300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Question about headlight lense

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 02:41 PM

Question about headlight lense

Quick question for you gurus out there.
After playing chicken with a herd of cattle, I was left with a lot of things to fix, one of which is my driver side headlight, however the only thing that was affected was the lense that encloses it. Does anyone know if that can be obtained by itself and then sealed in, or does the whole assemply have to be replaced? In any case, can anyone offer any suggestions on locations that might be in the market of selling such?
I really appreciate any feed back on this, and believe me look forward to a few more threads from me, as the rebuilding of this will be quite interesting.
Thanks again,
Marty
m_curlett@yahoo.com
Old 12-15-2004, 02:56 PM

Here's one up for grabs.Drivers Headlight

Last edited by Rogue93TT; 12-15-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Dan's the Man

Chico (cool, that's my nickname...don't ask)
I know I probably shouldn't ask or am at least afraid to...BUT....please describe "playing chicken with a herd of cattle". And with a Z???????? :doh:
Yes the lens can be purchased on it's own. Replaced on the current housing and sealed in.
To do that, it would be cheapest to find one at a scrap yard or you can check with www.z1motorsports.com. They have a decend grave yard they use to supply used parts.

Welcome to the board!

"chicken with a herd of cattle" classic :rofl:
Old 12-15-2004, 03:11 PM

You could also try looking on ebay for a new headlight. That may be the easiest way of fixing your problem.

I lived in Chico for a months in a condo complex on Tom Polk Circle. Tell us more about your car. Sorry to hear about the Cow incident. That sucks.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I kinda did that chicken thing with a herd of horses, luckily it wasn't with my Z ......... whew ........ I was on a motorcycle. I wish I coulda seen the look on my face when I came around that corner.

you need to be patient but the best deals are on ebay.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Banned

ive got an extra set of headlights, make me an offer i cant refuse
Old 12-17-2004, 08:49 PM

Yep, I am the victory here there, well if one can be decared, there were a few of those B******s out in the road, coming around a turn at 70-80 or so (not excessive for Z owners, am I wrong???) and there stood what looked like a "Got Milk" commercial, there was nothing for me to do, the first hit my passenger side, the second hit the driver side (both mirrors ripped off, and a trail where the horn cut into the door like a can opener. I thought I was lucky...HA!!! Karma took its toll on me for all those steaks I have been putting away. The third one just stood in my headlights and looked at me, I did not even attempt to break, my only hope was to hit him and go under, so I gunned it, he hit my windshield then landed on my back window and missed the T's all together, one of the only things I can remember about this is looking up and seeing those legs up in the air.
I walked away with nothing, the car, <sniff><sniff> she is going to be a challenge, but not without hope.
Couple of things to note, if you are on Hwy 36 in Northern California, around the Ruth Lake area, there are wild cows, and the majority of that highway is open range, (nice way of saying I am financially responsible for my attempts of making hamburgers). Second, the Z spirit is alive and saved my life, there is not a car that was going over 20 miles an hour that could have avoided this, chances are, most would not be able to slide under and keep its driver safe insde. I am blessed with my choice of vehicles, this one saved my @ss, for that I ower her the restoration at whatever cost. Thanks for the comments, it does help to draw some humor from this.
FOr any interested in seeing this carnage first hand, my yahoo account m_curlett has a public image folder that has a couple of her in her prime, after the unfortunate rainy night and soon to come, updated progress images, I have a hard time even letting her out of the garage, she is just not herself :-(

I do thank those who have stepped forward, I would love to talk about the light, and the mirrors, after that it is cosmetic, but then again she will always be beautiful to me.

Here is her images, I will get updated ones of work done thus far tomorrow on that site.

http://photos.yahoo.com/m_curlett

Last thing, please excuse my ignorance at the pricing of these, I found a site that has em new for about $250 (Thanks WhtFairladyZ).

Evan I don't want to short you on them but as you can see the damage is substantial, she is worth every penny, can you offer a suggest price, or anyone out there for that matter, I have looked on Ebay and those don't come around too much. So Evan, I don't want to offend you with a low ball, but I have to keep going with this till its end, and it is going to set me WAY back, I would like to offer $75 for the driver side??? Or do you prefer to part with both? Let me know if I am just way off base. Thanks again for the offer. Email is m_curlett@yahoo.com if that is ok or for your counter bid.

THanks all for the support,

M
Old 12-18-2004, 01:56 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Dirty cows.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:50 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Damn ........ The roofline and A-pillars are probably going to be the hardest part to fix. The other stuff mostly un-bolts. Make sure that area is close to perfect before putting in a new window, otherwise it won't be long before the new glass cracks.

That front cow definitely went Ohhhh $hit.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:18 AM

Yep that was the first thing, the windows, I am heading out to take a few more pics of it in progress. The roofline was definately the hardest thing to get right. But I have done that and the windows are replaced, just have to find the molding to go around it.

The pictures will be there in about an hour, but keep in mind for the flames the fenders are going to be replaced as well as the bumper cover and the hood, I just needed to get a fix and driver her so I had to make her look somewhat presentable.

Thanks for the suggestions and any other suggestions are more than appreciated.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Bad Speller

thamn them beef pounders. I feel you man that's gay. U can get the complete mouldings from http://www.Courtesyparts.com as far as the oem fenders and stuff I'd go to Z motorsports they have good parts for good prizes.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

How bad was your headlight enclosure hit?! Heck, I've had a sizable crack/hole in the driver's side headlight of my Z31 for over a year now, and a piece of clear tape was all I need! But the thing with my Z31 is that I could keep the headlight motor down, so nobody even notices the crack/hole/tape. It may be a little more difficult to pull that off with your Z32... :doh:

Last edited by Copper727; 12-18-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:33 PM

Could we please refrain from anymore of these horrific posts's. The next time I read one I might not have enough tissue handy to protect my keyboard.