300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Z cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Sam

Z cutting out.

Hey.. i just socketed my ECU and installed the SZ chip.. everything was proper.. and when going back home to install boost jets.. my Z cuts out when accelerating above 4000RPM i thought maybe the EPROM is programmed to work with boost jets.. so i installed boost jets and pushing 13PSI however the problem is still there..
P.S it used to happen rarely before even in safe mode..

A clean explanation of the problem that i got from another forum while searching is:
While boosting up from low Rpm at wide open throttle it will completely cut out. It cuts out instantly untill the revs drop down or you clutch it and give it a few revs.
When it cuts out you cant rev it it feels like someone has just turned the key off.

There are no other symptoms, no loss of idle quality or power.

.i actually made a list on what things i may be checking in a few days: 1-fuel filter 2-injectors OHM test 3-MAF 4-connections on ignition coils 5-CAS 6-TPS connector 7-fuel pump? 8-spark plugs.

I hope you guys can help me out on this one..
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

MAF, TPS, and fuel pump are most likely culprits of such symptoms. I see you're learning well, as all of those things are on your list.

P.S. Just to prevent any concern, it's not likely a result of the ECU, but it may be related to it... the increase in power may have pushed a worn part past its limits.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Sam

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
MAF, TPS, and fuel pump are most likely culprits of such symptoms. I see you're learning well, as all of those things are on your list.

P.S. Just to prevent any concern, it's not likely a result of the ECU, but it may be related to it... the increase in power may have pushed a worn part past its limits.

Hey Zlover, well i did a series of tests today...

Test i did before:
I ordered a MAF from Greg and installed it and car ran slightly better thou didnt fix cutting out..
I cleaned all the connections and didnt find corrosion on any except the maf connector so i cleaned it very well and more than once thou the Z is cutting again..
I wiggled with the CAS connector when idle => no difference so the connector is good..

The tests i did today:
1) i cleaned the throttle bodies.
2) i hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and the pressure was as follows
-at idle: ~40 psi which is good i think
-when i unplugged the vaccum hose from the regulator: pressure rose to 47psi
-at WOT: ~68psi which is also good i think.
So the problem is not fuel related... the cut is due to an electrical issue

3)So i measured the voltage of the TPS: at idle: 0.47-0.48
at WOT: ~4.2
so TPS is good..

I also ordered a series 2 PTU as i will be sooner or later upgrading it. but it didnt arrive yet.. but i dont think my PTU is malfunctioning since it also cuts out even when it isnt hot.
I will also order a boost leak tester just to see if there is a leak somewhere thou the boost gauge shows no difference in boost between runs.

Any ideas ?? thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 AM
Sam

And btw my mechanic told me to remove the SZ chip... but i told him i dont think it is an issue due to the chip since even before i had this cutting but it rarely happened (once a month) but as you said i think the cut is not because of the ecu or chip but it is due to the increase in power the chip+boost jets gave which stressed something who wasnt working perfectly...
i dont know im out of ideas

additional info: Z cuts out even when not in motion and revving to limiter . cuts and then sputters for around 10 seconds...and then everything goes back to normal.