed member

if there's no spark....there's a possibility it could be the PTU...you most likeyl have the recalled unit...silver with a big heat sink on it.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Doesn't post much...

OK, forgive my ignorance here but exactly what is the PTU and where is it? Sorry I'm so lame Rod.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:49 AM

Um...have you run your codes at all yet? It is a very easy procedure that can save you a lot of mystery.You should really do that before making any assumptions at all.

And the PTU connections can be simply cleaned with some lime away or a good fine grit sandpaper and put back on in most cases. But if you have the old style PTU and it was part of the recall then go to the dealer and it is free.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:10 AM

the PTU is the Power Transistor Unit, its what tells the coils to sparky sparky (I think, or mabye just passes on the signal), This Shows where it is, and This Shows what it should be for a continuity check

Actually mine wasnt quite in that spot but thats because it was replaced by a previous owner with a Mitsubishi PTU :|

EDIT: Woot 100th post

Last edited by Aphrodite; 01-30-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Doesn't post much...

I ran the ECU codes right away to make sure I didn't fry it. The ECU is good (Code 55). I am leaning away from it being the security system now though. What you guys are saying makes sense. I still don't know what or where the PTU is though . I guess I can do another search... Rod. . . EDIT: Thanks dude! While I was typing, you were posting the info I needed!!! Awesome!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 AM

The PTU is located on the left timing cover on the front of the engine when looking at it from the front of the car. The CAS is on the right.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Doesn't post much...

Yup, That's the very first thing that I unplugged and cleaned up. I figured if anything got wet... That was it. Maybe it just got fried. I'll do a continuity check next. ... ... ... Rod.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:45 AM

try this link and see if there is anything that helps. Personally I think your CAS is the source but try a search through the link.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...47362&t=247362
Old 01-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Doesn't post much...

CAS was my first thought beyond the security system. It may be the culprit. I have a buddy in the parts department at the local Nissan stealership... I'm going to call him regarding the PTU issue. If I can get a new one for free then I'll replace it wether I need it now or not. I need to go back out and check the CAS. It's just so weird that the thing started and drove over here no problem and now it's dead. The randomness of the PTU or CAS going south on me like that would be pretty bizarre but nothing is beyond the realm of possibility. You guys are a big help though. Nobody on 3ZC had any input at all... Lame. I'll keep you all posted. and hey Aphroditie... We'll be doing some more meets soon. If you rememeber the guy that was there and being an idiot last time you came up... Well, I made sure he doesn't come around anymore. Everyone else is much cooler. We have a lot more cars now, including a HOT chick with a Z31T! ... ... Rod.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 AM

When I had that problem, I just started at the coils and worked my way back down the wiring scraping off any corrosion I found on the connectors until I found the really green one right before the TPU, which fixed my problem after cleaning. or if its a wire problem and you have an internal break it could explain why it would of suddenly stopped working... thats a pain to wring out a harness for a wire break though... but if you run out of ideas I guess you could always ohm out each wire while shaking it to see if it has an internal break. although an internal break on a wire doesnt make much sense... seeing as there are multiple paths, one for each coil... sorry gettin carried away paper troubleshootin , I would think its either a connector, or the tpu, and doesnt the cas give an error code of like 11 or something?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Doesn't post much...

I'm pretty sure that in order for the CAS to throw a code that the car has to be running when the CAS goes out... I could be wrong though. On many other cars, that is the case. So it may indeed be the CAS.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 AM
confuzed member

hey when's the next meet....it'd be fun to try to make it out one of these days. This semester isn't as busy as the last one...yet...but my job starts on Thurs....so that should change things some.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Doesn't post much...

The next meet... When I get this damned Z32 running! I am determined to drive this car to the next meet. So far today... No luck but still digging. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Rod.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
The next meet... When I get this damned Z32 running! I am determined to drive this car to the next meet. So far today... No luck but still digging. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Rod.
shoot me a PM and let me know when the next meet is gonna be...from what it sounds like....it's gonna be a while...jk.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:42 PM

alarms

late entry, but i can tell you this as an alarm installer. Aftermarket alarms do not effect any part of the ignition circuit accept the starter wire. All we do is cut the ONE wire that goes to the starter from the KEY and insert a relay. If the car can turn turn over....it has NOTHING to do with security (factory or aftermarket)
Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Doesn't post much...

I have a little experience with this stuff myself. That may be true of most aftermarket alarms but it is definitely not always the case. The alarm in my 280ZX kills EVERYTHING. It depends on how much you want to spend and how intense you want it to be. After my 280ZX got stolen I made sure it would happen again without the use of either a flat bed truck or a helicopter. Aside from the typical starter kill, it has a fuel pump shut off and ignition kill. You could try and bump start it if you manage to get into it and unlock ther steering wheel, but you won't get far with no fuel and no spark. . Now, I may be wrong on this, but it is my undeerstanding that the factory system in this car disables ignition power i.e. spark. So if that's the case, it will crank and not turn. By the way, I ran my VIN at the Nissan dealership and they said there are no outstanding recalls (So it appears the PTU has already been swapped). .................................................. ...............................................Rod .
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Doesn't post much...

Sorry, DOUBLE POST Something I thought of yesterday. The actual ignition tumbler is totally worn out to the point where the key will literally fall out... I know that on the 280ZX problems with the ignition switch lead to a multitude of problems. Anybody think there's any chance that it could be the problem? I have a spare 280 switch but I doubt it will fit or wire in the same... Rod.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM
confuzed member

The recall on the PTU is only to relocate it from teh front of the timing cover to near the intake. They will not replace it with the updated version. Is your PTU located where was shown in the pics? If so...is it silver with a big heat sink on it or is it black and grey? The one with the heatsink is the old one that is prone to failure. You can relocate it your self.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Doesn't post much...

It's black and grey and located right under the passenger side TB. Looks like I got the new one... Rod.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Loves Going Topless

Hey Rod, missed your post at 3zcom. I had a problem with my vert after they put in the clifford. It killed everything and I couldn't find the override switch. it was loose mounted and had fallen behind the kick panel with the control box. Any chance you have a push button override in the system somewhere.
This is off the wall, but I had to have a new wiring set and ignition switch put in my 2000 p/u yesterday. The security system would activate while driving and mess up the system. Not enough to kill it while running, but several times lately it wouldn't start and just crank over, when it did that you could smell the fuel.
What about pulling out the aftermarket security relay and putting it back to normal or bypass it.
Just some thoughts.