300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Vehicle sitting for 24 years. Where do i start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 05:51 PM

Vehicle sitting for 24 years. Where do i start?

Greetings. Im new to the forum.

I have a project car (90 Twin Turbo 5speed) that has been sitting for 24 years. Its sitting in a garage on concrete, however, i would be better to just call it a barn (think snakes, rodents, etc). Its been covered with car cover so exterior is in decent shape having been parked for so long. It was parked with fuel in tank and no provisions for being parked. This may not be a worst case scenario, but its def not far from it. My brother parked it at our family farm in Texas with the intent of "just storing it a couple of months." 24 years later, here we are.

Im retiring soon and this is one of the projects that im going to be taking up. I would like to get this car back on the road for my brother. Ive been wrenching on cars and bikes most of my life. My experience has exclusively been on American made GM cars and all carb vehicles (no fuel injection). Im plead my ignorance in Japanese made cars and fuel injection (and turbos).

Im sure there are plenty of forum posts on returning a car to service after sitting for a long time. Would someone be so kind as to point me to posts or give me some ideas on keywords to search? Im not asking anyone to do the searching for me, i just dont want to spend a bunch of time searching as a noob when im sure someone here can point me in the right direction immediately.

Its probably going to be 6 months before i take up this project, but i want to start getting a plan in place for this project. From what i do remember, these vehicles are very densely packed so im sure im going to have my work cut out for me. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

darrell3001