300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Regret

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Über User

if you want a stock look with good performer the labree/sebring whatever it is is a good option.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Poor manufacturing leading to poor fitment at a ridiculously high price isn't enough for you to look elsewhere? LOL

They don't fit well.
They don't perform as well as the $590 HKS Hi-Power nor the Specialty Z exhausts.
The welding on the ones I've seen was shoddy at best.
Did I mention that they start at about $1200 and don't fit well?

For that kind of money, it better fit perfect and be the BEST performer... but it's neither of those things.

When it comes to an exhaust and any performance mod, form follows function. The function is helping exhaust gasses escape, and the form should follow that. This is why Specialty Z and HKS Hi-Power have almost no bends - less restriction. B&B was too busy making a nice sounding exhaust that looks pretty (after you drill out the bolt holds to get it to sit right), instead of making it perform like it should.
When you say, "they don't perform as well", what is the difference in performance? And if the performance difference shown on the dyno and what is experienced on the street isn't signigicant, then the next desired things would be the sound of the exhaust note and the look of the exhaust. Idk, maybe that's just me.

HKS sounds nice as well, but the look ruins it for a lot of people. Can't comment of the SZ exhaust, since I've never heard of one.

Last edited by DropTopTwin; 12-31-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Über User

you never heard of specialty Z ?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
you never heard of specialty Z ?

Nah. I haven't heard that exhaust yet.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

If you'd be comfortable knowing you paid $600 more and sacrificed 5-10rwhp, go for B&B. But I won't respect you for it (but who cares if I don't respect them - I'm just a bunch of liquid crystals on your computer monitor that are excited by electricity to display messages on a forum).

Best performers are HKS HiPower and Specialty Z. And Specialty Z looks better (and sounds better) than B&B. I seriously see no reason to buy any product other than one of these two.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM

If you'd be comfortable knowing you paid $600 more and sacrificed 5-10rwhp, go for B&B. But I won't respect you for it (but who cares if I don't respect them - I'm just a bunch of liquid crystals on your computer monitor that are excited by electricity to display messages on a forum).

I have friends who have B&Bs on their cars and they were happy with them. Outside of that I have no experiences with them. I think they look good and sound great. 5-10whp, to me, is pretty insignificant when you are running around 500. However, I'm always open to learning about new products and I am always to open to other people's opinions so I can get more info, but I'm not too worried about lack of respect I could receive on a forum. If I get the info I need, then my goal is complete, and during this time if I ask a stupid question or type something to show ignorance on my part, then oh well. That's part of learning.

And to be honest, getting or worrying about receiving respect on the internet is like worring about being the coolest kid on the short bus.

Basically what is the point?

Best performers are HKS HiPower and Specialty Z. And Specialty Z looks better (and sounds better) than B&B. I seriously see no reason to buy any product other than one of these two
Now this is useful info. Much appreciate it.

What are your opinions on snw's recommendation in Lebree?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 AM

eye lids

Man I regret buying those eye lids from e bay for the Z32, in the picture they look good. Once I got them it was thick plexi glass with double side tape. They look Horrible! my learn lesson is that pictures not always tell the whole story.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by mayitin
Man I regret buying those eye lids from e bay for the Z32, in the picture they look good. Once I got them it was thick plexi glass with double side tape. They look Horrible! my learn lesson is that pictures not always tell the whole story.
I hear you on that dude.

I wish I had seen my hood on a Z prior to my purchase.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 AM

You know I did see the hood one day at the gas station the guy was from Florida: it did look too Gotti to me, he aslo had the fenders flering out towards the doors with vents he said he wanted the fenders to provide outlet for the heat but as we were talking he stated he regrated doing it he said at first he was ok with it he thought it would grow to like it, but it did not.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by DropTopTwin
What are your opinions on snw's recommendation in Lebree?
LaBree = Specialty Z

Specialty Z contracted LaBree to make the exhaust systems for them. Since then, Specialty Z and LaBree had a falling out. Now, LaBree sells SZ's system as their own, and Specialty Z found a different supplier for the exhaust (or they make them in-house, I don't know for sure). Either way, I recommend SZ over LaBree just because SZ are the innovators and it's THEIR design... I don't want to support a company who basically stole a product (which happens a lot in the Z32 world).

But ultimately, they are the same exhaust. Money just either goes back into the Z32 world (SZ develops new products all the time) or to some people who are never going to make another Z32 part.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:27 PM

LaBree = Specialty Z

Specialty Z contracted LaBree to make the exhaust systems for them. Since then, Specialty Z and LaBree had a falling out. Now, LaBree sells SZ's system as their own, and Specialty Z found a different supplier for the exhaust (or they make them in-house, I don't know for sure). Either way, I recommend SZ over LaBree just because SZ are the innovators and it's THEIR design... I don't want to support a company who basically stole a product (which happens a lot in the Z32 world).

But ultimately, they are the same exhaust. Money just either goes back into the Z32 world (SZ develops new products all the time) or to some people who are never going to make another Z32 part.
Yes. I agree. I would rather contribute to the people who are the innovators and who are dedicated to serving the Zs. I wish I had someone near me with this exhaust so I can get a good feel for the sound though.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of exhaust is on your Z? Are you happy with the system or would you like to get a replacement? If you are planning to replace it, what don't you like about the exhaust?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I have HKS HiPower and I will not replace it with anything else. Why would I want to pay money to sacrifice horsepower?

An exhaust isn't a cosmetic mod, it's a performance mod... and I bought mine with that in mind.