300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

looking to buy a 300zx, any issues to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM

looking to buy a 300zx, any issues to look for?

Hey

I am looking to buy my first car and a 300ZX is a good car for its price. The only thing that is causing second thoughts is that it isnt particularely an "every day" car, so is it expensive for regular maintenance like oil changes or tune ups? or if there is any specific issues any parts. ill be living paycheck to paycheck on this car, an expensive replacement will not particularely be easy.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Let me put it to you this way... when an injector goes, expect to spend over $1200 to replace all 6 (unless you dish out a LOT more money to get a 94+ to begin with). If you get a Twin Turbo and a turbo dies, it will be about $2000 in labor alone, not including $2000 for new turbos (or up to $1000 to rebuild the stock ones) or any other parts that'll need to be replaced in the process.

Basic tune-up stuff isn't hard, but it's the parts that wear out on every car after over a decade that will become expensive. It doesn't have any problems that any other 12-19 year old car wouldn't have, but this car is FAR more difficult to work on than your average car, and the parts are not cheap.

So if you'll be living paycheck to paycheck, the Z32 isn't for you right now.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 06-21-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:26 AM

So if you'll be living paycheck to paycheck, the Z32 isn't for you right now.[/QUOTE]

agreed, you should buy dsm. pretty cheap..TURBO.. go fast....
i'm doing turbo upgrade and tranny swap, just got quote from two z shop. one is asking $3300 and the other is $3500 for labor. these price doesn't even include for tranny swap. they said they will have to do a search first because they never done this before.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered Drifter

My 2cents:

I'm 19 I just bought a 96 300ZX TT about a month ago. Luckily I have two other cars.

I dont know how old you are but I assume under 21 being your first car and all. Also since you didnt state I'm not sure if your buying a TT or an N/A. Either way as stated before these cars will be expensive to work on. The previous owner told me the 60,000Mile Maintenence cost $3000 (mind you this is was timing belt, fluids, oil, plugs, the works.) Other than that though if no parts go out these are the same price to maintain as any other turbo car (Premium Fuel, Regular oil changes with synthetic oil, etc) Even if it's N/A I'd reccomend Premium Gas, and Synthetic Oil (It's easy and Cheap Insurance, though with gas prices not so cheap anymore)

Questions:

1) Do you have another car you can use if something goes wrong? (Whatever you've been driving Example: Parents car)

2) What year, mileage, condition, how many owners, any record of maintainence?

3) Are there any current problems with the vehicle?

Tim
Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Well, im just looking into the idea of a 300zx. I can do all minor-middle repairs in my shop class at school. i dont know much about the 300ZX specifically, so i dont know what the difference is between an N/A and a TT.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/726104888.html

that car intrigued me, its right hand drive whoch i dont really care about. but its a non-turbo so there is no problems with turbo replacements and repairs (i knew to look for that one). The average price for a 300ZX is affordable for me (no more than 8,500) so i decided i needed a little more research into the car
Old 06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Non-turbos are more reliable and cheaper on repairs than TT's, so if you're dead-set on getting a sports car as your first car, the non-turbo is a better choice.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Plathore
i dont know much about the 300ZX specifically, so i dont know what the difference is between an N/A and a TT.

its right hand drive whoch i dont really care about. but its a non-turbo so there is no problems with turbo replacements and repairs (i knew to look for that one). The average price for a 300ZX is affordable for me (no more than 8,500) so i decided i needed a little more research into the car
the difference is in your question. non turbo and twin turbo.

RHD is nice though. i used to drive RHD where i came from. 2+2 non turbo. 2+2 is handle better than 2 seater IMO but being NA these cars are pig when it comes to weigh. if you want fast sport car, consider buying TT from the start. i don't want you to regret after owning NA. like myself, i'm regretting to had bought auto trans TT but it's really depend on you. my opinion is either look for TT or buy another turbo car if you concern about costs of repair. DSM turbo is pretty cheap thogh. you can consider Z is affordable compare to Supra TT or RX7 but the parts are very expensive than those cars and labor as well since they are easy to work on.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by FLABZXTT
if you want fast sport car, consider buying TT from the start.
It's his first car... there is a HIGH probability that he would wreck a Twin Turbo. At least a street-driven NA won't accelerate to 60 in under 5 seconds and run faster than 15 second in the quarter no matter how many mods you do to it. (And Plathore, please don't chime in saying "I'm more mature than other kids my age" because every kid says that.)
Old 06-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Im a racer. im not going to be out betting money on street races, but lets just say that there will be a tome or two where i look over to the guy beside me and "spin the tires"
Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 PM

you guys have been a big help. i now realise that the 300 ZX is not a car for me. i am going to play out the option of getting a VW Scirocco instead, bit cheaper but still a bit of a show car.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Drifter

Anything goes out arnt parts going to be expensive?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Probably not as expensive as Z32 parts...
Old 06-22-2008, 01:43 AM

what is it that you do Muffinman

at age 19 that allows you to afford 3 cars, 1 being a twin turbo z? I must have done something 1/2 *** in school or moved out too early from home.... At 19 I was living paycheck to paycheck trying to get through college and pay rent driving a 4th hand 79 280zx
Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 AM

expect to buy adjustable tension rods and adjustable camber kit... this is a must for the 300zx... i also found out the stock rotors are not very good for stoping in the rain. upgrade to drill sloted rotors im useing brembo rotors...
Old 06-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Drifter

Originally Posted by Goofyz
at age 19 that allows you to afford 3 cars, 1 being a twin turbo z? I must have done something 1/2 *** in school or moved out too early from home.... At 19 I was living paycheck to paycheck trying to get through college and pay rent driving a 4th hand 79 280zx
Thats a question even my friends ask me!!! Funny to hear it from someone on a forum. Here's my story. Started off with 84' Mazda 626. Senior year in High School I sold the Mazda for $500 and bought a 95' Integra LS for $3800. I was working @ Pizza Place @ the time and lived @ home. Moved on up to Jiffy Lube and moved out (2 other roomates and my GF). Then I got a job @ Carmax (used car dealership, I'm sure you've heard of them) Here I'm able to buy wholesale cars that we cant sell on the lot and would go to auction. Last year My older brother was in need of a car to go to school (long situation to explain) So I picked up an 87' Supra N/A 5spd "wholesale" for $1700 while he drove my Integra. Oh I forgot my grandfather gave me his 65' Mustang GT (Coupe, Auto) for christmas 2 years ago. (dont be jealous it didn't run and is primered) So right now thats 3: Mustang, Supra, Integra. Last month while wandering through the wholesale cars I spotted the Z. I dropped what was in my hands (literally) and ran full speed to check her out. Manual, TT, 86K miles, needless to say I was sold! Had to get a loan for her and picked her up the very next day!!! Technically 4 cars for now. Jut last week I sold the Integra to my GF's brother. Now I'm back @ 3 cars. Insurance is only $100 a month for full coverage Z, and liability on the Stang and Supra. The mustang runs now but needs work, once she's daily drivable she'll be fully covered (only 300 more a year!!!!)

There it is, I make $10.60 and hour (minimum wage is $8.00 I believe) I work 40 hours a week with very limited overtime. The payments on the Z don't start til August but they're only $170month (I will be paying atleast $300 though to pay it off in less the 5 years!!)

edit- I go to School for an automotve degree I take only 1-2 classes a semester (I'm in no real rush plus I need to work fulltime!)
also funny thing is I dont manage my money very well at all!!! I eat out to much (what kid who lives on his own and goes to college doesnt) I could save hundreds each month and live semi-comfortably but I always find a way to spend my money. First thing I did after getng the Z was order test pipes, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, and since the Bose system is going out I just dropped $1000 on a all new stereo system (I like my music). and while Im going to have the center console out I ordered a short shifter and a nismo shift ****!

Tim

-Any more questions?? Glad to answer em!

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 06-22-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25
Anything goes out arnt parts going to be expensive?
since Z32 come with dual catbacks, cats, downpipes, manifolds, two intercoolers, dual fuel pumps etc.. from the factory. let's say you want to buy BOV for z32, you have to buy 2 BOVs instead of one. that will cost you double. i think supra tt in stock form, come with only one side mount intercooler. since they are in-line 6 you can put really big *** turbo in there instead of twin set up like Z. so, most of the time any mods you do, you have to do double. that's the reason Z32 parts are more expensive than the most.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

since Z32 come with dual catbacks, cats, downpipes, manifolds, two intercoolers, dual fuel pumps etc.. from the factory. let's say you want to buy BOV for z32, you have to buy 2 BOVs instead of one. that will cost you double. i think supra tt in stock form, come with only one side mount intercooler. since they are in-line 6 you can put really big *** turbo in there instead of twin set up like Z. so, most of the time any mods you do, you have to do double. that's the reason Z32 parts are more expensive than the most.
Nissan parts are also naturally more expensive than Honda, Chevy, Ford, etc parts... so the expensive is compounded between the two facts.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Nissan parts are also naturally more expensive than Honda, Chevy, Ford, etc parts... so the expensive is compounded between the two facts.
agreed, nissan oem parts are most expensive but i'm talking about mod parts according to the post The_MuffinMan25 thinks all the mod parts are expensive not just Z. i just want to point out the part that mods for Z cost more since you have to do double unlike other cars Honda, Chevy etc...
Old 06-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered Drifter

agreed, nissan oem parts are most expensive but i'm talking about mod parts according to the post The_MuffinMan25 thinks all the mod parts are expensive not just Z. i just want to point out the part that mods for Z cost more since you have to do double unlike other cars Honda, Chevy etc...
I was refering to the VW Scirocco a much rarer car to find then a 300ZX and generally German Export products for cars are expensive (parts). Yes Flabzxtt I agree with you modding our cars is aleast twice the price for the most part. (dual everything) He would be better off with a cheaper car to upkeep and mod.

Tim
Old 06-22-2008, 04:16 PM

VW Scirocco whether it rarer to find or not i'll stick with JDM. if someone wants to mod their cars, JDMs are way to go. i won't touch european cars unless i can effort Porches 911 or Ferrari and leave it stock. I once considered to purchase Lotus Esprit. they aren't that expensive but i figured since they're exotic, parts are very limited to mod and run $$$$$.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Drifter

I like JDM and American cars myself.